Selective Schools: Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

HSC
cunny funt said:
how'd u go in trials akaihanabi and nirvanafreak
who are you?

trials:
good for the amount of studying i did
in comparison to everyone else, better than average
i'm happy enough with my ranks

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
cunny funt said:
how'd u go in trials akaihanabi and nirvanafreak
i went great in trials, but my overall rank sucked -_- except for maths. but it's ok i think Oo just need to smash the externals and i'll be fine *crosses fingers* how'd you go?

mijoe

HSC
I made it into selective through natural talent, with a bit of help from doing some Selective test practice books that my parents forced me to do, being asian and all. The view that selective school student are socially awkward and lack communication is not necessarily true, there are only minorities like that which would usually be seen in any school. Also, tutoring does not necessarily help you that much. I went there on one occasion to do a practice test, I thought there were only 40 questions and finished like 15 minutes early. But I came second after guessing c for everything after the first 40, turns out there were 60 questions ==.

taeheex3

HSC
I'm so sick of these selective school arguments. Im in yr 12 and i go to Hornsby Girls' so i know what it's like in a selective. I have friends in other selective schools but many in public schools.

a) A student is pushed to the limit with study at the age of ten
- I got into a selective school by writing out my spelling words once a day and doing a page of maths for homework.

b) When they are entered into a selective school, there is always one or two smart freaks who achieve exponentially better marks than this student at one or more subjects, giving the student comparatively low self esteem.
-Like there aren't 'smart freaks' in public schools. Some guy at Epping boys got 100 UAI last year.

c) This low self esteem can be compared to the low self esteem of someone who is "dumb" in a comprehensive school
-If you have low self esteem then you have low self esteem. Go see a counsellor.

e)Comprehensive students at this point often change schools to a private or selective school where they are put up against much smarter students than those in their old school, and it takes them months to adapt.
-If they choose to move schools then thats their choice. Adapting to any school is hard, expecially if your your a stranger who enters into a grade who has had years of bonding time.

b) Selective school children have notoriously bad communication skills, and need to attend "interview tuition" to give the allusion of a good personality.
-wtf is 'interview tuition'. do you go there? your arguments are so weak your making things up. I just got a callback from myer telling me i got the job after a group interview. AND NO I'VE NEVER BEEN TO INTERVIEW TUITION!

e) There is bullying BETWEEN selective schools, let alone between selective schools and comprehensive schools. Additionally, there is a large section of society who will judge a child based on their school. these students ARE aware of this, and what follows is lower self esteem.
-bullying between selective schools? so what.. a whole mob of us go over to north sydney and go fight them or something? i don't know about you and your friends, but i get along with other selective school students just fine.

We all know that the selective schools test is not an adequate measure of capacity, those of us at selective schools all know one person who was smarter than us in year 6 who didnt get in to as good a school as we did. Theres little room for advancement in later years and it just gets tedious.
-If the kid was smarter then you and you got into selective then chances are, they would have too. Saying theres no room for advancement in later years is just a stupid excuse for laziness. You want it, you work for it, then you'll get it.

I hate school in general, the sheer repetitiveness of it, but i love my school. It's friendly, we're not competitive with eachother (we share notes around), and the only reason people want to do well is because they have high career ambitions.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Anus McLovin said:
My bad. I meant people can't go to those schools on natural talent alone. You gotta study a little..even the slightest goes a long way in year 6.

And as for the social awkward thing, i intentionally left the word "most" in there because at these schools the "normal" ones actually happen to be a minority, at the most 50-50. It's only around year 11 and 12 about 1/2 of those 50% open up, and so really, for 4 years of school, it's only 1/4 of the school prepared for the outside world.
Lol, sadly so true for me =[

Except i opened up in y9 XD

I guess im not exactly the smooth talking guy, but i can strike up conversation with girls.

And, anyways I like going to a top 10 school, it makes me realise how unspecial I am and that I have to work hard to get to where i want to go. I understand that I'm not god in intelligence, and that my natural ability won't get me anywhere.

And for absolutely no reason, here is a Ninja:ninja:

lionking1191

HSC
jaychouf4n said:
Lol, sadly so true for me =[

Except i opened up in y9 XD

I guess im not exactly the smooth talking guy, but i can strike up conversation with girls.

And, anyways I like going to a top 10 school, it makes me realise how unspecial I am and that I have to work hard to get to where i want to go. I understand that I'm not god in intelligence, and that my natural ability won't get me anywhere.

And for absolutely no reason, here is a Ninja:ninja:
ok you were all smooth until that part

ASNSWR127

HSC
Well I got into a selective high school but turned it down (Penrith)

I think it would be much better to have all options open to a student rather than uni, career etc etc

I mean what is wrong with a trade? or a more vocational job? However they are certainly better than private schools

But the other day I wasa talking to some guy about something and he was obsessed with physics.

So obsessed he talked too much abut it and I don't have an outstanding knowledge or pasion for it and his arrogance for his "nuclear physicist career" or some BS was outstanding.... I could have knocked him flat but showed much restraint lol.

I don't think it is good in any circumstance to show or encourage elitism.

lionking1191

HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
Well I got into a selective high school but turned it down (Penrith)

I think it would be much better to have all options open to a student rather than uni, career etc etc

I mean what is wrong with a trade? or a more vocational job? However they are certainly better than private schools

But the other day I wasa talking to some guy about something and he was obsessed with physics.

So obsessed he talked too much abut it and I don't have an outstanding knowledge or pasion for it and his arrogance for his "nuclear physicist career" or some BS was outstanding.... I could have knocked him flat but showed much restraint lol.

I don't think it is good in any circumstance to show or encourage elitism.
if he was crazy about football and talked all day long about it would still feel the same way?

Azreil

HSC
I'm not in one of the top selective schools like Ruse, but I go to Merewether High -- one of the "regional" selective schools, in Newcastle. Yes, we cop it for being the nerds, the losers, anything else you want to throw in? But every school has a stigma -- be it the dropkicks, the social outcasts, the failures.

I've enjoyed my time at Merewether as a general rule and it is the competitiveness and the opportunities I've had that have made it so. I could be going to my local public school, and be dux of every course I do (and no, I'm not exaggerating nor stereotyping here, I know people and the tests they do there). I wouldn't have done the twenty credit points worth of university that I have, though, and I wouldn't have done business studies last year. Nor would I have the marks I do -- I'd be first, and that would be enough. I need the goal of those "freaks" you mention -- who, by the way, are not just naturally talented, I know some people who without fail, did 10 hours of study per weekend, every weekend -- to keep me motivated and working.

Self esteem issues? Yup. Been there. Done that. If you have issues, they're going to be exposed no matter what school you go to.

I couldn't have afforded a private school -- my parents threatened me with boarding school, but it was a threat that could never be acted on. I didn't WANT to go to the grammar schools around here, so I refused to go the the scholarship interviews. What a selective school has offered me in comparison to a comprehensive school has been amazing, and I would do it again -- without question.

shadow5

HSC
The Idea behind selective schools is to place people with high intellects in one place so that they will all mutually benefit from each others presence

I believe they are a very good thing.

Re: private schools.

Don't perform as well as selective schools but have more of a values based curriculum.

studentcheese

HSC
Selective schools cater for the needs of the gifted and talented students. If I wasn't accepted into selective in Year 6, I would be pulling my hair out in class at the lack of challenges provided. :) Look at this...

In primary school, we learnt our times tables in Year 3 and in Year 6 we were still doing them!!!! I slept in class all the time :) With selective schools, the challenging environment gives talented students the motivation to succeed.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Bahahaha.
People do practice exams for the selective test?
lol.
What a waste.
That's like studying for the School Certificate.

studentcheese

HSC
moll. said:
Bahahaha.
People do practice exams for the selective test?
lol.
What a waste.
That's like studying for the School Certificate.
Because of Asian Parents. :mad: Most of them don't know that it's a skills test and they expect their kids to memorise everything in past papers. LOL, we didnt even know how to study back then :)

LOL, however it's usually the kids who decide to study for the SC. Most parents don't even know what it is!

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
studentcheese said:
Because of Asian Parents. :mad: Most of them don't know that it's a skills test and they expect their kids to memorise everything in past papers. LOL, we didnt even know how to study back then :)

LOL, however it's usually the kids who decide to study for the SC. Most parents don't even know what it is!
Yeah, my sister decided to study for the SC and ended up with 3 Band 5's and 2 Band 6's.
I just rocked up for the exams and got all Band 6's.
I love me.

ilikebooks

HSC
N/A
Yeah, my sister decided to study for the SC and ended up with 3 Band 5's and 2 Band 6's.
I just rocked up for the exams and got all Band 6's.
I love me.
wait wait wait
what is this monstrosity known as school certificate
is it like dux or something?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
This thread is from 2008. I think the hsc used to be simply named school certificate.
No, the school certificate used to be a set of exams that were typically taken in year 10.
But like the HSC, it wasn't uncommon for some of the exams, like geography, history, computing skills and mathematics to be taken early. It was ended in 2011, so my cohort would probably have been among the last to have sat the exams.

• English-literacy
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Australian History, Geography, Civics and Citizenship
  • Computing Skills

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)