Selective School applying (1 Viewer)

crochetotoro

HSC
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how the process of selection for selective goes? I read somewhere that they'll look at test results if they have that like hast or edutest, then extracurriculars, then reports (might've mixed up the order of the last two)? Can anyone like actually confirm this though?

Also I feel like my extracurriculars are very limited compared to some others so I'm wondering whats some things I can do this year in order to make my application look better next year just in case and how to apply/complete them.

fart

HSC
N/A
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how the process of selection for selective goes? I read somewhere that they'll look at test results if they have that like hast or edutest, then extracurriculars, then reports (might've mixed up the order of the last two)? Can anyone like actually confirm this though?

Also I feel like my extracurriculars are very limited compared to some others so I'm wondering whats some things I can do this year in order to make my application look better next year just in case and how to apply/complete them.

im not sure about edutest but i can tell u about hast

so hast is about percentiles, u don't get a mark when you complete the test and judge off that. they judge off how well you did compared to others, so even if you did really bad in for example english, many other people may have done worse than you so that will put you in the higher percentiles. you would want to aim to get probably at least 30th percentile to get an interview imo (BUT IT DEPENDS ON THE SCHOOL) , then they look at your reports which you submit with your application which won't really matter unless you have like Bs or Cs in core subjects (maths, english, science, HSIE) , and if you did well enough they select you and you will undertake an interview. some schools may require you to write an essay and give it to them during the interview but not all schools i think. then they'll ask you basic standard questions like "why do you want to move to this school" or "how will you be willing to adjust to this school" and they will ask you about your achievements and extra curriculars.

what extra curriculars are you doing? activities aren't important compared to the actual test. as long as you get a good percentile then you should be fine.

Last edited:

crochetotoro

HSC

so hast is about percentiles, u don't get a mark when you complete the test and judge off that. they judge off how well you did compared to others, so even if you did really bad in for example english, many other people may have done worse than you so that will put you in the higher percentiles. you would want to aim to get probably at least 30th percentile to get an interview imo (BUT IT DEPENDS ON THE SCHOOL) , then they look at your reports which you submit with your application which won't really matter unless you have like Bs or Cs in core subjects (maths, english, science, HSIE) , and if you did well enough they select you and you will undertake an interview. some schools may require you to write an essay and give it to them during the interview but not all schools i think. then they'll ask you basic standard questions like "why do you want to move to this school" or "how will you be willing to adjust to this school" and they will ask you about your achievements and extra curriculars.

what extra curriculars are you doing? activities aren't important compared to the actual test. as long as you get a good percentile then you should be fine.
Ohhh thanks for the explanation

I submitted a barista course certificate, featured art in school newsletter, 2 icas - english and writing, math olympiad.

fart

HSC
N/A
Ohhh thanks for the explanation

I submitted a barista course certificate, featured art in school newsletter, 2 icas - english and writing, math olympiad.
like honestly that's already fine, you have academic achievements, certificates and hobbies. maybe take up a sport or something and a club/council at school and your extra curriculars are fine, but if you're planning to take the edutest u will need a lot more.

crochetotoro

HSC
nope just hast for girra and penrith and fort st for my third school. I dont rly like any sports though. I do swimming but i don't compete in anything but I might next year cause there were like no 16yo competing this year.

Also my school has like close to zero clubs, theres councils but that is just whoever you can convince to vote for you and im like a quiet person in general and started this school a year later than everyone else.

I might try apply for volunteering as soon as hast finishes.

kat1324

HSC
nope just hast for girra and penrith and fort st for my third school. I dont rly like any sports though. I do swimming but i don't compete in anything but I might next year cause there were like no 16yo competing this year.

Also my school has like close to zero clubs, theres councils but that is just whoever you can convince to vote for you and im like a quiet person in general and started this school a year later than everyone else.

I might try apply for volunteering as soon as hast finishes.

I moved to a selective during Year 11 and I know a person who had no extracurriculars and got in. Tbf it was a top 30 selective school so nothing super high.
Plus they tend to piortise girls over guys to get in, to even up the ratio of boys:girls because most selective schools have disproportionate boys.

kat1324

HSC

Also I knew I wanted to go to selective about a year before. So during year 10 I grinded heaps of extracurriculars, even just simple ones like attending a sports day or helping out with a school event you can put that in and just gas it up.

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A

30th percentile? There’s no way you are getting in with that - no one who has gotten in has gotten that. At least top 10% if you are aiming for schools on the higher end.

crochetotoro

HSC
Also I knew I wanted to go to selective about a year before. So during year 10 I grinded heaps of extracurriculars, even just simple ones like attending a sports day or helping out with a school event you can put that in and just gas it up.
Oh okay thanks! But like, how do you prove it? I feel like it's hard to prove stuff unless u have like a paper copy showing your participation or like a certificate for doing smth.

fart

HSC
N/A
30th percentile? There’s no way you are getting in with that - no one who has gotten in has gotten that. At least top 10% if you are aiming for schools on the higher end.
that's why i said depends on the school, my friend got like 25% percent in abstract and he still got an offer, but idk

kat1324

HSC
Oh okay thanks! But like, how do you prove it? I feel like it's hard to prove stuff unless u have like a paper copy showing your participation or like a certificate for doing smth.
Mine didn't ask for proof, they just asked of a list of stuff you did.

Fhgkdhg

HSC
I am currently in year 10 and am transferring to Normanhurst for year 11. Has anyone gotten any news for the transfer process?

crochetotoro

HSC
okay i got top 15% in math and writing expression, top10% in reading and abstract and overall top 10% - would say its about top 7 or 8%. i only got reserve to penrith. What am i doing wrong man.

C_master

HSC
okay i got top 15% in math and writing expression, top10% in reading and abstract and overall top 10% - would say its about top 7 or 8%. i only got reserve to penrith. What am i doing wrong man.
extracurricular 🤡 it isnt all about the results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)