SE Asia next February (1 Viewer)

bustinjustin

HSC
I'll be off on a solo trip to the Philippines for a wedding next February and will be overseas for about three weeks. From there I'm looking to go around SE Asia, preferably a side trip to Singapore and from there, Malaysia and even Thailand, pending my financial situation, however my Mum is keen on me boycotting Singapore in light of the Van Nguyen case, but I recently learned that one of my friends will also be in Singapore next February (I've yet to tell her about the possible change of plans).

Alternatively, I can go to Hong Kong and China, where a couple of mates will be tagging along with a native speaker friend whom we can use to get around the place, but despite my political bias and opposition to the whole Van Nguyen hanging, I still feel more inclined to go to Singapore.

If all else fails, I'll settle for island hopping in the Philippines, but I might be hard pressed finding a companion.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations? Will I miss out on anything important between enrolment and the start of uni? Anyone else visiting the region at the same time?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im in hong kong atm and i can guarentee ull have the time of ur life in hk

fatmuscle

HSC
last year i travelled Japan (3 weeks), HK (1 week), Thailand (1 week), Malaysia (1 week), Singapore (3 days).

It's heaps great fun!

If you're not in possession of drugs, you have nothing to worry about.
Just know some of their laws, and respect them, and nothing will be done to you.

Definitely go to thailand. everyhting there is cheap.
Literally spoil yourself over there.

HK is awesome for shopping. The only time you need the native tongue is if you go to some restaurants, and for bargaining good prices. Other than that, a lot of ppl there are bi-lingual.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Thailand's good for massages and shopping, food's nice and cheap but you've gotta be careful where you eat

Singapore's very clean, relatively cheap for shopping but only slightly less expensive than Aus, and of course food's nice and cheap in SIngapore as well... you can even eat on the street

HK = of course shopping, again, food's relatively cheap comparing to the other two. but it's a totally differet experience

bustinjustin

HSC
Did you guys go by yourselves?

Cos I'll be on my own.

That's the biggest of my worries, cos my uncles/aunts might act as surrogate parents and not let me go out much on my own in Manila unless I have a friend or a chaperone, hence why I'm looking for a travel companion to go with me to Thailand/Singapore/HK/Japan whatever (for an extra $100 i get either a sidetrip within the Philippines or a return flight to singapore or Hk or even Japan).

Plus I don't know if I'll have as much fun on my own. As invigorating as independent travel may be, it could get lonely. I'm really hoping for a cousin or two to act as chaperones/travel mates.

I don't think I can 'emulate' the experiences others have had on schoolies, but I want to have fun nonetheless

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I doubt you'll have any problems finding other backpackers or locals to hang out with they seem to be very tourist oriented countries. A few people I know spent months in SE Asia and they had a great time in Thailand everything was cheap and pretty safe but English was better in the Philippines they said.

Pick up a lonely planet guide if you're stuck for ideas.

I doubt your travel companion will fly for free so take that into consideration too, your cousins might like to go to other countries but might not have the money to do so.

Don't try to emulate others, enjoy yourself your own way.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
if u want a tour guide if ur thinking of going to hong kong then let me know

bustinjustin

HSC
Right now I got a cousin working in Singapore who'll be happy to take me around and even offered to shoulder my fare and/or other costs. However, she hates her job and could be returning to the Philippines any time soon. She's the most likely candidate to accompany me, but even if I did travel by myself I wouldn't mind too much, I'll have more freedom - but it mightn't be as safe.

I will get my hands on a Lonely Planet's 'Philippines' and 'South East Asia on a Shoestring' as soon as I get paid (or as Christmas gifts?)

Nevertheless, I'm really excited, it's pretty depressing, hearing others go on about how Schoolies went off and not having an equivalent to boast about... just yet. But I definitely don't consider this trip equivalent to Schoolies. It might not be as wild or 'fun', but I reckon any overseas trip, especially a solo one will be a lot more fulfulling and enlightening than week long orgy close to home, something that should be more beneficial in the long term.

In the meantime, it's a pain having to save up the money until 1 February (tentative departure date, low season begins 30 January, first flight on my preferred airline leaves the next day), but working at Luna Park isn't a bad way to do it, it just doesn't pay heaps.

Alas, I've been trying to research nightlife in Manila. Anyone know of good spots here or in other asian cities?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
bustinjustin said:
Nevertheless, I'm really excited, it's pretty depressing, hearing others go on about how Schoolies went off and not having an equivalent to boast about... just yet. But I definitely don't consider this trip equivalent to Schoolies. It might not be as wild or 'fun', but I reckon any overseas trip, especially a solo one will be a lot more fulfulling and enlightening than week long orgy close to home, something that should be more beneficial in the long term.

Alas, I've been trying to research nightlife in Manila. Anyone know of good spots here or in other asian cities?
Yes if you go overseas you will have a far more interesting time than the binge drinkers who go to the same old places that hardly change and think they've done something unique. You might even be spoilt and be bored when you get home.

Why are you so worried about security? Are you easily taken advantage of? do you follow people blindly? Are you an obnoxious drunk? If you answer no to all of those then you will have no problems, very rarely do you get into trouble in public touristy places in SE Asia unless you answer yes to the above. Of course you do have random violent incidents but you could just as easily get beaten to a pulp on a train riding into Sydney. Don't take risks and don't show you have more money than everyone around you and you'll be fine.

Night life in Manila? I don't know i'll tell you next week :)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Heaps to do in Manila, having a ball here at the moment, met some expats from the US and Australia. Lots of places to check out as per the guidebooks and the expats will show you off the beaten track too. If you are staying with your cousins they might know some more local places. So far i've nearly died twice in trike and once in near miss jeepney accidents :)

It's very run down and poor though so I hope you can stomach that, but it's safe as long as you watch what you do. I might not be going to the wrong type of areas but i've been out at 12-5am in some pretty shabby looking neghbourhoods with no problems.

bustinjustin

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Heaps to do in Manila, having a ball here at the moment, met some expats from the US and Australia. Lots of places to check out as per the guidebooks and the expats will show you off the beaten track too. If you are staying with your cousins they might know some more local places. So far i've nearly died twice in trike and once in near miss jeepney accidents :)

It's very run down and poor though so I hope you can stomach that, but it's safe as long as you watch what you do. I might not be going to the wrong type of areas but i've been out at 12-5am in some pretty shabby looking neghbourhoods with no problems.
Oh mad you're in Manila right now! Being there is definitely a lot more exciting than being in Sydney...

I was actually born in Manila, but of course I came down to Aus when I was 1/2, though my family and I would go back there every 1 - 3 years, but with family, I wasn't able to get a good grasp of all the 'real' fun I could have (last time I was there was 2002. So are you currently backpacking/travelling around SE Asia, LeftrightOut?) This is all so exciting now! Whereabouts are you staying? Who knows I might run into ya haha. I do however owe you a San Miguel or two (or three or four, knowing how cheap they are) for all the help you've provided to date.

Hope to hear from you soon!

bustinjustin

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Rest assured, as uncomfortable as it may be, I am definitele able to stomach the sight of dire poverty and unsanitary conditions. I guess any 'fears' that I have stem from my knowledge of local dangers, and though I haven't experienced them myself, my relatives have, but I cannot help but think that it's not as bad as they say it is.

Have you gone around to different islands?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I am mainly staying in manila taking day trips around the place, I am thinking of heading down to cebu soon and up north a bit to baguio.

It's not that bad, there's a guy with a machine gun or shotgun in uniform on nearly every street :)

somecooldude

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Rest assured, as uncomfortable as it may be, I am definitele able to stomach the sight of dire poverty and unsanitary conditions. I guess any 'fears' that I have stem from my knowledge of local dangers, and though I haven't experienced them myself, my relatives have, but I cannot help but think that it's not as bad as they say it is.

Have you gone around to different islands?
if you want to go to different islands make sure you check out boracay, bohol and palawan. =)

i havent been to cebu myself, but ppl said its not worth going there for the "island" scene. its just like manila, busy, too many ppl, etc. depends what you like.

bustinjustin

HSC
Jennyness said:
Singapore is boring. Its much smaller than uni. The ppl work too hard over there and dont have sex. its just a bland, bland city.
So I've heard, so I'll limit my time there to a week at most, but I'll see how I go. I'm leaving on the 28th January for Manila and coming back home on the 26th February.

somecooldude

HSC
bustinjustin said:
So I've heard, so I'll limit my time there to a week at most, but I'll see how I go. I'm leaving on the 28th January for Manila and coming back home on the 26th February.
are you flying cathay via HKG? or are you direct to manila?

bustinjustin

HSC
YAY!
OMG!
I got my tickets today! It's unreal! I still can't believe it's all happening.
Was able to get a seat on the first off peak flight, 1st February, just in case anyone else is on the flight (so we can check in together and get seated beside each other), I'm on PR210 to Manila at 1125 am.

I'll be off to Singapore on Friday night, 10 February and have booked a week long stay. As it stands I will probably only spend the weekend there but as it turns out, an old primary school friend will also be there same time, and since our chaperones will most probably be busy with work, we'll have each other's company to fall back on (as invigorating as independent travel may be, it's nice to have someone to talk to, especially someone that can speak English with an Aussie accent)

For a while I wasn't able to secure a flight until March 3, meaning I would've missed out on Usyd Orientation week (unless cut offs increase exponentially, its where im headed to), but I eventually secured a flight back home on 26 February. Knowing how frenzied the pace of life is in Asia, especially in Manila, I really want and need more time. We'll see in time...

bustinjustin

HSC
somecooldude said:
are you flying cathay via HKG? or are you direct to manila?
I'm flying with Philippine Airlines Sydney - Manila vv, and Manila - Singapore vv, mainly for the frequent flyer points. Singapore Airlines was the cheapest though, but it was still cheaper to add on a sidetrip to my Sydney - Manila fare rather than book on JetstarAsia or Tiger Airways, which are still double the price I paid (only an extra $170 taxes included)

Are you going, and if so, when? Might see you around haha. Are you going with anyone?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Singapore for a week is a bit long, theres not much there. Would of been better to goto HK for shopping and Bangkok just to splurge, but oh well!

bustinjustin

HSC
copious said:
Singapore for a week is a bit long, theres not much there. Would of been better to goto HK for shopping and Bangkok just to splurge, but oh well!
I'll actually only spend a week there at most, I'll trek over to Malaysia and Thailand also beckons but yeah, I'll meet new people and go to where they're headed off!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)