Semester I Chatter Thread (2007) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenothing

no member
HSC
Re: Semester I 2007 - Chatter Thread!

Carslaw is okay. Hate Wallace, the chairs look like they've had blood on them and if you lean back in them then your whole body angle thing is complately wrong.

HSC

lala2 said:
Haha, I'm in Bosch all year so if anyone wants to come and pretend to be a nerdy pharmer...say hi! :D

P.S. On a "related" note....two high school friends dragged me along to their ECOP1001 lecture (they're both doing International Studies/Law, and somehow ECOP1001 was part of their International Studies degree?), Wed, 3-4pm lecture in Merewether. Very interesting indeed--the definition of "capital", and how "restructuring of capital has economic, social and political consequences". The lecturer was a Frank something, with a number of books under his belt, and he said that, if you approach him with his book that you bought, he'll give you back his $5 royalty as a cashback ;)
ahh I remeber the restructuring of capital lecture...vaguely. Wuv Frank.

Hate my Soc Theory lecturer. He talks in circiles - his way of explaining ideas is to repeat them over and over again. Gr.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

thenothing said:
and if you lean back in them then your whole body angle thing is complately wrong.
So it wasn't just my chair then.

gelina

HSC

stazi said:
then why the hell is she doing law, a course that involves a billion pages of readings in English each day?
Parents? hah

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Has anyone ever had a lecture by this Lai guy before? Fudging hilarious! He was doing simple arithmetic on the board and got confused and started scratching his head, staring at the board wondering where he went wrong. Iuno, hard to explain. Awesome lecturer at any rate.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC

He's the Life Science Calculus guy isn't he? ahaha

I've got him as my tutor for the first half of semester, but tutes dont start till next week so yeah.... I hear he's funny as all hell. Unfortunately I go to the 8am lectures so I get some old boring guy that tries to be funny but fails.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I dunno, that comment about saving a lot of people due to him choosing not to become a doctor was kinda funny. i go to a different stream depending on the day. you should definately go at least one of Lai's lectures.

Alyson-Devereau

HSC

thenothing said:
Carslaw is okay. Hate Wallace, the chairs look like they've had blood on them and if you lean back in them then your whole body angle thing is complately wrong.
You're so right about the bloody Wallace chairs. Both the actual blood thing and the body angle thing. Has anyone also noticed that if someone in your row is, say, jiggling their leg, then everyone else knows?

J

jhakka

Malfoy said:
JHakka, that would be Assoc Prof John Pryor. Is he known for doing this? It's completely insane. I don't know how I'm going to keep up with the course!
When I did "Europe in the High Middle Ages", it was pretty much the same. We had to download the readings each week, he'd ramble on about some crap and just assume we all knew about everything during the period before we even studied it, etc, etc. He was the only lecturer, though.

He knows his stuff, but I don't think he teaches well. I found the lack of a resource book/set texts really painful, and just barely passed the unit. I spent most of the lectures half asleep.

There were also a bunch of old ladies who would sit at the front and laugh at all his jokes, have in-jokes with him and generally suck up. That was funny.

thenothing

no member
HSC

Alyson-Devereau said:
You're so right about the bloody Wallace chairs. Both the actual blood thing and the body angle thing. Has anyone also noticed that if someone in your row is, say, jiggling their leg, then everyone else knows?
It's awful :(

Uhm.. be my friend? :D

thenothing

no member
HSC

I'm going to try and get into one of the other histories, that Europe in the High Middle Ages sounds boring.

J

jhakka

thenothing said:
I'm going to try and get into one of the other histories, that Europe in the High Middle Ages sounds boring.
It is. CHANGE NOW!

thenothing

no member
HSC

jhakka said:
It is. CHANGE NOW!
Yeah, I'm going to tomorrow.

Do you know where I go to change it? It won't matter much that I missed a couple of lectures will it?

J

jhakka

thenothing said:
Yeah, I'm going to tomorrow.

Do you know where I go to change it? It won't matter much that I missed a couple of lectures will it?
As far as I know, you can still do it through your Student Admin in MyUni, and can do it now.

Malfoy said:
This does not bode well. I spent the first couple of lectures watching things go over my head, so yeah the lack of texts and the expectation you know everything already don't sound too good!

Hopefully I'll pass it.

That and ANHS2691 and Educational Psych will be the death of me this semester, for real.
If you do enough reading and preparation for the essays you should be fine. And cross your fingers for a take home exam.

Ed Psych is pretty dull. The essay is killer, too. I said all I wanted to in 500 words, and then had 1500 in padding. I gave up on lectures half way through and still managed a fairly decent mark.

... shits I've been nowhere near as motivated as I should be. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

thenothing

no member
HSC

Doesn't look like I can do it, I went into 'enrolment variations' then it has 'course selection' with no list :/

thenothing

no member
HSC

Yeah, me too. Hate anything 'group'.

Anyway, I looked at the help and stuff, they say:
How to add a Unit of Study

Click "Add Unit of Study". Three windows appear above the button.
Type in the correct alpha and numeric UoS codes (from your faculty handbook) and the correct semester.
Click "Save Changes".
You will receive a message saying "Update of your degree has been performed successfully".
The Unit of Study status now reads CURENR (i.e. Current enrolment)

But I have no idea where "Add Unit of Study" is. It's bloody rocket science. Can't find it anywhere :( I think I'll give up. Have to wake up at 6:30am and I'll be at uni all day until 6pm.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

jhakka said:
When I did "Europe in the High Middle Ages", it was pretty much the same. We had to download the readings each week, he'd ramble on about some crap and just assume we all knew about everything during the period before we even studied it, etc, etc. He was the only lecturer, though.

He knows his stuff, but I don't think he teaches well. I found the lack of a resource book/set texts really painful, and just barely passed the unit. I spent most of the lectures half asleep.

There were also a bunch of old ladies who would sit at the front and laugh at all his jokes, have in-jokes with him and generally suck up. That was funny.
The thing with the no reader and the no textbook and the 'lectures are more to stimulate your own research than to teach you' made me sceptical. I'm just hoping that the fairly short essays and the take-home exam make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)