Scientific Mind (1 Viewer)

mameimo

HSC
How do i get a scientific mind, like say the teacher's explaining something and then some students start having a discussion with the teacher on things about or related to the explanation. Say i studied the section but even i don't know what they are talking about. Just how to you get that kind of thinking or something like that. How are they able to answer a question related to seomthing we were taught while i can't, and i know you can't learn off the books so don't tell me.

@who

HSC
heres the thing, most people pretend they know what theyre talking about when they really dont

HSC
im a bit like that.
im not really scientific but i do ok in bio. i guess bio is easier than physics though.
although its hard when people use information we've learnt to apply to different situations.
then im stuffed

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
@OP - I'm one of those people. It's probably because i watch what some may call educational tv - ie. Mythbusters, documentaries on the ABC and SBS (to do with science and modern), Prototype this etc and i youtube a lot of random science stuff so i know a bit more than the average student.

Besides that, i don't have a tutor for any of my science and i don't learn ahead.. i guess i just have a good memory and am able to relate what i'm learning to the real world XD

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
OK, it depends on how you think.

Are you a word person? - do you study and learn better when things are written down in words
Are you a picture person? - do you study and learn better when you draw little diagrams and pictures and graphs and such to help you understand
Are you a verbal person? - do you prefer to hear it explained
Are you a doing person? - do you like to do something to understand what is happening

When you know your style of learning, then you can start to fix your understanding. If the teacher is explaining and you are a picture person, you need her/him to DRAW a diagram as he/she speaks. Or you need to try and draw one. If you learn by doing, then you need to work out some way to visualise or do the thing that is being explained.

Decoding questions, though, is another thing. If it is a written answer (ie words) then you need to understand what the key words mean: explain, discuss, describe etc. These are available from the Board or Studies webiste or even at the back of the Physics syllabus (also available at the BOS).

If it is a number question you need to pull out the numbers as you read them. If the questions talks about the amount of charge and find the resistance and gives you a time and voltage, on the right hand side of the page write the information in a little "Info box". R = ?, q = 3 C, t = 45 s, V = 3 V
Using that, you then look at the formulae you know and see what ones you can use to find the required outcome.

If you are worried about not knowing stuff that is off syllabus but related that is simply a matter of being better read and watch more science shows and such. Mythbusters is a good one (as suggested), Catalyst, and those sorts of things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)