• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Seachange "Ways Of Living" (1 Viewer)

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
hey people
here are some notes on the themes of Seachange coz i can't find any
so i thought i'd get off my arse and write some myself. :)

Themes
Throughout the show, a variety of issues or themes are explored these include:
  • escapism
  • lifestyle
  • survival
  • quality of life
Escapism
The idea of leaving the hectic world of work, traffic and deadlines behind for the 'quiet life'. Laura's seachange enables audiences to escape their own lives to live out a fantasy through the characters of Pearl Bay. The show compares and contrasts two very different worlds. The hustle and bustle of the urban jungle is represented through the filmic collage or montage of iconic images of cars, crowds of people, parking signs, etc. There is no freedom and they fall victim to the 'rat race'. As a result, the idea of a different lifestyle , a natural environment becomes increasingly attractive and appealing. Pearl Bay fulfils this fantasy world, with its natural serene seascape, open space and alternative lifestyle. Laura escapes the 'rat race' of the city life, opting for a quiet life by the sea.

Lifetyle
Seachange visually portrays a drastic change in lifestyle, and highlights both the negative and positive effects that our way of living has on our values, emotions, principles and health. The city is an obvious example of a negative environment. People who live in the city are often caught up in the stresses of day-to-day living. In contrast, Pearl Bay offers viewers a completely alternate environment. It is one that promotes enjoyment, relaxation, community and friendship. Viewers feel and emotional connection with Laura and her family, as we watch their trials and tribulations as they try and carve out a new life for themselves in a completely different world.

Survival
The theme of survival is central to the show's plot and character development. When Laura is introduced we see a person struggling to survive in her current lifestyle. The pressures and stress of everyday life is beginning to suffocate her. Her work has become her life and as a result she neglects her family. Seachange explores the coping mechanisms of the human character. Luara's ability to cope with numerous hurdles and setbacks becomes the focus point of the show. When faced with that day where 'her whole life crashed' Laura's reactions are both honest and real. Laura's determination is encouraging and admirable as she focuses on rebuilding her life. Her need to survive is an example of human power and force.

Quality of Life
By using two different lifestyles, the creators of the story are able to explore the positives and negatives of each. The show is able to explore the social elements that influence our quality of life. It compares and contrasts the two environments and lifestyles, subtly judging which one is 'healthier'. It is clear that Pearl Bay is the better lifestyle with its open spaces and relaxed lifestyle. In comparison to the noisy, frantic and polluted city lifestyle. The irony of this that Laura moved to Pearl Bay for privacy and solitude, however, like many small towns, privacy is hard to attain. Images of the surrounding landscapes and the natural elements of the town show the quality of life experienced by the locals.

Some qoutes that may help:
From the First episode "Something Rich and Strange

Laura: "I'm their mother in name only"

Laura: "Am i the worst mother you know?"
Miranda: "Probably"

Laura: "How much can a new hip on a cat cost"

Laura to Rupert: "You couldn't have come at a worst time"

Second Episode quotes:
Laura to Bob Jelly: "There are two very good reasons to leave behind a suburban block - space and privacy. I have neither"

Miranda: "It's strange how the new life reminds me so much of the old."

Bryce (Bob's laywer) to Bob: "She's just aired out her dirty laundry for you Bob"

Hope this helps (it probably won't lol)
xx

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
oh i forgot to mention as well
for a related text you could use the film "Edward Scissorhands"
because his way of living was changed from being alone to being thrust into a social society.
you can obviously expand on this =]
:lol:
thanks again
xx

cjq91

HSC
TY very much for the notes ! This will most definately help me for monday :D:D:D

Good luck in the HSC

nisseltaria

HSC
Also, the titles and main plot of the series come from Shakespeare's "The Tempest".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)