Semester 1 - Course Selection [ What the...? ] (1 Viewer)

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could demystify and distinguish these courses for me:

Firstly;
MATH1131 Mathematics 1A
or
MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A

Secondly;
PHYS1131 Higher Physics 1A
or
PHYS1121 Physics 1A
or
PHYS1111 Fundamentals of Physics

I mean, How 'high' is higher maths, what sort of branches of math are involved, etc? I did 4u math in Year 12 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The same applies to physics.

PS. This 'online enrolment' approach that UNSW takes gives me a headache. Other universities appear to be more personal and hands on; my friends have been asked to personally go to the university and get ID cards and choose subjects, etc.

Anyways, if someone could please help me out that would be greatly appreciated. Looking back on this post, it seems that some of my english is non-sensical at times... please excuse this, as I'm writting in a hurry. If you don't understand just ask!

That's what I'm doing...

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
What were your marks in 4u? If they were good, then do 1141, otherwise do 1131. 1131 is designed for average 4u or ok 3u students. 1141 is for good 4u students.

gman03

HSC
What I said in another post about maths

Higher maths is not like they will teach you things outside uni maths, but actually teach things a little bit faster and a bit more in depth. In first year it will teaches you concept that will be introduced in second year anyway (second year elec subjects AND second year maths subject). People who did ordinary maths or didn't pay attention to higher maths have the "what the fuk" look when the lecture spend little time going over it while people who have done higher maths don't see what so new about it. Now if you get a "what the fuk" feeling in the first few weeks of a course you will struggle through out the year (as a lot of people did... just have to look at the mid-year exam results...)

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
Stefano said:
I mean, How 'high' is higher maths, what sort of branches of math are involved, etc? I did 4u math in Year 12 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The same applies to physics.
Maths 1A follows on from three unit. If you did four unit, you'll already know some of the content.

Higher Maths 1A does all of the stuff in maths 1A, but kinda throws you in at the deep end. The handbook says you should do higher if you got above 185 in 3-unit and 4-unit combined.

Here is the syllabus for math1131, it shows what extra content you do in 1141 as well.
http://www2.maths.unsw.edu.au/ForStudents/courses/math1131/syllabus.pdf

I did a different physics course to those, so i can't tell you much about those courses specifically. Uni physics has a more mathematical approach than hsc physics. Bit of a shock at first.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
drewbrow1 said:
Maths 1A follows on from three unit. If you did four unit, you'll already know some of the content.

Higher Maths 1A does all of the stuff in maths 1A, but kinda throws you in at the deep end. The handbook says you should do higher if you got above 185 in 3-unit and 4-unit combined.

Here is the syllabus for math1131, it shows what extra content you do in 1141 as well.
http://www2.maths.unsw.edu.au/ForStudents/courses/math1131/syllabus.pdf

I did a different physics course to those, so i can't tell you much about those courses specifically. Uni physics has a more mathematical approach than hsc physics. Bit of a shock at first.

jesus man even actuarials only wants 180....

this is really scaring me.

like i got 188 (so its over it) but... still, not by a comfortable margin.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Basically in Higher subjects, you tend to go a little more in depth with various content, the teaching speed is a little faster, and you learn a little bit more.

As for the whole 3unit, 4unit debate, it doesn't matter that much. Working consistently is much more important than scoring a certain mark in HSC Maths. I didn't do 4unit, and still managed to do well in MATH1151/1251 (higher, higher maths)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
The mark guidelines are bullshit, they even vary on the unsw site lol.

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
Thank you for your very quick and helpful responses!

This has put things a bit more in perspective. My marks for 4u ranged from 50-95 depending in the topic and the amount of study, heh. I'm quite positive I can cope with this level of math If I try.

The only thing concerning me now is the physics. I think I'll do the 'normal' physics, to aleviate some stress and to also amend some timetable clashes I'm currently experiencing.

Once again, thanks to all!

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
sikeveo said:
The mark guidelines are bullshit, they even vary on the unsw site lol.
i noticed that...

one place is like req's for math 1A: *E4 in Math Ext 1
then another place: E3 in Math Ext 1

they just try to scare you to study i think....

most of the syllabous seems like the 4unit one.
minus matricies *scared*

NT-social

HSC
is it true that we arent allowed calculators????
BUT how is that possible...i depend on it so much...

gman03

HSC
NT-social said:
calculators ... useless if every question is to prove a lemma/theorem.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I wouldnt worry too much about that whole 185 in 3/4 unit criteria, it really doesnt mean a whole lot. I only did 3 unit and took all maths at an advanced level last year, albeit at usyd, and I managed fine, and pulled out 4 HDs in 4 advanced maths subject. I was even allowed to do the special studies program (the level above advanced maths :eek: ) in second semester due to my marks in first semester. I didnt take it out of laziness, something i regret.

edit: the only thing i use calculators for is when i forget what 7x8 is. I'm horrible with times tables :( You wont need them that much

elfm

HSC
NT-social said:
you're not allowed calculators in the 5 class tests (24%) and are allowed them in the final exam (70%).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)