Science Game (1 Viewer)

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
Jumper :^) said:
Hey does anyone know if we're meant to know about Australian scientists for the SC? For the yearlies we were meant to study an Australian female scientist... I've forgotten all about her.
Nope, I don't think so.

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
Deer said:
^ apparantly so, but at most it will be a 3 mark question, so just state their name, their discovery and its impact, one sentence on each. Don't study her heaps.
Really? I never learnt about that. =S

studentcheese

HSC
Yeah you need to know it. We did it, unless it's some extension work. Like seriously, we learnt how to balance equations in a chemistry topic, and apparantely, it's not in the SC.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
In the 2007 (? I believe.. I'm not 100% sure though) science school certificate they asked for an australian scientist and their contribution. Probably wont be asked, but will only take 5 minutes to learn just in case :p

super.muppy

HSC
Name and describe an Australian scientist who contributed to the society

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Well, from this thread ive heard of Dr. Ian Frazer.

Born 1953, won Australian Scientist of the year 2006
Immunologist
Developed Gardasil--> vaccination against human papiloma virus (cervical cancer)
Has been proven to reduce risk of pap smear abnomalities by 90%, reduce incidence of HPV infection.

And thats all I know, but hopefully (if at all), all I'll need.

Robro

HSC
ok i have a question.

Write a word equation for the following reaction types:
- combustion
- corrosion
- precipitation
- acids on metals and acids on carbonates
- neutralisation
- decomposition

and could you also let me know what they mean :uhoh: .

Thanks

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
What are some difficulties that scientists have faced in regards to finding out information about the universe?

mikiiFMF

HSC
Robro said:
ok i have a question.

Write a word equation for the following reaction types:
- combustion
- corrosion
- precipitation
- acids on metals and acids on carbonates
- neutralisation
- decomposition

and could you also let me know what they mean :uhoh: .

Thanks
Combustion: magnesium + oxygen --> magnesium oxide.
Combustion means that something is burning

Corrosion: no idea.
Corrosion means that something is rusting. e.g. iron nails, or something

precipitation: silver nitrate + sodium chloride --> silver chloride + sodium nitrate
Precipiation means that two clear solutions are mixed, forming an insoluble solid

Acids on metals: acid + metal --> salt + hydrogen
iono what this means...

Acids on carbonates: acid + carbonate --> salt + water + carbon dioxide.
iono what this means either...

Neutralisation: acid + base --> salt + water.
means that acid + base= basically nothing.

Decomposition: calcium carbonate --> calcium oxide + carbon dioxide
means that something is breaking down and decomposing.

hope this helped. =]

xV1P3R

HSC
Corrosion:
4Fe(s) + 3O2(g) → 2Fe2O3(s)
Iron+Oxygen-->Iron Oxide
Corrosion, but corroding iron is commonly known as rusting

Acids on metals: acid + metal --> salt+hydrogen
eg. Hydrochloric Acid HCl + Zinc metal Zn --> Salt Zinc Chloride ZnCl + Hydrogen Gas
Acids on carbonates, anything ending in CO3.

Salts basically means whatever's left in the reaction, like in the example above, after hydrogen is taken out of the reactants, you're left with Zinc and Chlorine.

Last edited:

xV1P3R

HSC
Wiki:
Scientific laws are similar to scientific theories in that they are principles that can be used to predict the behavior of the natural world. Both scientific laws and scientific theories are typically well-supported by observations and/or experimental evidence. Usually scientific laws refer to rules for how nature will behave under certain conditions.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory#cite_note-6 Scientific theories are more overarching explanations of how nature works and why it exhibits certain characteristics.
A common misconception is that scientific theories are rudimentary ideas that will eventually graduate into scientific laws when enough data and evidence has been accumulated. This is not true, as scientific theory and scientific law have different definitions. A theory does not change into a scientific law with the accumulation of new or better evidence. A theory will always remain a theory, a law will always remain a law. A theory will never become a law, and a law never was a theory. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory#cite_note-7

crazynessss

HSC
How does the nervous system work with the endocrine system in order to properly function a human body?

nobby11

HSC
:wave: The Endocrine System is a foundation of glands. The hormones these glands release influence nearly all cells, organs and the function of our bodies. It controls mood, growth, development, tissue function, metabolism, sexual functions and reproductive processes.

This system includes two separate systems, PNS (Perpheral Nervous System) and the CNS (Central Nervous System). The PNS consists of:-

o Sensory Neurons- transmits impulses from sense organs via a dendron to other neurons via an axon.
o Motor Neurons- transmits impulses from the CNS to muscles and glands.
o Connector Neurons- are located in the CNS and have short axons. They carry impulse from sensory to motor neurons. :hammer: :santa:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)