section 3 and 4 tips (1 Viewer)

strawbinnie

HSC
i've got my trial for business studies tmrw and im feeling very underprepared for the two extended responses esp the case study essay.

any tips?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Given that there is not much time left before your Business Studies trial exam, the first thing that you should do is to revise the syllabus in order to ensure that you are aware of the concepts that each topic entails as well as have a good understanding of each of those concepts. This is important as it concerns not only Section III and Section IV but the other sections as well.

With the remaining available time, you could revisit the structure of a Section III response as well as briefly go through case study material to ensure that you are able to incorporate case study information in your Section IV response for any topic. If you fear that you may forget some of the real-life case study information that you have been exposed to, you could also briefly prepare some hypothetical case study information that would be suitable for each topic. Along with your knowledge of the content, doing so will ensure that you are ready to respond to whichever Section IV question you end up choosing.

If you find that you still have some time left before your exam, you could attempt completing one last Section III and/or Section IV question. If you do have time but not enough to develop complete responses, you could instead work on planning responses for a Section III and/or Section IV question, which could help you gain additional insight regarding the way through which you should approach questions tomorrow.

Best of luck! 😄

Sapling

HSC
Hiii, i just wanted to know which case study i should do for each topic for example operations, marketing, finance and HR. which company fits better and will be more effective.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hiii, i just wanted to know which case study i should do for each topic for example operations, marketing, finance and HR. which company fits better and will be more effective.
Essentially, any company may constitute appropriate case study material. The important factor when choosing a business to discuss is the ability to effectively link the case study to the point(s) that you are making so that you can support it. Choosing the business that suits a particular topic/question the closest but not being able to effectively elaborate on information relevant to that business in an advantageous manner (i.e. in a way that further increases the quality of your response) is not sufficient for favourable performance.

With that being said, you could discuss the following businesses for each topic and subtopic:
  • Operations
    • Role - McDonald's, Qantas
    • Influences - McDonald's, Qantas
    • Processes - McDonald's, Domino's
    • Strategies - McDonald's
  • Marketing
    • Role - Apple
    • Influences - Mcdonald's, Apple
    • Processes - Samsung
    • Strategies - Apple, Samsung
  • Finance
    • Role - McDonald's, Apple
    • Influences - McDonald's
    • Processes - Apple, Bingo Industries, BMW
    • Strategies - Apple, Harvey Norman
  • Human resources
    • Role - McDonald's, Qantas, JB Hi-Fi
    • Influences - Google
    • Processes - McDonald's
    • Strategies - Google
    • Effectiveness - Google, JB Hi-Fi, McDonald's
You may already have relevant case study material targeting some of these businesses. If this is the case, then great! All that would be left would be to maximise your ability to effectively incorporate case study information into your responses. If you wish to discuss one (or more) of these businesses but are not currently equipped with knowledge of relevant information, it would be a good idea to research each business with respect to the particular syllabus dot point that you are covering.

I hope this helps! 😄

Sapling

HSC
Essentially, any company may constitute appropriate case study material. The important factor when choosing a business to discuss is the ability to effectively link the case study to the point(s) that you are making so that you can support it. Choosing the business that suits a particular topic/question the closest but not being able to effectively elaborate on information relevant to that business in an advantageous manner (i.e. in a way that further increases the quality of your response) is not sufficient for favourable performance.

With that being said, you could discuss the following businesses for each topic and subtopic:
  • Operations
    • Role - McDonald's, Qantas
    • Influences - McDonald's, Qantas
    • Processes - McDonald's, Domino's
    • Strategies - McDonald's
  • Marketing
    • Role - Apple
    • Influences - Mcdonald's, Apple
    • Processes - Samsung
    • Strategies - Apple, Samsung
  • Finance
    • Role - McDonald's, Apple
    • Influences - McDonald's
    • Processes - Apple, Bingo Industries, BMW
    • Strategies - Apple, Harvey Norman
  • Human resources
    • Role - McDonald's, Qantas, JB Hi-Fi
    • Influences - Google
    • Processes - McDonald's
    • Strategies - Google
    • Effectiveness - Google, JB Hi-Fi, McDonald's
You may already have relevant case study material targeting some of these businesses. If this is the case, then great! All that would be left would be to maximise your ability to effectively incorporate case study information into your responses. If you wish to discuss one (or more) of these businesses but are not currently equipped with knowledge of relevant information, it would be a good idea to research each business with respect to the particular syllabus dot point that you are covering.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks a lot!!! I was also wondering would ikea for operations be good also?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks a lot!!! I was also wondering would ikea for operations be good also?
No worries! Provided that the information to be used is relevant to the question that you are answering, then yes, you should have no issues with discussing IKEA as part of your response. I would suggest attempting the following Section IV question (and/or another question of your choosing) as a starting point in order to assess your ability to incorporate IKEA into your response:

Examine the impact of globalisation on operations strategies. (20 marks).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)