Self destructive behaviour. (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I thought this would make an interesting thread topic. Do you know someone who, however much they would like things to go well, always ends up doing everything possible to demolish their chances? What do they do, and what do you think causes it?

I know someone very well who is exactly like this. His cycle is something like seeing something he wants, analysing it and deciding that through some personal fault he can't get it, tries anyway, of course is denied then proceeds to eliminate whatever other paths may remain to getting that which he wants.

It's very frustrating to watch.

lengstar

HSC
Sometimes its hard to see it ourselves until after the situation has occured and sometime we may never see it at all. What the person needs is to be given suggestions based on previous actions about where he may improve so as to learn from previous experiences.

mack

Banned
HSC
I have a friend like that. It is very sad to watch, it was even the cause of him leaving school last week(with around than a month to go before HSC.) He is a very pessimistic person, he will always overemphasise the negative points of an action or decision and then not go with it because of it. It is a terrible thing to happen, lately he has been sitting around doing nothing, alienating everyone and just snapping rudely at me. I have trouble communicating with him now.

berry580

HSC
I thought this would make an interesting thread topic. Do you know someone who, however much they would like things to go well, always ends up doing everything possible to demolish their chances? What do they do, and what do you think causes it?

I know someone very well who is exactly like this. His cycle is something like seeing something he wants, analysing it and deciding that through some personal fault he can't get it, tries anyway, of course is denied then proceeds to eliminate whatever other paths may remain to getting that which he wants.

Well I haven't really met someone like this, but I can imagine someone too extremely in this direction is devastating (on that person).
If you want to be nice, you can say he needs help, or if you want to be part of reality, you can say the truth and say someone like this is worthless.

In fact, if I think more closely, I do remember myself temporarily being someone like that.
When I lie on my bed before sleeping, all these past experiences just start coming, and all these negative points just pops up in my head, and I just start pulling my hair and crying all of a sudden (luck I have short hair :p), but I soon get tired and sleep, and I'll be alright the next morning. :)
This was when I was young (13< yr old). And this doesn't happen anymore (for the past few years atleast).
Well I guess the key to success is to think logically and don't give up easily. (although I'm not really successful in anything. :( )

Asquithian said:
lol one of your freinds ay ;) :p
LOL!

What are you trying to suggest? :rolleyes:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:

yeah hes talking about me

SipSip

HSC
N/A
People who have self destructive behaviour are often people with little confidence with themselves, and with such little confidence, they've lost the chance of success before they even "try anyway" and to be honest, harshly saying, if one destroys all paths after just one failure, they should ask themselves do they really want their goal to succeed, or do they even want to succeed....and from another persons perspective, do they really deserve to succeed. Life is too hard and complicated for one to just succeed with one strike...it might happen, but it is unlikely....and if we're talking about going for a person...then even if you get the person's love first strike....sooner or later they'll end up losing them because the person will soon find out how "weak" (sorri to say) that person really is....

If you really want to acheive something, work at it until you've exhausted every path, because even if you fail after that, the experience from it is priceless. Even i myself spent an entire year going for something and finally had to let go after i dunno how many failures...but it's experience....

To all the self destructive people out there, if you can think of a way, that means that there's a chance, and if there's a chance, have confidence in your way and head for possible success. But if you start off countering your plan already...then there's no way you'll succeed....

SipSip

HSC
N/A
I'm having a break from studying full force for mid-sem....and my brain was in a pondering mood....so yeah ^^

But the human mind is always the hardest to decode...almost impossible....

lengstar

HSC
i'm still trying to decode mine, i know i wont be able to but if i manage to decode even a fraction of it it'll be worth it.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Take your friend to a motivational speaker or something...they can do wonders for someone with a pessimistic mind...look at me!

berry580

HSC
burkeyyy said:
does anyone think that a relationship, where someone is depressed or self-destructive, will eventually fall apart? is it kinda a no-hope situation?
It most likely would, but then and again, your partner may love you so much that s/he continues to support you. (well atleast there's such things in the movies :p )

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I think ontopic:

I have a friend who is really unlucky. If he buys a new car, it stuff up easily. He's been to the hospital a few times for things that were easily avoidable and, I kinda love this story, one day he was riding a bike (on the road) out the front of his house and was given a fine for not wearing a helmet.

edit: on topic for love and relationships, he once went out with this chick that kept dumping him, once on his birthday. She was a slut and he wouldnt leave her alone even when she was obviously liking other guys.

Last edited:

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
burkeyyy said:
does anyone think that a relationship, where someone is depressed or self-destructive, will eventually fall apart? is it kinda a no-hope situation?
umm well i was depressed earlier last year and have had relapses of it every now and again since....and i was with my boyfriend for the whole of that period. we broke up when i was better, but it had nothing at all to do with my depression. we wouldnt of broken up if he hadnt moved 4 hours away and we couldnt deal with that anymore. my depression didnt affect us at all.
if anyone watches the footy show, last thursday they interviewed a uy who battled depression and wrote a book about it. he is married and his wife stayed with him through it all.
just because someone is depressed etc doesnt meen the relationship fall apart. it depends on the people. some can handle it and it makes the realtionship strgoner, and with others they cant deal with the load that it puts on them

Generator

HSC
N/A
Self destructive behaviour? I'd call it a pragmatic take on life.

LoUiE SmOoiE

valentines day sux
HSC
yeh alot fo my friends are lik that...they say they want sumfing lik a 80 uai but then they dnt study anyways so they screw there own chances etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)