Se qui/ se que? (2 Viewers)

malkin86

HSC
I missed French due to science comp :)chainsaw: ) I'm a little confused as to when to use se qui or se que - here are my notes on qui and que. Can anyone help me, please? :(

Thats the boy who broke his toe.

The boy is the subject, so its qui.

Qui is used in questions, youre asking a mini question in the sentence.

Thats the girl I saw at the movies.

It should be that I saw..

The girl is an object, its a que.

Qui who doing the action (subject)

Que whom the action done to them (object)

Tom did his homework which surprises me.

Tom faire ces devoirs, ce qui metonne moi. Tom doing his homework is the subject, me being surprised is the object, so we use qui.

Se qui/se que is for an event.

Tom afait ses devoirs ce que je trouve etonnant. Tom doing his homework is what I find amazing, so tom doing his homework is the object, so we use que.

Ca, cest la fille que je connais. Thats the girl that I know.

Ca, cest la fille que jai vuE. (vue must agree with que in the perfect tense)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
ah, i did science comp this morning too. what did you think of it, by the way?

i presume these are your class notes. i think it can be followed rather well. as a way around it however, just use que if the verb in the sentence describes something that you (the object) do. use qui if it describes something the subject does.
one trick example:
the girl that i saw - la fille que j'ai vu(e), not qui just because it's a person i'm referring to, remember to make a distinction between object and subject, not object and person.
conversely, the girl who saw me - la fille qui m'ai vue, qui used because girl is subject. if it were a liveless object, it'll still be qui.

hope that helps.

chepas

HSC
^^^ Yeah... exactement a! Chaque mot...

The cheating bludger way I remember it though is that "que" is used if there is a personal pronoun (write terminology??) like je, tu, il/elle/on etc, and "qui" is used if there is no pronoun and and if it is immediately followed by the verb.

Le prof que je connais.

Le prof qui me gne.

This method isn't true in a lot of instances, so this is not exactly foolproof! I use it in exams, but then just look at the sentence for about 5 minutes thinking "Does it look wrong?"... might be better learning the billion grammatical rules that come with it like ^^^ to save the anxiety.. hehe.

Do you do your exam today/other day, malkin? They did that at my school too. Yesterday my friend had a drama prac, music theory, then straight after it had to do the science comp!!! Poor soul.

malkin86

HSC
Thankyou both!

Yeah, I couldn't answer 10 of the questions cos I only do bio, and they were asking me chem and physics stuff I'd forgotten. I think it's just a prestige thing for the school. But if it was good marks and prestige they were after, they wouldn't have made me do it... ;)

chepas

HSC
Yeah - ce qui/ce que. I was thrown by the title as well. Hehe.

Oooh. Reread the questiond:

Originally posted by malkin86
Tom did his homework which surprises me.

Tom faire ces devoirs, ce qui metonne moi. Tom doing his homework is the subject, me being surprised is the object, so we use qui.

Se qui/se que is for an event.

Tom afait ses devoirs ce que je trouve etonnant. Tom doing his homework is what I find amazing, so tom doing his homework is the object, so we use que.
Yer, CE... ce qui/ce que = which, pretty much.

But "Tom fait ses devoirs, ce qui m'tonne" don't need the 'moi'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)