• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

scores vs percentiles 2006 (1 Viewer)

mofattlogger

HSC
N/A
heyall
my first post...dont usually post stuff but i couldnt find my answer on the forum
my question is

1. Aren't scores supposed to be comparable from one year to another...and i thought that a score of 180 was pretty much an equivalent of 220/230 ile...so why did i get a score of 178, but a percentile of 241...does that mean i'll miss out on interviews if the unis look at scores.

2. also, I heard that the uni. of adelaide is planning to let more SA students get into med, does that mean less interstate ppl get a place?

tnx everybody

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
2. yes and no..
with the new UWS places and more places all round.. they will try to get the best SA students cos they lose them to melbourne but SA is very friendly to ppl that want in cos its the 'best student not the closest one'

it doesnt realli matter except for melb that double weighs section... cos all scores are scaled.. so comparisons are fair

Pr0digy

Veritas Lux Mea
HSC
LottoX said:
Universities look at your UMAT scores, not your percentiles. Therefore, your percentile is insignificant.
This is not true if you're looking to get into Monash University as they do not look at your combined scaled score, but your combined percentile.

Pr0digy

Veritas Lux Mea
HSC
LottoX said:
Fine, one university in the whole of Australia/New Zealand looks at percentile scores.
And a very prestigious and highly competitive university at that! :)

black_raven777

HSC
This is a mini-rant about UMAT

I hate the UMAT scores - you got percentiles 241, score of 178 i had 254 and 176 - i know there's the whole bell curve thing but it just annoys me that the scores and percentiles can be so different :(

black_raven777

HSC
lol, thanks LottoX - makes me feel much better,

Congrats though - thats an awesome score - you must've absolutely nailed two sections, good work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)