Selective high school entry for year 11 (1 Viewer)

fiorefullbloom

HSC
Okay, so I'm currently in year 10 and I go to a school in the top 40. I want to move to either Sydney Girls or St George Girls and want to know what my chances are. In my year 9 half yearly I got all As except for a B in biblical studies (compulsory at my school) and in the yearly I got straight As. In my year 10 half yearly, I got As for everything except biblical studies and PDHPE. I also do a lot of extra curricular activities, charity work and have distinctions and credits in competitions.

I really want to get in and applied for year 9 entry but was unsuccessful. Also, for st george, I have to fill out things like personal attributes that make me suitable and such, so does anyone have any advice on what I should write to have a greater chance of getting in?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Advice I would give to you:

More often then not, you can provide a lot of extra curricular to schools to demonstrate just exactly how well rounded you are as a person. However, more often then not, in scholarship wise tests, you will be better off listing a few attributes and saying how much of an interest you have in those particular areas. This is because, schools will have seen all roundedness before and you will quickly fall into obscurity. For example, perhaps you could list the things which you love and enjoy doing or that you really excel in.

Congrats on your reports, they are indeed impressive and you should be happy with your marks. You should tell schools exactly how much of a contribution you can make along with the intellectual curiosity in which you contain in yourself. I would not be worried at all in report marks. If there are entrance exams, focus on those. Most likely, they will ask you back for interviews at a later stage if they believe that you would be valuable to their school. Focus on preparing answers and predicting questions. Actually think about why you want to go to their school and justify your case. Good luck and no matter what happens, don't look back if you've given your best shot. :)

fiorefullbloom

HSC
Advice I would give to you:

More often then not, you can provide a lot of extra curricular to schools to demonstrate just exactly how well rounded you are as a person. However, more often then not, in scholarship wise tests, you will be better off listing a few attributes and saying how much of an interest you have in those particular areas. This is because, schools will have seen all roundedness before and you will quickly fall into obscurity. For example, perhaps you could list the things which you love and enjoy doing or that you really excel in.

Congrats on your reports, they are indeed impressive and you should be happy with your marks. You should tell schools exactly how much of a contribution you can make along with the intellectual curiosity in which you contain in yourself. I would not be worried at all in report marks. If there are entrance exams, focus on those. Most likely, they will ask you back for interviews at a later stage if they believe that you would be valuable to their school. Focus on preparing answers and predicting questions. Actually think about why you want to go to their school and justify your case. Good luck and no matter what happens, don't look back if you've given your best shot. :)
Thanks :) Sounds like good advice, as I do have some extra activities that I enjoy and put much more effort and time into than others, so I guess I'll focus a lot more and go into depth on them rather than just listing every single thing :D

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, so I'm currently in year 10 and I go to a school in the top 40. I want to move to either Sydney Girls or St George Girls and want to know what my chances are. In my year 9 half yearly I got all As except for a B in biblical studies (compulsory at my school) and in the yearly I got straight As. In my year 10 half yearly, I got As for everything except biblical studies and PDHPE. I also do a lot of extra curricular activities, charity work and have distinctions and credits in competitions.

I really want to get in and applied for year 9 entry but was unsuccessful. Also, for st george, I have to fill out things like personal attributes that make me suitable and such, so does anyone have any advice on what I should write to have a greater chance of getting in?
Just write down your true personal attributes that make you a suitable candidate for the position. That's what I did for my Sydney Tech application and I got in. (well I failed for entry to Year 10 during Year 9 [mainly due to bad reports] but was successful for entry to Year 11 during Year 10)

Grats on all three of your reports but I think the ones that are needed are:
- Year 9 Yearly
- Year 10 Half Yearly (the most important one)

How did you go with your Year 9 NAPLAN? It's a good thing to include if you did well in it. (it might be even compulsory to include)

Try out for both St. George and Sydney Girls for more chances of making it into a better school. In fact, to maximise your chances, you can try out for an extra 2 schools.

Judging from your reports, I say you have like a 90% chance or above of making it in to St. George... Doing well in the entrance exam, if there is one, is crucial though..

czhuu

HSC
Okay so I go to st george and personally I think its easier to get into my school than sydney in this situation. Of course it depends on the number of vacancies and what not but yeah I mean essentially all you need is a good report. There arent any interviews or tests involved so the best chance you have is to try hard in subjects and ace your report. After year 10, I wouldn't recommend switching schools any frurther though. So it depends now as to whether you were accepted or not. Good luck dude :)

fiorefullbloom

HSC
I got into both and think all of the above is excellent advice! It is really important to have a great report and some great extra curriculars

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)