Second Year ECON/FINS courses (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey, I just finished 1st year for B com/eco and i was wondering if there was anywhere i could get the second year fins or econ lecture notes so i could have a look at them before i need to pick my subjects later.

I know most people haven't even finished their exams yet, but i wouldn't mind getting those notes before the subjects are removed from peoples Webct (e.g could someone upload them or is that against UNSW rules or copyright etc?).

Also if anyone has any tips for second year econ or fins they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
micro 2 is a bitch.

intro metrics is super easy.

that is all.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Go the UNSW school of economics website and read the course outlines for 2nd (or 3rd) year econ courses available.

No random on this forum is going to bother sending you all their lecture notes.

leotao

HSC
I found both Micro2 and Macro2 extremely easy...
Economics is generally an easy subject, finance is alright depending on lecturer.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
there is no point getting lecture notes from anyone who has done it in previous semesters. because you might have a different lecturer and the course might then be tested differently. second year upwards, it is no longer dependent on the book anymore, but more to do with the lecturer.

FuJu

HSC
I found both Micro2 and Macro2 extremely easy...
Me too.

Macro II was easy because it was poorly tested. You'll find most of the assessment to be easy multiple choice questions, which are then repeated word-for-word in later assessments. For instance we had five 5% quizes throughout the semester, and our 15% midsession and 60% final both were made up largely of repeated questions from the quizes. To boot, you'll find that most of the questions in the quizes come straight from the tutorials.

Micro II was easy to me because the concepts were really intuitive. It's kind of mathsy, with a bit of differentiation and stuff (nothing difficult) but I could see why some people who are less maths inclined would find it difficult. I found Gautam and Arghaya to be excellent lecturers though. If you're good at maths you'll probably both enjoy this course, and kill it with an extremely high mark.

ECON2206 and 2207 were both quite boring for me, although still simple enough to go well in. Just learn the lecture notes and you'll be sweet.

I've been really put off by Finance. I found the lecturers in 1612 and 1613 to be quite good, apart from Zhian Chen or whoever it was that ran the mathematical finance in 1613, but second year is an entirely different story. Henry Yip is a horror show in 2624. I'm doing Wealth Management and IBF next year, and I'm not looking forward to it based on the reviews of Kingsley Fong that I've heard (worse than Yip).

HSC
there is no point getting lecture notes from anyone who has done it in previous semesters. because you might have a different lecturer and the course might then be tested differently. second year upwards, it is no longer dependent on the book anymore, but more to do with the lecturer.
Ok, thanks anyway guys.

intro metrics is super easy.
Is it anything like QMB, cos if it is I won't find it easy + i was initially planning to do it with Micro2 next semester but that doesn't sound like such a good idea anymore...

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
intro metrics/eco methods are simple. micro 2 / macro 2 were average. i ended up dropping economics anyway as i wanted to graduate.

tbh do all the easy finance course (i found this out too late) as no employer really cares which ones you take. i heard bank financial management is simple, wealth management is simple also.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
intro metrics is like qmb without the maths.

yeah.

leotao

HSC
You learn how to do regressions in intro metrics...very useful.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Do business forecasting and financial econometrics and you get to predict the future.

HSC
I understand that the assesment structure can change each semester, but is there anyone who did micro 2 recently who can tell me what it was like during their sem? (e.g. were there small in class quizes every couple of weeks or what?)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I understand that the assesment structure can change each semester, but is there anyone who did micro 2 recently who can tell me what it was like during their sem? (e.g. were there small in class quizes every couple of weeks or what?)
My gf did it semester 1 this year. Assessments consist of 2 evening mini-exams, marked homework, participation and the final exam.

Did I mention its a generally shit course? And if you don't intuitively understand the material, it can get quite frustrating. Also if they're still using the same textbook from previous years, then the answers to the homework will be floating around online

Last edited:

FuJu

HSC
I actually really enjoyed Micro 2. But you're right, if someone doesn't find it intuitive then they're going to struggle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)