*screech* ... bang. (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
(Like my creative title? :p)

Has anybody here ever had a little doozy or two behind the wheel? Often the only way to understand how it happened (and, of course, to remove the assumption that the crash was due to driver error, regardless of if it was or not... :)) is to staple a "yes" or a "no" to a story.

So, campers, gather round! There are stories to be told! :p

I personally have only ever had one crash - back when I was 16. It was the last day I had my bush basher and I was tearing up our front paddock before we moved out (some dori action - that's doriftu for the slow ones ;)). It was raining, and on one of the laps (last, incidentally) I came out of the corner a wee bit wide - wet grass, bald front tyres, speed - I began to understeer towards the fence (a simple barbed wire livestock boundary). Braking was useless, as the wheels locked instantly and you couldn't even modulate pressure to regain braking grip. I had it in AWD and shifted into first immediately to try and use the engine to slow me, but it was too late. I then became a passenger - took my hands off the wheel, tightened by seat belt and did all I could to minimise damage to the fence and the car. I was impressed with myself - I did all this in less than 2-3 seconds!

But that was a bit exceptional. With the worsening conditions, the lack of the Subi's roadworthiness and the speed I was going, a crash was likely... but I've never crashed on the road before, despite driving like I'm back on the racetrack. :rolleyes:

Anybody else got a story? I hope we've all learnt the hard way at some point in the past, but came out unscathed and unhurt.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i had an incident on my aunties farm on a paddy basher about 2yrs ago (before i got my L's), i was going through a turn between a barbed wire fence and a couple of trees and i over estimated the amount of room on the fence side, so in my turn to avoid the trees i cut it close to the fence and slammed into it. what makes it worse is that beyond the fence is a slight ditch. so the car was tangled in the fence and had a wheel over the ditch.

no matter how much we tried to push it out, it just wouldnt budge, the combination of the fence and the ditch had left it stuck. to get it out we had to get a tow from another car.

since then ive stuck to the open paddock...

i havent had any incidents on the real roads, but ive cut it close once or twice.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
came around a corner in my mums VX ( only had my P's about a week)
turned traction control off, Power on
flat footed it and slammed it into a really wide street, got a nice power steer happening, went to correct, over corrected an 180 in the gutter, slamming the tire on the gutter, (right rear)
said that i cliped a medium strip turning, they still have no idea.
that scared me off going really fast an power steering around corners.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
hmm i once backed into a wall!! does that count? it didnt do anything. *bumper*... yeah, that covers my "crashes"

HSC
i haven't done anything too major, i drove over a roundabout and reversed into some rubbish bins but that's about it.

HSC
my brother rode his bike into the car when i was in the drivers seat. but the car was stopped he was just being a fuckwit and decided not to look where he was riding.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol im beginning to think that me, milla and katie are like some clan, we post all together lol

HSC
shellybelly087 said:
lol im beginning to think that me, milla and katie are like some clan, we post all together lol
oh thank fucking god u dropped the CA.... <3 lol

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Only real biggies ive had are:

Trying to get the lights up the road from uni, i realised that there was a red light camera and i was fucked if i was to brake, so accelerating i made it through fine, bit of back wheel screech, then the front wheels hit a ditch and sent me into a somewhat uncontrollable drift towards a tree, slightly backing off the gas to regain some sort of control, and at the last moment i got some control back, swung the wheel as far right as i could, and narrowly missed the cars on the other side of the road.

The second one was similar but loose gravel, big ass round about, 70 k/h rushing home in the rain, slid all around the roundabout narrowly missing 4 cars. Twas fun.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*never* is the word you're after chief ;)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
My dad had good tyres on the Camry before so no problems. Recently with these Dunlops I've been having a few problems with grip. In the wet if I touch the accelerator a bit to much the wheels spin so I have to let it go. Other than that I've never lost control of the car at high speed, only one low speed corner where the wet road and fast entry caused it to fishtail when I breaked a little too vigourously which wouldn't have been a problem on the dry. I'm still fast but I'm a bit more caution these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)