• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Science Scholarship and Marks (1 Viewer)

Ajihood

HSC
I got a merit scholarship ($6000 a year for the duartion of my degree) to science at USyd and im over the moon!! So happy!!

However, one of the clauses is however is that I have to maintain a AAM (annual Average mark) of 75 (Distinction level).

I was wondering how hard is that to do at Usyd? And how is it caulcualted? Im planning to do Nanotech, Physics, Chem and Geo if that helps.

ssglain

HSC
Firstly, congratulations! :)

The AAM is basically total marks divided by total credit points for that year.

As far as I'm aware, AAM doesn't weight each subject by credit points, which is what WAM (weighted average mark) does. Anyone? The WAM calculator is here. There isn't one for AAM.

As for how hard it is to maintain D average, it really depends on you. I've just finished 1st year with HD average and I didn't find it difficult at all. I am interested in my subjects and so I find it easy to study. So if you are doing subjects which you enjoy and you are willing to put in a reasonable amount of effort (by that I mean paying attention in lectures, doing tutorial exercises, doing pre-lab/post-lab work, writing notes - and of course, cramming in stuvac), then a HD/D average is very easy to achieve.

Ajihood

HSC
Thanks for your help :) Cant wait for uni and hopefully I will be able to maintain D :) I am a very hard worker and love my science (Albeit my maths lets me down a little)

ddtng

HSC
Ajihood said:
Im planning to do Nanotech, Physics, Chem and Geo if that helps.
I don't know how you're going to possibly fit all that in a combined degree.

I managed to get slightly above the D average this year from, well, I wouldn't call it minimal effort but it was a surprise. Certainly aim to get D or above in certain subjects and try to minimise the effect of the others, like maths, which you say you aren't going to do as well in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)