Screwing up Maths and Changing Subjects (1 Viewer)

ninja-boy

HSC
Yo

I'm having trouble with maths lately cause of the shitty grades i got. Ive been acing the shit in class but when it comes to test i fuck up hard, I dont work at home since my theory is as long as i know how to do it i dont need to practice. I recently got like 53% for 2unit paper lmao and 3 unit hasnt been givin back yet. Is there any way i can improve on maths??

Also my Modern History teacher is fucking our class over. All we learnt this year was straight out of the textbook, and she dosnt even write on the board, whilst other class the teacher goes apeshit and they acually learn. I want to drop it for Biology as i heard it was piss easy, but would i be able to catch up? And secondly would i be able to push for a change this late in the semester?

thanks in advance

Peace

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ninja-boy said:
Yo

I'm having trouble with maths lately cause of the shitty grades i got. Ive been acing the shit in class but when it comes to test i fuck up hard, I dont work at home since my theory is as long as i know how to do it i dont need to practice. I recently got like 53% for 2unit paper lmao and 3 unit hasnt been givin back yet. Is there any way i can improve on maths??

Also my Modern History teacher is fucking our class over. All we learnt this year was straight out of the textbook, and she dosnt even write on the board, whilst other class the teacher goes apeshit and they acually learn. I want to drop it for Biology as i heard it was piss easy, but would i be able to catch up? And secondly would i be able to push for a change this late in the semester?

thanks in advance

Peace
Care to enlighten me of your subjects? :)

ninja-boy

HSC
3Maths
advance english
Physics
economics
Photography (1unit subject)
Modern History

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ninja-boy said:
3Maths
advance english
Physics
economics
Photography (1unit subject)
Modern History
You cannot pick any subject can you?

I suggest you thinking of dropping Mathematics Extension 1 if you are performing bad in it. However, you should weigh the advantages & disadvantages of that. Good mark in Modern History will surely bring about good scaled mark. However, if you don't like it, you should consider dropping it.

lolokay

HSC
what type of mistakes did you make in your maths tests, and why did you make them?

it shouldn't be too hard to catch up with bio if you're pretty good at self-teaching. are you sure you can change subjects at this point in the year though?

you'll be able to drop 2 units at the end of year 11. what are you planning on dropping?

ninja-boy

HSC
Im not planning on dropping anything. Isnt having 2 extra units a backup incase you fuck up antoher 2u subject? I made stupid errors, but the thing is im aceing and getting everything done in class, which is weird of me to fuck up the test

-tal-

HSC
see... there's where you're going wrong. the "as long as you know how to do it theory and no need for practice" in maths doesn't work. i used to do it all the time, and breezed past everything easy up til now. i used to be like top 2 in maths every year, and then laziness comes back to haunt me. you've just gotta keep practicing, never EVER let your ego get in your way, even if you dont have hw, practice anyway. You're gonna have to be razor sharp evey time for maths; practice.

As for the change so late in the year, you might be able to do it ( and i'm saying it's like 5% chance). a guy in my school dropped @ the end of yr 11 n picked up some other subject n caught up on a year's work (dropped physics, picked up ag). But schools are really picky nowadays. Maybe talking to your teacher ( yeah, i know, but it works) about "utilising different" teaching methods helps. Badger & ambush them about it. They'll get the point. Or maybe if your dedicated enough, do your own home study, get more books and rely on yourself, not your teacher.

lolokay

HSC
ninja-boy said:
Im not planning on dropping anything. Isnt having 2 extra units a backup incase you fuck up antoher 2u subject? I made stupid errors, but the thing is im aceing and getting everything done in class, which is weird of me to fuck up the test
well I guess it depends whether the subjects you're doing are the type that you can majorly screw up on. you can be the judge of that. I'm personally gonna dropdown to 10 units - gives you a lot more time to work on the other units anyway

you seem to have made a hell of a lot of 'stupid errors' if you've been acing the work. I would probably suggest doing more challenging questions that require different methods that you're taught.

selablad

HSC
-tal- said:
see... there's where you're going wrong. the "as long as you know how to do it theory and no need for practice" in maths doesn't work. i used to do it all the time, and breezed past everything easy up til now. i used to be like top 2 in maths every year, and then laziness comes back to haunt me. you've just gotta keep practicing, never EVER let your ego get in your way, even if you dont have hw, practice anyway. You're gonna have to be razor sharp evey time for maths; practice.
Adding to that, don't practise the maths, but your test-taking skills. You seem far too...confident...to bother spending extra time on the actual maths (and if you are doing well in class then that says that the maths isn't a problem). Do your homework/past papers/revision sheets in test conditions so you can see what areas you need to work on.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
ninja-boy said:
A good way of working on your tests would be to do past exams in exam conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)