Selection rank for transferring uni student? (1 Viewer)

Lilpiggie0522

HSC
Hi yall, I am just curious about how selection rank works for current uni students who wish to transfer to another uni, let's say UNSW.

I am currently a bachelor student studying bachelor of software engineering at Uni of Canberra. I now have completed my first year at Uni of Canberra with 8 units (1 full time equivalent load) completed. I am trying to get myself transferred to UNSW for bachelor of computer science. I have got an honours degree in mechanical engineering before the software engineering degree I am currently studying but that was back in 2017. Yes I am probably the oldest guy on this forum...

My question is since I have not done any high-school educations in Australia, (yes I was an international student who later obtained Australian permanent residency, my story is a bit complicated...) and the GPA for the engineering degree I have done was pretty much around credit average, despite that I have a 7/7 GPA and 96 WAM for my current study at Uni of Canberra. Would that put me in a huge disadvantage since I am competing with a bunch of brilliant Aussie kids?

And how exactly does GPA to selection rank conversion work? I tried to scoop as much info as I could from UAC and UNSW, whether it's over the phone or via e-mails, they just won't reveal any info regarding matrix or methods of their GPA conversion for selection rank.

Cheers guys, any info related to this topic would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your application to the Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) at UNSW will be assessed based on your academic results and whether those meet or exceed UNSW's requirements. This means that admission into this degree is dependent on meeting said requirements, i.e.:
  • If you meet them, you will receive an offer to study this degree.
  • If you don't meet them, you will not receive an offer to study this degree.
Competition for a place is not as significant as failing to meet the academic requirements for a particular degree. In your case, it seems that a credit average may be sufficient to secure a place to study your chosen degree at UNSW, based on the GPA to selection rank conversion table, which can be accessed using the link below (on page 2, under "All other institutions"):

According to this table, a GPA of 5.0 converts to a selection rank of 96.00. It seems that, while the exact method and/or processes used to convert a GPA to a selection rank are unclear (they could be dependent on the university, as seen in the case of UQ, which has different conversions than all other institutions, as highlighted in the document I've included above), it would definitely be safe to say that competition may not be as significant as academic position. If UNSW adopts the same GPA to selection rank conversions included in the UQ document, this may potentially work in your favour.

I hope this helps! :D

Lilpiggie0522

HSC
Your application to the Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) at UNSW will be assessed based on your academic results and whether those meet or exceed UNSW's requirements. This means that admission into this degree is dependent on meeting said requirements, i.e.:
  • If you meet them, you will receive an offer to study this degree.
  • If you don't meet them, you will not receive an offer to study this degree.
Competition for a place is not as significant as failing to meet the academic requirements for a particular degree. In your case, it seems that a credit average may be sufficient to secure a place to study your chosen degree at UNSW, based on the GPA to selection rank conversion table, which can be accessed using the link below (on page 2, under "All other institutions"):

According to this table, a GPA of 5.0 converts to a selection rank of 96.00. It seems that, while the exact method and/or processes used to convert a GPA to a selection rank are unclear (they could be dependent on the university, as seen in the case of UQ, which has different conversions than all other institutions, as highlighted in the document I've included above), it would definitely be safe to say that competition may not be as significant as academic position. If UNSW adopts the same GPA to selection rank conversions included in the UQ document, this may potentially work in your favour.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you Sir! I was little worried about the facts that I did not do extremely well in my previous study of engineering degree, however, I did try to make up for it during my current study of software engineering, hence the high GPA, wam, etc. Now the problem is which result they would take into consideration? Is it the credit average GPA or my 7/7 GPA that I obtained very recently. Or perhaps a bit of both? I truly hope that UNSW would take consideration into my current GPA since I studied pretty hard for it.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you Sir! I was little worried about the facts that I did not do extremely well in my previous study of engineering degree, however, I did try to make up for it during my current study of software engineering, hence the high GPA, wam, etc. Now the problem is which result they would take into consideration? Is it the credit average GPA or my 7/7 GPA that I obtained very recently. Or perhaps a bit of both? I truly hope that UNSW would take consideration into my current GPA since I studied pretty hard for it.
No worries! I also just realised that I misread that you achieved a GPA of 7 / a WAM of 96! Sorry about that!

In such a case, UNSW will most likely consider your most recent study, which in this case is your first year in the Bachelor of Software Engineering at UC, which maximises your chances of receiving an offer for your chosen degree at UNSW considering your excellent results at UC.

Lilpiggie0522

HSC
No worries! I also just realised that I misread that you achieved a GPA of 7 / a WAM of 96! Sorry about that!

In such a case, UNSW will most likely consider your most recent study, which in this case is your first year in the Bachelor of Software Engineering at UC, which maximises your chances of receiving an offer for your chosen degree at UNSW considering your excellent results at UC.
Thank you Mister. It is such a relief to hear. Now I feel that the fire in me is burning up again.

dasfas

HSC
Holy shit, 96 WAM is insane.

I think 85 WAM is converted into 99.50 ATAR, so you should be sweet as that is well above the cutoff for UNSW CompSci.

I think they will take into account everything that you submit, and generally prior learning is considered particularly since you've only completed 1 FTE. Perhaps take the average of both degrees and see where you end up? Regardless, you won't know until you apply. I'm sure that if they see that you did well after your first degree they will be more lenient.

Good luck!

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a 7/7 GPA and 96 WAM for my current study at Uni of Canberra. Would that put me in a huge disadvantage since I am competing with a bunch of brilliant Aussie kids?

Cheers guys, any info related to this topic would be appreciated.
96 WAM is a brilliant WAM and I'm pretty sure that it will still give you an advantage even if you're competing with UNSW students.

Lilpiggie0522

HSC

I think 85 WAM is converted into 99.50 ATAR, so you should be sweet as that is well above the cutoff for UNSW CompSci.

I think they will take into account everything that you submit, and generally prior learning is considered particularly since you've only completed 1 FTE. Perhaps take the average of both degrees and see where you end up? Regardless, you won't know until you apply. I'm sure that if they see that you did well after your first degree they will be more lenient.

Good luck!
Thank you! I did spend lots of nights grinding on questions and assignments. And when I read about the GPA to selection rank conversion table published by UQ, well this is pretty much the only related info I can find online, I was kinda skeptical about the accuracy of this table, cuz it all seems too easy. A 7/7 GPA gets converted to 99.90 in selection rank. Which is a score I have never achieved in my entire life. I truly hope that UNSW are using similar system when it comes to GPA to selection rank conversion. Only then I would have a chance.

Lilpiggie0522

HSC
96 WAM is a brilliant WAM and I'm pretty sure that it will still give you an advantage even if you're competing with UNSW students.
Thanks a lot! Yea I have never been able to score this high before as you can probably tell from the results of my previous engineering degree. Sometimes I still ask myself if this is real.

Barrister1

HSC

Good luck!
sorry this is a bit late but would you know what atar a 6 out of 7 GPA is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)