Science Help Needed!! (1 Viewer)

simonkey

HSC
i have a few questions that i need to know, its from the science syllabus

5.12USING TECHNOLOGY
-how have developments in electronics changed technology?
-applications of electronics?
-how is nuclear energy used in medicine and technology?
-benefits and problems of using biotechnology?
-social and ethical problems with using biotechnology?
-how has technology increased the variety of materials?

HELLLLLLLLLLPPPP ME PLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T

Testpilot

Before you read my answer please take note that i did my HSC this year and its been 2 years since my SC so my response my not be what the syllabus requires, but I am trying to help you.

simonkey said:
-how have developments in electronics changed technology?
Think of the effect that the Y2k bug was suposed to have. This shows the importance of technology. Electronics have allowed things to become more complex (i.e. can do more) and smaller.

simonkey said:
-applications of electronics?
Computers etc, basically anything that runs on electricity (including battery powered things) will use electronics.

simonkey said:
-how is nuclear energy used in medicine and technology?
Positron Emission Tomography (PET)-This is from HSC physics so I'll simplify it for you.

-The patient is fed/injected a radio isotope (something that emitts gamma rays). -A detector then detects these gamma rays.
-The data is displayed on a computor screen where the doctor can analyse the data, just like in a x-ray for example.

Note that this is extremely simplified, but to explain it properly would be beyond the SC science course.
simonkey said:
-how has technology increased the variety of materials?
A would estimate that now materials would lead to an exponential growth in technology.

Anyone else want to throw their hat in the ring and help?

Good luck in the SC.

frezbo

HSC
Here are some quick points that hopefully will help, and you will probably want to research them after reading this, so that they make more sense to you. But I’ll do my best at answering your questions off the top of my head:

-developments in electronics have changed technology tremendously. As we have learnt more about electricity and how to use it, we have developed light bulbs, circuits, heaters, kitchen appliances, toys, batteries, computers, even cars etc etc. Besides new inventions based on electronics, we have discovered different ways to produce our power, from gas, burning coal, solar power and wind power to nuclear processes. So, our technology has changed from scientific advancements – we can be more efficient in our power consumption, and we have learnt the impacts of our actions against the environment. This has caused us to look into other ways to create energy, which has enhanced our technology even further.

-applications of electronics are everywhere. Just about anything that requires electricity or a battery is an application of electronics.

-nuclear energy can be used in medicine, with sterilisation, curing cancer, with various scanning devices, such as CAT, PET and MRI scans. During these scans, a person is injected with a radioactive substance. Depending on the product of the scan, doctors can see where the radioactive element has gone to, which can indicate different things, for instance, broken bones absorb Technetium-99, but healthy bones do not. Nuclear energy in technology can be used as a power generator, as a weapon of mass destruction, it can be used to locate broken pipes underground, and how old something was when it died (this is called Carbon Dating).

-benefits and problems of biotech – this is very detailed. Advantages can include: higher yield in farming, more efficient use of resources, it increases our understanding of nature and it provides us with medical tools, it presents us with the opportunity to feed more people (eg. we can GM crops to live in harsh conditions where plants would not grow before), it may lower pesticide and herbicide usage, etc etc. Disadvantages are bio-pollution (if GM species breed with non-GM species), ethics involved, some GMF’s cause allergic reactions, potential health and environmental risks, each new GM has to be very carefully monitored, and a new form of crime can be created – biopiracy, and also fake labelling and mixing of GMF’s and non-GMF’s.

- ethics are also very complicated. Some for food and animal genes mixed include: is a plant still a plant if it has animal genes in it? What about vegetarians/vegans who may want to eat that food? Is it a violation of the organism’s rights to have their genes changed? Is it going against nature? What right do humans have to change nature. Also, if bio-pollution occurs, there could be a massive change in the biodiversity of an area, which could lead to its destruction. For cloning, ethics are also important. Is it humane to clone a person? Does the clone have rights? Are they are real person? If we put different genes in humans, are they still human? There are also religious debates involved. The list is very extensive.

-technology has helped increase the variety of materials with the discovery of unnatural, or synthetic elements and chemicals. Some of these are radioactive elements that do not exist for long, but many synthetic materials are used every day, for example, polymers, which are long chains of chemicals. Theses are found in plastics, such as polyester, polystyrene, nylon, rayon etc. Other synthetic materials are alloys, which includes stainless steel, which is resistant to rust, and so on. This is just one of the ways technology has helped increase the variety of materials in our world.

Sorry if I went on too long, I’m not sure how much information you wanted, and you have probably already found this all out by now, but this helped me study as well :)
Good luck in your exams, and I hope this helped!
~*frezbo*~

T

Testpilot

frezbo said:
-nuclear energy can be used in medicine, with sterilisation, curing cancer, with various scanning devices, such as CAT, PET and MRI scans. During these scans, a person is injected with a radioactive substance. Depending on the product of the scan, doctors can see where the radioactive element has gone to, which can indicate different things, for instance, broken bones absorb Technetium-99, but healthy bones do not. Nuclear energy in technology can be used as a power generator, as a weapon of mass destruction, it can be used to locate broken pipes underground, and how old something was when it died (this is called Carbon Dating).
CAT use x-rays not nuclear isotopes.

MRI-Magnetic Resonance Imaging- uses the properties of atoms under the influence of a magnetic field to generate a scan.

Neither use a radioisotope. Only PET scans do.

frezbo

HSC
Testpilot said:
CAT use x-rays not nuclear isotopes.

MRI-Magnetic Resonance Imaging- uses the properties of atoms under the influence of a magnetic field to generate a scan.

Neither use a radioisotope. Only PET scans do.
mmkay, i must be getting all my year 9 waves and nuclear physics mixed up. thanks for clarifying that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)