Scriptwriter's '08 (1 Viewer)

karennjack

HSC
Hey guys -

Just wondering who's going to do a script for their 2008 Drama IP -

From the looks of things not many kids decide to do a script for their IP - I know I'm the only one in my year at school who is doing a script and even then I'm the first to do so in a fair few years - so support might be a little hard to come by. I figured we may as well all help eachother to motivate and edge eachother along. So, it would be cool if you introduced your script concept and style.

Well - I'm thinking about doing an absurd script, because I'd have to say theatre of the absurd is my favourite style at the moment. Anyone who hasn't read "Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett has to go and borrow it - you wont be sorry! At the moment I'm just researching the theatrical style in great detail, but I have to admit I've worried a little about my writing abilities. I haven't come up with a concept or idea yet which is bugging the crap out of me but I'm considering only having a few characters (probably four at the most) and I'm thinking of only having a one act one scene play (though this is all subject to change!...and knowing me i'll probably change 100 times before i get to and start)

Can't wait to hear bout all your script ideas!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Personally, I'm not doing scriptwriting. However, in my class, it one of the top three that people are doing: Performance, Scriptwriting, Costume Design. It seems surprising that so few are doing it in your school.

In terms of absurdist theatres, it is a very hard style to use effectively. It requires much thought into the dialogue that you are using. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, all I'm saying is that it will be a hard slog.

If your looking for inspiration, check out "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" by Edward Albee. Also, take a read of a transcript of "Who's on First?" by Abbott and Costello, possibly the most famous comedy scene of all time. It uses a lot of dialogue conventions which are easily adaptable to absurdist theatre.

gem.in.rough

HSC
I'm the only one in my class doing a script also and the first to do so in my school, so I need all the help I can get!!! I'm thinking of mixing my characters through past and present situations in a naturalistic form. It's kinda hard to describe my idea but I am looking forward to writing it.

I was just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the time limit. I find it really restricts character development etc... I wish it was longer, I know it would require more time and effort but thats just the way I would prefer it.

jennieTalia

HSC
Yay I'm scripting.

Just run with a theme. Start off with a word or something. I always need something to go back to if I'm just losing track. Most of my desk is covered in pictures of the SAME THING at the moment ehehehe.

Absurdist is cool and everything, but it seems that quite a few roll that way and get not that great returns? Just my hunch, but I wouldn't go too deeply absurdist unless you have either 1) a solid idea, 2) a great (random) quirk at writing in that style or 3) Can't face anything else.

I'm going for a minimalistic, symbollic piece... Sort of abstract, but not really...

Haven't found a word for it yet =]

Have fun writing!!

jetzg

HSC
I'm one of the two kids in my class who have chosen to do scriptwriting. I wake up at night, terrified that my script is going to be terrible. But its good to know that there are others out there! At first my script had this slightly 'gothic' vibe to it but now its turned itself into a political comment on war and how people (in second world countries) seem to ignore everything going on around them. I know its risky doing a political play, but the message isn't too controversial, so...

jennieTalia

HSC
I'm one of the two kids in my class who have chosen to do scriptwriting. I wake up at night, terrified that my script is going to be terrible. But its good to know that there are others out there! At first my script had this slightly 'gothic' vibe to it but now its turned itself into a political comment on war and how people (in second world countries) seem to ignore everything going on around them. I know its risky doing a political play, but the message isn't too controversial, so...

You know what? Don't worry. So what if it is controversial, if you can show that you have grasped the style well and your script is rocking they CANNOT mark you down for something they disagree with.
Of course some would argue that they would be indisposed to it. I say... do what is creatively right for you, because that's all you CAN do. :)
Good Luck.
Mine turned out much better than expected thank gosh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)