SDD scaling (1 Viewer)

How do u take SDD?

• Seriously

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Not seriously

Votes: 13 28.3%

• Total voters
HSC
hi all i was jus wondering what u all thought of scaling and i am doing a poll to see how many people take it seriously cause i know some people dont

Last edited:

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i did the subjects with crap scaling and it didnt bother me. i didnt top the subjects or anything but i still did pretty well overall. im not sure how sdd scaled for me but i was surprised it didnt drag me down.

HSC
lol well atm im getting like 89%it because of the people who dont care about the sub in state that will drag that down

hornetfig

HSC
SDD Illogical? By definition.

As for scaling, it's pretty bad-looking:
http://www.uac.edu.au/mya/pubs/pdf/tableA2-2003HSC-fin.pdf
Code:
Software Design & Development 
Candidature: 3311 
         HSC mark Scaled mark -
Average 36.3     25.6
SD       6.3      9.8
Top     49.5     49.2
1%      47.0     43.8
10%     43.5     37.9
25%     40.5     33.2
50%     37.0     26.6
75%     33.0     18.4
What does that mean? the top person in the state was scaled down from 99 to 98. This is unusually bad, last year, and in subject a such as Modern History, the top person in the state, at least, gets scaled up

IronyHigh

lol well atm im getting like 89%it because of the people who dont care about the sub in state that will drag that down
What do you mean? It's all relative. If you do well compared to others then it's to your advantage.

And bleh, I think that sdd gets scaled unreasonably low. I don't think it's a bludging course, there's a lot of content, yet it's scaled so badly.

HSC
yes you see the reason why it gets scaled crap is because more the half of the people who do it dont care about the exam they only do it to do SOME programming it SHOULD get scaled like physics cause thats how they orginaally thought...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
in our case people didnt care about programming but rather they could have access to computers to play games.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
cmon...that was at the END of the year

hornetfig

HSC
true. Of course it used up perfectly valuable revision time which would have gone a very long way to helping no one get any more marks...

Besides, most could argue that playing games (or circumventing various draconian network security policies) was an escape from the general illogicalness of the subject.

I don't think it's our [school's] results that led SDD's poor scaling; with one exception.

HSC
slide u in year 11?

see its people like that, that screw up this subject... i wish they would just drop it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cutieangel

I agree that those people should drop it... However, from my school, which is an extremely big school, there are only 28 people doing it at the moment. That may seem a lot, but we have 3 schools and more combined into one. Most people dropped the course because most people found it hard. So IF your teacher gives you lots of work, and makes it hard... then people would generally drop it, cos they find it difficult to catch up. Also, this way.... the people who keeps the subject are people who are good at the subject, and thus will get a good HSC result... Maybe some of you should complain about the teachers... lol... jk jk

HSC
thats a really really good point...

at my school there are 7 doing it in year 12 and 3 in year 11... i jus get annoyed at people who treat this sub like crap

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
hummm 28 people....thats alot of people

theres only 3 people (me and 2 others) doing sdd at my school.
Well at first it started out with 8...then over time...6...then 4...and finally down to 3.
Some ppl found it difficult others found it unnecessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)