Scientific paradigm for the spy who came in from the cold (1 Viewer)

SpeedWeed

HSC
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any notes/quotes for the scientific paradigm for the spy who came in from the cold? I'm having a little bit of trouble finding any myself as I feel that it's not as relevant to the book but we have to do it for a class task.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any notes/quotes for the scientific paradigm for the spy who came in from the cold? I'm having a little bit of trouble finding any myself as I feel that it's not as relevant to the book but we have to do it for a class task.
Well, just remember that not all the texts in ATB are meant to be exploring all the paradigms in depth. However, there is indeed a sense underlying despair as a result of the proliferation of the socio-political conflict between the capitalist west and communist east.

In terms of science, the Spy Who Came in from the Cold is a powerful text in which Le Carre integrates the discursive norms in relation to technology. For example, the Berlin Wall, one of the most poignant and most recognisable symbols of the Cold War, was described in detail with its "wires" and "cruel hooks". This could be a physical manifestation of the conflicts that engulfed the post-WWII zeitgeist: with the scientific paradigms that divided the East and the West amplifying the absurdity of technology such as nuclear warfare and more interestingly how this has introduced a paradoxical regression into conflict.

Also, le Carre uses cars and guns as symbols for the futility of the human condition. I do not have my notes as of now, but I guess this will be enough for you to get started. I'm sorry if I cannot go more in-depth, however I wish you the best of luck with your assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)