secondary teaching requirements (1 Viewer)

nevery

HSC
I'm thinking of possibly doing secondary school teaching, so that would mean a BA/DipEd and I'm thinking of doing it at Macquarie and doing History and possibly either Geography or Society and Culture.

I've read that you need to have done band 4 in English in the HSC. But I've heard different information about maths. Do I need to have done maths at all in the HSC? Some places say you have to have band 4 in mathematics (is this mathematics or general or whatever). Because I don't do maths at all. Is this a problem? I'm not planning on teaching a maths subject. And if I do need maths, would I be able to do a bridging course?

Sadiah

HSC
The NSW Institute of Teacher's requirements recently mandated minimum standards in Mathematics and/or English for students in undergraduate initial teacher education awards.

Specifically, the Institute requires all students who were admitted into undergraduate secondary initial teacher education awards since 1 January 2009 to have demonstrated attainment of at least NSW HSC Band 4 in Standard English or English as a Second Language or Advanced English or interstate equivalent. The Institute also requires all students who were admitted into undergraduate primary initial teacher education awards since 1 January 2010 to have (i) demonstrated attainment of at least NSW HSC Band 4 in General Mathematics or completed Mathematics or Extension Mathematics to an equivalent standard AND (ii) demonstrated attainment of at least NSW HSC Band 4 Standard English or English as a Second Language or Advanced English, or (iii) demonstrated equivalent interstate attainment in English and Mathematics.

I'm currently doing a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Teaching, and I have met the requirements of a minimum Band 4 in HSC English. Nonetheless, all I have to do is demonstrate to my university an attainment of this. Maths isn't compulsory for me, as stated above. For primary teaching, I think it's now a requirement, but for Secondary teaching, I don't think so.

Coz the guy at my uni told me that I just have to get an exemption from the standards outlined by showing some certified documents, and that's it.

Hope that helped. :)

PS. I did no Maths in Year 11 and 12. :D

Last edited:

nevery

HSC
Thanks for that. What uni are you at? It sounds similar to Macquarie.

The reason I asked is that I pick up some Macquarie books and it says HSC English AND Maths for secondary teaching, but in others it says nothing at all about Maths. But I conclude that unless you're planning on teaching Maths, why would that be a requirement to get into the course?

So thanks for your input. Hopefully I'll be able to see the careers adviser in the next few days to get more information (she's been away for a few weeks, how annoying)

Sadiah

HSC
Thanks for that. What uni are you at? It sounds similar to Macquarie.

The reason I asked is that I pick up some Macquarie books and it says HSC English AND Maths for secondary teaching, but in others it says nothing at all about Maths. But I conclude that unless you're planning on teaching Maths, why would that be a requirement to get into the course?

So thanks for your input. Hopefully I'll be able to see the careers adviser in the next few days to get more information (she's been away for a few weeks, how annoying)
Lol, no worries.

University of New England.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)