Section 2 (1 Viewer)

passion89

HSC
ptartak said:
i wrote on how the old man was my boss. and after that quote he fired me. and i had a bad day and hit a pole lmao

Haha nice to see some people didn't go write a story about a grandfather lol ahem...like me for one - woops!!

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
did EVERYONE do a story and the old man (generally grandpa) dies at the end???? 50% of my school did! Including me :(
I hope my twist that he was blind makes it better ...

HSC
bananasmoothy said:
Ion top of that stupid old man (which I predict, will churn out all these stories of old men dying in a nursing home as they whisper to their child/grandchild some magnificent adventure they undertook when they were 14 that changed their life forever) (I got off the topic) anyway as I was saying, that was targeted at people doing Inner Journeys.

Who the hell writes such terrible questions? Bring the people back that wrote 2004s and 2005s question, I say.
I actually liked the qesution but I totally agree with you, there will be a lot of BOS markers who are about to be very bored at all the touching tales...on that note, i was trying to be original with my mine...its about a middleaged man with throat cancer...and he can't talk anymore so he and his 16 yr old son communicate with sign language...and for his birthday he gave him a tape
he made for his son just before his operation in which he reveals he used to be a famous singer...but I made it about the journey because the son didn't understand how his father could still be happy if music was his life and he couldn't even talk anymore and eventually comes to the conclusion that some lessons can only be learned through living, i.e journey of life. yeah so I was trying to be original...you just slip in a line about his voice being prematurely aged and then you can make them whatever age you want....so what did other people write- apart from a story in the above quote. LOL.

And...btw, does the qupte have to start the story? because there was almost a page of intro before I used the quote.

shimmy&shine

HSC
YEAH, THIS WAS MY FAVOURITE SECTION.

it was gerat that for most of you guys, you had the perfect story to adapt or add to the quote. But for my story. the quotation made it even better, in the sensethat I had to manipulate the plot line a bit, but in the end it was sparkling!!!!

Yay for the creative!

I still can't believe how nice they were to us this year. SO NICE!!!

"choose the appopriate form" I think it said? I good is that?

I had to change my characters from a 40 year old mother with her 20 year daughter, to a 80 year old husband and his 80ish years old wife, but i think hat's a good thing.

My story was about a granddaughter being told stories about her grandmother by her grandfather. The anecdote is based on the Pakistan earthquakes, and the Australian medical camp set up there. Anyway in the end the granddaughter who always feared her grandmother because she suffered from severe dementia, begins to understand and love her for her heroics, even though she is a mental patient. I love it how in my story, it all gets revealed in the end why the granddaughter always says "I was scared of her. I feared her condition", to tantalise the reader.

Anyways, good luck to you guys for the other english exam.

WE ARE ONLY HALF WAY THERE TO FINISHING ENGLISH!!!

passion89

HSC
k8kate said:
did EVERYONE do a story and the old man (generally grandpa) dies at the end???? 50% of my school did! Including me :(
I hope my twist that he was blind makes it better ...

Haha nah I made my old man live because I knew the majority would kill him off.

HSC
i wrote about the archetypal roles of people in a perfect suburbia. I wrote it from the 'blacksheep's' point of view who was a clown which was the family business. Yea bit abstract but im pretty happy with it.:)

maskd

HSC
The old man in my story dies, but it is of no significance of the story, in fact the quote was of no significance.

berra

HSC
I HATED THIS SECTION!!! if i stuff up, its coz of d bloody question! like wat d hell... i had 2 read it a few tyms 2 comprehend d thing....
dis is wat i did....
i wrote a speech wer dis 30 yr old woman makes at her father's funeral. i started wif d sentence, n i didnt noe wat 2 write, like it was sumthing like an old mans voice was like a *sumthing* i 4got d question.... n neway, my story was this: the old man is d son of a rich CEO who hasnt been tlking 2 his father since he was 17- n he was on his death bed (at an old age) explaining y they rnt tlking 2 his daughter, who always wanted 2 noe, but he neva told her, n he explains; app his dads violent, bashes mum, uses alcohol, kid at 17 speeds outta town, smashes into oncoming car, 8 yr old kid in coma, he's sent 2 jail, stays der 4 one yr, his superficial frends ignore him, dad disowns him, afta 1 yr, kid gets betta, he's set free... lives in poverty, but den manages 2 live a moderate life...

den his will is 4 her daughter 2 visit her grandfathers grave and tell him that her father said "i love you"... coz he didnt wanna die with a burden... n den afta dat he tells his daughter that he loves her.. n dies...

moral of story: d girl changes from her dads experiences and blah blah blah... speech was emotional... n she tells ppl that she hopes their journey 2 such a beautiful mans grave will change sumthing 4 them....

d prob is, ive neva written such a thing, n our focus is physical journeys....
i'd really appreciate ne feedback... but i reckon d whole rest of the paper was really good (stupid section 2!)

sideshowtim

HSC
Old man lived in mine. The "last story" referred to was the last story told to the journalist by the people in the retirement home on his coverage of "Oldies Week", the party week for pensioners.

niknik610

HSC
Thade said:
I still can't believe how brilliantly it fitted with my story. My original opening line was only a few words off. Well, not really, but still. :D

Mine was a story about a man visiting his father on his deathbed. Morbid, no? =P I'm glad they provided an opening line with such a broad range of possible applications. :)

HEYYY !! that's what i wrote about toooo !!!!!! hahahaha...except i didn't have a prepared story.....!!!! hi 5 !!

Mel_b

HSC
I wrote another grandfather story - I didn't really conclude it properly, but he talks about how a mate of his sacrificed his life for their whole company on the Kokoda track, and the discovery bit is subtle, but he basically talks about how he discovered the best and worst of human nature.

I don't really believe in memorising stories to write, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for people not being able to regurgitate a memorised story, but I do think you should be able to prepare some possible scenarios and I think the question was a bit too restrictive - a very specific quote that had to be included in the writing, not just used as a stimulus.

Something like that's going to affect your writing style, if you don't normally write like that. It also locked you into writing from a male perspective - it very clearly pointed to the need to write 'his' story and you'd have to be pretty clever to evade that whilst still writing in the 'spirit' of the quote.

And then you also had to include the discovery bit - if they complain about a lack of originality, it's because they didn't really allow for much scope in terms of plot - kids who are pomo oriented would have been ruined, for instance.

Last edited:

maskd

HSC
Mel_b said:
Something like that's going to affect your writing style, if you don't normally write like that. It also locked you into writing from a male perspective - it very clearly pointed to the need to write 'his' story and you'd have to be pretty clever to evade that whilst still writing in the 'spirit' of the quite.
I don't agree, it didn't say that you had to use the quote as the basis of the story, the opening line in my story is somebody saying the quote.

The discovery in my story is that you have to treat your friends properly otherwise you'll end up getting hurt.

Oh and that one of the main characters in the story is gay for the other one :)

Last edited:

EdJZ

HSC
that quote was gay... i ended up taking the whole thing, and making it sumthing that the guy was reading from sumthing and went somewhere completley different... in the end i think i wrote sum crappy story with no direction which a kid couldve written and scored higher. ..................grrrrrrrrrrrr.................

J e S s

HSC
ahh just bury me now lol. predictably i went with the grandpa story.. damnn it! and you guessed it, he was telling his wife about the war and why he came back a changed man. i wrote that he and his wife's brother were out on patrol n they came upon this little kid who was an enemy but they couldnt bring themselves to kill him so they sent him on his way, bit later the boy kills the brother... my story was pretty much about the husband confessing to his wife how her brother really died. ahh im so screwed. quote totally stuffed me n now i have such a great idea that i could have used but im screwed!!!! damn BOS setters! talk about restrictive!

oz_rocker

Todd Heslin
HSC
haha well i think im gunna get 15/15 because i was the only one in the state who didnt do a grandpa story! i really had nothing so i thought i'd be different and objectify 'consumerism' and depict its jouney through time..

am i crazy? most likely but i hope they give marks for originality!

goodluck everyone in paper 2!

HSC
this section totally threw me off, when they gave us the quote to use at the start..
i basically went with the predictable grandpa story.. but a forbidden love in his youth kind-of-story.. not being allowed to see the girl he likes and moving, but defying both their parents to see each other anyway by moving in with each other, going from not having anything to do with their parents to a few years down the track their parents finally accepting it when they married, but he was too late to patch things up with his mother as she had died, and just how he dealt with losing his mother and getting to know his father again, and just how he came to the revelation that you need your family and nothing should come between that..
thats not a really good description but yeah haha, my actual story sounded better when i wrote it haha..

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
maskd said:
People who say that the extract hindered creativity suck. They didn't say you couldn't expand the quote, so I just said 'Blah blah blah quote..... then he died', and I could just start my own story.

I love writing, my story ended up being about 2 robbers named Bill and Spencer, who fall down a massive invisible hole infront of a bank they are about to rob. While falling Bill's toupee comes off and hits Spencer in the face, proceeded to break his jaw, they hit the ground and Bill breaks his legs. They meet a crocodile/mammoth named Juxdath, who has an English accent. Juxdath tells him that he's in a drug-induced frenzy that he will realise and inevitably discover (hint hint) that he's living a shit life and should turn it around for himself.......

That is untill he tried to get up using a mirror, it shatters all over him. Juxdath LIED to him :eek: Somehow this stuff called "friend juice" appears which can apparently heal his wounds. Some crap happens and he realises that he treats his friends like crap, especially Spencer, at the end of his ephiphany he realises that he's in love with Spencer, and in the end Spencers jaw magically heals itself.

Spencer starts to fly away, but instead of flying off with his newly found homosexual love, he has to stay with the hybrid animal.

My favourite quotes from the story "The ground he hit was as hard as a 17 year old in the Playboy Mansion" and "He realised he was evil to spencers, all the times he would hit him over the head, verbally abuse him, sodomise his mother".

I enjoyed writing that story, 8 pages.
That's one tank toupee.

bilbi

HSC
happibear, the extract was

'he told me one last story. He used his aged, ruined voice like an old man's hands to pick the lock on his past...'

does your story fit?????? hope it did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)