Senior Year: Loose Leaf or Exercise Book? (1 Viewer)

lightthefuze

HSC
Hi all,

I'm going stationery shopping a few weeks and I was wondering whether using loose leaf or an exercise book would be better for years 11 & 12.
My subjects are below in my signature and I'm eager to see your opinions on which format would be useful.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say exercise book because then you have all your notes in one place and don't have to worry about losing bits and pieces.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
In year 11, i used loose leaflets for all my subjects and kept them in a binder folder with subject dividers.

But for the first term of HSC, I bought Legal Studies, Economics and Chemistry notebooks. So I use my folder of leaflets for maths and english only. That said, a folder is really good for keeping handouts and whatnot. Do what I did, and use both. By the looks of your subjects, youre going to get heaps of handouts, so a folder would be good for that.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think exercise book and having a folder for subjects where you get given a lot of notes is the most useful, you can contact the exercise book so that it can last for a year without necessarily falling apart. It is important to write down stuff rather than type everything because in the exam you will have to write, and if you type-your handwriting will slow down/become less legible as a result of the lack of practice. I know some people who use both loose leafs and exercise books, I think ultimately you have to make the decision-what you prefer-it doesn't really matter as long as you keep everything in one place and you don't lose them.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hi all,

I'm going stationery shopping a few weeks and I was wondering whether using loose leaf or an exercise book would be better for years 11 & 12.
My subjects are below in my signature and I'm eager to see your opinions on which format would be useful.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
I used exercise books in year 11, loose leaf in year 12.

Found loose leaf way more flexible and it was better for me because you can take notes in and out and put them wherever. I also didn't have to worry about carrying so many books to school everyday :)

It's up to you and your own preferences though.

gwilymprice

HSC
Exercise book, many I just preferred that as there was less chance of me losing things, which I always do!

madharris

HSC
N/A
I used loose leaf in year 11, however i was lazy and unorganised and it became more of a hindrance. I swapped to normal exercise books and it worked a lot better for me in terms of organisation

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Back in the days, I always hold a few leafs of paper on my hand throughout the school days. Not the best thing, but it's personal preference.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I used exercise books for taking down notes in class. I can't be too specific about your subjects because we only have English advanced in common. But with the handouts I got in class, I kept them in a binder folder. It really depends on your personal preference though when it comes to exercise book versus loose leaf. At uni, I began using loose leaf because I could carry a few select pages versus a whole exercise book which makes a considerable difference weight wise. But in high school, I think using exercise books would be favoured if you aren't the most organised person plus you can refer back to notes you took earlier in the year and you don't have to carry a binder folder to every class which would be quite heavy with all your subjects stored in it.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
- loose leaf for maths
- probably an exercise book for english (i personally bring nothing to english class - thats if i do go - because it's so irrelevant and we do nothing)
- loose leaf for modern history
- exercise book for economics
- we get booklets/worksheets for legal studies

so both really it depends on your subs i guess and whichever works better for you

sleepyair

HSC
Buy both, but more on exercise books for your subjects. You'll probably need both anyway - there may be some things that you might not want to write in your exercise books, e.g. notes on assignment or whatever.

Merry Christmas :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Always go exercise book. All your lose leaf falls out, and you got people like me, scabbin for paper to do my maths on.

dim-sims

HSC
I used to use books and loose leafs in year 11 but I switched entirely to loose leafs with an exception to maths just because I find it easier to work in a book for maths.

If you're naturally an unorganised person definitely use books.

lightthefuze

HSC
Use books for your heavy-writing subjects (ie. for me it was Ancient and Legal) and loose leaf for others

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

dirty_ink

HSC
I actually really enjoyed using 5 subject books (inb45subjectbookh8)

Really? I've always avoided them like the plague out of fear that a particular section of pages wouldn't be sufficient and then a meltdown would ensue.

lightthefuze

HSC
Really? I've always avoided them like the plague out of fear that a particular section of pages wouldn't be sufficient and then a meltdown would ensue.
I too was the same, however I liked it how I didn't have to lug around a fat binder all the time. I could just chuck my spiral book and my laptop into my bag Plus free hands to avoid tripping over on public transport.

In response to the lack/overuse of pages meltdown, there are perforated pages that you could just take out from other subjects and place in the sheet holder at the end of each 'section' of the book

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)