SCU Bachelor of Clinical Science (1 Viewer)

HSC
Wow, it's been a long time since I've been on these forums - i'm not even going to try and catch up on what i've missed.

Anyway, I'm considering going to university next year and have a keen interest in Osteopathy. Now, I'm a Sydney girl and it looks like the Ba of Clinical Science is the closest thing i have to studying Osteopathy in NSW. I have no intentions of travelling all the way to Lismore and before I email SCU, i was wondering if anyone knew if this course could be studied through correspondence? (fat chance i bet) I would reallllly like to study this - else i'll have to consider Chiropractic science at Macq uni or Physiotherapy :mad1:

Jibby123

HSC
Hey Snobby :)

Unfortunately there's no way you can study Osteo via correspondence (as it is such a hands on course..)

As you already know, SCU has just opened up the course in Lismore (first intake was 08), but aside from that, there is only RMIT and Vic Uni (both in Melbourne) that offer it out of the whole of Australia.

But I'm a Sydney girl as well, and've just completed my 1st year at RMIT after moving interstate. Seriously, this year has been so freakin wicked- I'd reccomend it to anyone. At RMIT, there's only about 40 people in each year level, and we all do the same subjects together (quite like primary school really) meaning we all help each other out with notes and study partners etc. And most importantly, we're all super close, and the social network that stems from just being in the course is huge.

But, be aware;
It can be difficult to get into (especially since the demand for it is so high and intake is quite low)...
And it's hard. Like, Med hard. You're going to have to be passionate and committed to get through.

Probably the biggest piece of advice I could give would be to find out as much about the profession and our philosophies as you can before you start, as we approach our treatment quite differently to how a Chiro or a Physio would...
Go find your nearest Osteo, and ask if you can do some clinical observations or work experience for a couple of days (or better yet, get treated yourself, or both!) Look up the AOA (Australian Osteopathic Association). Get your hands on some Osteo textbooks or journals from the library, if you can find any.

That'll prob give you the best chances of knowing what you're getting yourself into (lol) and also actually being accepted into the course.

That's about it really! (sorry for the essay, I got a bit carried away).
Post again if you have any more Q's!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)