Semester 2 Results (1 Viewer)

~*chocho*~

HSC
ricenoodles, i found gent1502 pretty interesting, and i dont think its too hard, once you understand the concepts. Its a second year education subject (which i didnt find out until i went to the first lecture). It only went for 9 weeks, which was good because you can concentrate on other subjects in the later weeks of semester. But there are quite a few assessment tasks.. We had: class test (10%), presentation (10%), essay (40%) and final exam (40%)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
rand0m3r said:
just wondering... are you suppose to actually receive something if you graduate with an overall WAM >= 75.00 ?
As redslert said: The feeling that you are superior to others but dumber than all the HD achieving bastards.

However, in addition to this sensational feeling, on your testamur it is trecorded that you have earnt a "Bachelor of Commerce with Distinction". It looks nice whenyou frame it and hang it up, just top let every1 else know that you did well in your degree.

Also D averages get noticed at job interviews, and are prerequisites for some organisations such as the Reserve Bank.

ace

is retired
HSC
Bachelor of Commerce with 1st Class Honours, now that looks even better :)

or any degree for that matter, commerce is just an example

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
mr_shittles said:
However, in addition to this sensational feeling, on your testamur it is trecorded that you have earnt a "Bachelor of Commerce with Distinction". It looks nice whenyou frame it and hang it up, just top let every1 else know that you did well in your degree.
Does it?
I'm looking at my sister's one and it doesn't say anything.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Does this BComm with Distinction also apply to those studying combined degrees? If that's the case, the BComm (DN) seems pretty flawed as subjects from other faculties probably would distort your WAM compared to ordinary BComm students.

grimreaper

HSC
§eraphim said:
Does this BComm with Distinction also apply to those studying combined degrees? If that's the case, the BComm (DN) seems pretty flawed as subjects from other faculties probably would distort your WAM compared to ordinary BComm students.
I know that in the case of my double degree, honours for software engineering is only decided by the wam of the subjects that are taken as a part of that degree - subjects taken as a part of my commerce degree are not included.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
BComm with DN <- just another gimmick like the Advanced Science in the BSc. If you pick the right subjects and do well enough, employers should pick up on it from your transcript/application. I doubt those few words really are worth getting fussed over.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
From the FCE website:

Pass with Merit/Distinction Policy
The following Policy was approved by the Academic Board and took effect for students commencing from January 2003:

1. Formal recognition of excellence in overall academic performance in undergraduate pass degrees will be given where an award with Honours is not available.
2. The award of Pass with Distinction will be given when a Distinction level of performance based on a weighted average mark (WAM) of at least 75% has been achieved in all courses completed since enrolment at UNSW which are credited to the relevant award.
3. Recognition of other specified levels of academic performance for Pass degrees on the testamur will not be permitted.
4. The application for the award of Pass with Distinction for undergraduate pass degrees must be approved by the Faculty Program Office.
5. The Pass with Distinction will be awarded in the following degree programs:
* Bachelor of Commerce (3502)
* Bachelor of Economics (3543)
* Bachelor of Science (Information Systems) (3979)
* Bachelor of Commerce in Service Marketing – Tourism and Hospitality (3571); and
* associated programs including combined degrees
6. Students who commenced prior to January 2003 may qualify for the Pass degree with Merit. Students will be given the option to take out the degree with Merit or Distinction: for the latter option students must satisfy the requirements of the policy approved above.
7. From the 1st January 2003, no commencing students will be permitted to take out the Bachelor of Commerce with Merit or the Bachelor of Economics with Merit.

gman03

HSC
neeja said:
neeja is inferior to no-one!
Let neeja1, neeja2 be a clone of neeja.

Suppose neeja is inferior to no-one.

Then neeja1 is inferior to no-one. so neeja1 is not inferior to neeja2.

BUT neeja2 is ALSO inferior to no-one. Which is a contradiction.

Hence neeja is inferior to himself.

j/k

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Minai said:
1. Formal recognition of excellence in overall academic performance in undergraduate pass degrees will be given where an award with Honours is not available.
So does this mean: if you're doing an accounting major (honor IS available) then you wont get it even if u have a D ave but choose not to do the honors?

rand0m3r

HSC
Eagles said:
So does this mean: if you're doing an accounting major (honor IS available) then you wont get it even if u have a D ave but choose not to do the honors?
no, i think you should be able to get pass with distinction if you chose not to do honours. but if you chose honours you won't get it coz it'll show your honours, which is better anyway.

anyway, reading that abstract of the policy, i think it doesn't apply if you started studying at UNSW later than jan 2003.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
No, it applies to all students that commenced after 2003
There was a previous "pass with merit" policy that was discontinued at the end of 2002

Shawny

i heard before like if u get a credit average
they give u this pass with merit shit

then it got too easy and they changed it to pass with distinction

rand0m3r

HSC
what happens when you do a double degree and you get honours in the other degree and also distinction in commerce? will it show both... that would look pretty awesome commerce with distinction and other degree with 1st-class honours.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Follow on from that question, do you get two pieces of paper when you do double degree (eg comm/sci)? Or just one....hmm

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
Follow on from that question, do you get two pieces of paper when you do double degree (eg comm/sci)? Or just one....hmm
separate testamurs i think.

thunda

HSC
redslert said:

yep you get two separate pieces of paper. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)