Schools In The Bankstown Area (1 Viewer)

fatmannz

HSC
Cmon! We gotta realise that Sefton is a crap school by now! Who doesn't realise that? Coombes is "transferring" two teachers to the next avaliable post because they are standing up for the students and telling them to take problems up with Coombes and the BOS. Isn't that so unfair?!! These are well respected and long term teachers.

The way in which Sefton is run is entirely BS. The system in which it is run should be overturned and destroyed! It is old fashioned and conservative to the extreme. Sefton is a good place where there are a lot of friendly people and teachers. But the administration is poor.

A student will do well if they are dedicated. That's a given. If you are dedicated you can do anything no matter what conditions you are in. You could be in the worst school in the state and you could do well in HSCs and SC if you are dedicated.

You don't see the amount of students from other schools complaining that their school is Crap! Sefton students complain because they have the potential to be the best but they can't reach it because of the way the school is run!

People say the Maths History and Sciences are good in Sefton. It's because most of us are azns. We excel in maths because we were raised up to be good at maths.

For Sefton to reach its full potential, we need to get rid of Coombes and replace it with a less conservative principal! Sefton Students Rock! (except Nerdsforever and lilgarygame)

lilgarygame

HSC
N/A
fatmannz said:
Cmon! We gotta realise that Sefton is a crap school by now! Who doesn't realise that? Coombes is "transferring" two teachers to the next avaliable post because they are standing up for the students and telling them to take problems up with Coombes and the BOS. Isn't that so unfair?!! These are well respected and long term teachers.

The way in which Sefton is run is entirely BS. The system in which it is run should be overturned and destroyed! It is old fashioned and conservative to the extreme. Sefton is a good place where there are a lot of friendly people and teachers. But the administration is poor.

A student will do well if they are dedicated. That's a given. If you are dedicated you can do anything no matter what conditions you are in. You could be in the worst school in the state and you could do well in HSCs and SC if you are dedicated.

You don't see the amount of students from other schools complaining that their school is Crap! Sefton students complain because they have the potential to be the best but they can't reach it because of the way the school is run!

People say the Maths History and Sciences are good in Sefton. It's because most of us are azns. We excel in maths because we were raised up to be good at maths.

For Sefton to reach its full potential, we need to get rid of Coombes and replace it with a less conservative principal! Sefton Students Rock! (except Nerdsforever and lilgarygame)
Shut UP THY,
just because i let you look at my big fat melons through my ultra tight shirt that i wear for some odd reason even though i know nobody wants to look at me
doesnt mean you can disrespect me

aLexTasyy

HSC
LMAO cheso high is SOOO wayyy better! LMAo at sefton ive heard that your pd teachers have been teaching computer classes..?! whats the go with that? (sources of this info will be kept confidential...)

justxlouise

HSC
^ lol ? Since when did our pd teachers teach 'computer classes' ? Never heard of that one .

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Well, this is coming from personal experience but students all tend to diss the school they come from – to look for their school’s shortcomings, how “crap” it is, etc., so it is not exactly surprising that alumni would focus on the negativity of the school rather than its beneficial aspects. The 2006 yearbook was extremely negative, and at one point we were thinking when they would say something nice about the place that they should hold a bit more respect for. Also, unless you can flash out some evidence attesting to the fact that “most people who got UAIs above 95 believed that school is crap”, I’m afraid I can’t comment. Plenty of my friends like Sefton, even with all its shortcomings. (Also, I could bring up the school captain of 2005, 2004, etc who think that Sefton was awesome - see, anyone can bring up people and then use them to represent all those who have passed through the gates of the school.) When you decide not to nitpick at every thing the school does that you are not in agreement with, Sefton becomes a better place. Call it post-HSC nostalgia, but I choose to believe that Sefton has fostered some amazing friendships and relationships – and you’ll find that even though we might not like all the policies put in place, we do accept the rationale behind them.
First of all, hardly anybody from other schools criticise their own school. They actually feel sorry for us, because we didn't have the same freedom that they did.
Secondly, the 2006 yearbook had nothing extremely negative to say about Sefton. Did you even read the Yearbook? How dare you make such an accusation!!! :angry:
Most of my friends scored UAI above 95, myself as well, believed Sefton was crap. Friends from 07 who also scored UAIs above 95 hold the same view.
You want evidence? Here's what the dux of 2004 thinks of Sefton: (keep in mind he was also attending the school at the time before Coombes moved in)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?p=662103#post662103
"bah i just asked today.. seems like we don't get our ranks. not even confidentially

swear ever since our old principal ran off to sydney boys everything started fucking up... quality of teachers, teaching, school, policies, and quality of students at sefton "

Face the music, the majority view is that Sefton is a crap school thanks to Coombes regardless of their background and you can't change that.

Zephyrio said:
I will concede that many of the policies are indeed conservative, and yes they should be relaxed but when does Coombes ever get praised for all the good she has imparted into the school – most of which does not reach public consciousness? It’s much easier to focus on the negative rather than the positive.
Some of Coombes' policies are fine, but too many of her policies are ultra-conservative and these ultra-conservative policies far outweigh any of the half decent policies implemented because they have the biggest impact on the students.

Zephyrio said:
Once again I shall reiterate the fact that I don’t think that Sefton is this perfect place. I don’t. I think you’re making a big issue out of nothing – to not have undergarments visible is a perfectly viable rule. In fact, it’s a rule at many schools. I don’t want to see people’s underwear or whatever sticking out, and because such a small minority of people were affected by the rule, it’s basically a cheap shot at the administration. In the words of that dude on Thank God You’re Here, “Do you want to change into something more comfortable?” Are we going to be petty about such a minor rule? How many people actually want to display their undergarments anyway?
I'm not saying that Sefton should be perfect. The fact is that Sefton was better before Coombes moved in. It should have stayed that way, not decline.
With regards to the undergarment rule, it's actually not implemented in many schools. It's an example of one of the many rules which are just plain ridiculous. It affects more people than you think. This has nothing to do with underwear. I'm talking about upper body undergarments under school uniforms.
In the winter, particularly when it gets very cold, the majority of students have to wear other garments underneath their school uniform. Simply wearing a school jumper is usually inadequate in extremely cold days. Most are forced to abide by that rule and hence stay out of trouble. The jumpers have a V collar, which can easily expose any non-school uniform undergarments which do not have a similar shaped collar. Those who get caught are the minority, but the majority are forced to tuck those undergarments away from view and avoid trouble. Hence, the rule does affect the students to a significant extent.

Zephyrio said:
In regards to the year 12 concert, we handed in a proposal for one to proceed but that was knocked back. The principal then, in what was considered quite an unprecedented move, suggested that we have a “Year 12 week” where year 12’s were allowed to set up candy stores, sausage sizzles, games and assemblies involving acts throughout the whole week. The loss of the year 12 concert was lamented but it was replaced with something that was enjoyable for most students, and lasted for far longer than a two hour long show. Do you blame the principal for fearing that the school’s reputation would be soiled by the actions of a select few who decided that it would be a good idea to go onto youtube and post some of the most racist, blatantly inappropriate things? You should be more balanced in your assessment of this issue and recognise the enormous pressure placed on the administration by parents who did not want their children to the load of bull that have come out in year 12 concerts. The decisions to ban the Sefton Journal and the year 12 concert does not just magically materialise in the mind of our former principal: my English teacher told me that many parents took offense to some of the content of both things, and that the decision to ban them were due to parental pressure. And going by your comments that ranks should be made available for parents who want them, why should the parents be considered in that instance and not regarding the year 12 concert?
Well first of all, I was not aware that there was parental pressure. There are hardly any parents who come to the concerts (it's usually no more than 10). Parents usually come on graduation day. Fine, I'll try to accept the validity of that, but a more appropriate measure would have been to actually regulate the performances rather than just ban them altogether.
If the principal removed the concert supposedly due to parental pressure why doesn't the school also bow to parental pressure to release ranks?

Zephyrio said:
Point taken. I still believe that ranking or no ranking, it doesn’t really matter. You ranked highly in your subjects so for you it wasn’t so much of an issue. For some of my friends, knowing their ranks would have been devastating. Again, it’s not to much of a huge deal when you consider that you get your rankings anyway. To condemn this issue to the level of “censorship” – as if the school is on par with that of political bureaucracy – is just blowing things out of proportion. You get your relative position nowadays – given bands A B C D E – and how many students are placed within them – so there is a fair indication of where the student sits in any case. But of course, this has gone unnoticed, or rather, unappreciated by most students.
This is indeed a case of beaurocracy gone too far. At the very least, students should have the right to receive their ranks on request if they will not be printed on a report. Should a student not want to find out his or her rank for whatever reason, then he or she will not request for it. Those who want to know their ranks should not be denied that information just because others are afraid of them.
To quote from Lazarus, the creator of these forums and has extensive knowledge about the HSC processes, this is from the same thread mentioned above:
(http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?p=658123#post658123)
"No. You can obtain your ranks by making a formal application under the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (NSW). Of course, you shouldn't actually have to do that - just point it out to them, if they refuse. Any sensible school wouldn't be refusing in the first place. Bureaucracies can be so irritating at times."

Zephyrio said:
To conclude: I see Sefton as an essentially wonderful place with many flaws, which are to be expected from any school you choose to visit anywhere in the world. It’s not a perfect place, but it’s a place where the good outweigh the bad (else you wouldn’t be producing so many quality students and humans). The bad receives more press, of course; just look at the constant criticism of George Bush without weighing in the good that he has done. Try looking for both sides before reaching a conclusion.

He, like Sefton, is not a perfect man. And we shouldn’t expect him to be, either.
LOL at the allusion to Bush. Bush received more bad press than most other presidents because his policies were more unfavourable. Do you really think Bush has done better than all the other presidents? Of course we don't expect him to be perfect, but we don't expect him to make too many bad policies either. Unfortunately he made too many bad moves which contributed to his loss of popularity (much like Coombes with her policies). McCain's loss was partly contributed to the fact that people did not want another Bush-like era. If students had the chance to elect their principles much like politics (that actually seems like a good idea!!!lol), I highly doubt Coombes would have a chance...unless the other parties are extremely ruthless....lol :p

Sefton has a more flaws than most other schools. I have already looked at both sides before reaching that conclusion. I used to actually defend Sefton much like you did, in Year 11, but since Year 12 there was too much bad that my views had changed.

I concede that you'll probably never change your views and you'll never change mine. I think this debate should end here. You can believe what you want, but do realise that you are part of a minority group...:p

Last edited:

crazynessss

HSC
lilgarygame meet me in the boys toilet at 9am

i want to put my sausage in your hole

if you know what i mean

;)
i like your plump melons

they're so juicy and delicious

and that tight bra of yours

yummmmmmm

lets have a threesome with santussameer

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

untitled....

HSC
Man, the bitchiness alone makes me grateful that I didn't accept the selective school offer to attend Sefton.

Mongoz

DySFuNcTioNal
HSC
ok sefton is shit
lol dont start arguing again im just jokingggg
:p
annd again for the billionth time a school is a school
if u wanna do well u can
if u wanna screw up u can
:)

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
Doctor Jolly said:
Birrong Girls is a very good school in my opinion - it is a pity though, how very little of the teacher's efforts are presented in the results in the HSC. They have an excellent English and History staff who are very efficient and the facilities there are very good for a comprehensive school. The Science department there, bar about 2-3 teachers need patching up though.

Yeah, I agree..some teachers are awesome..while some need "patching up" :)..I think that overall...its not that bad..its a simple and organised school..

fatmannz

HSC
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Sefton is a pretty crap school but its betta than most of the schools surrounding it... Chester Hill, Bass hill, Sir Joseph Banks and Birrong boys just to name a few. The management of Sefton by Coombes is at best poor... I am a student at Sefton at the moment and I dislike the way Coombes is running the place... There is nothing wrong with the teaching staff and most facilities of the school... Its just the way the administrative part of the school runs which is really bad.

I have seen many people leave as a direct result of the poor administration and management of the school systems. I wish that the management and administration could be fixed and better policies implimented. I would certainly be much happier and it would give sefton a better quality of students

lig3r

HSC
lol how about this, u go to a skool not in the bankstown area? has that ever occured 2 ne of you? i go oatley (i reckon is hektik) n i live in bankstown area

moeycq

b0$$
HSC
Condell park has actually improved a lot in recent years..

minhbola

HSC
Have u heard of Bankstown Senior College ( BSC), it s a good school, no bully, no uniform, 4 day week the only thing is many of ur classmates r 18+, some even have kids and grand child. It s easy to climb to the top of each subject and good UAI.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Sefton is a pretty crap school but its betta than most of the schools surrounding it... Chester Hill, Bass hill, Sir Joseph Banks and Birrong boys just to name a few. The management of Sefton by Coombes is at best poor... I am a student at Sefton at the moment and I dislike the way Coombes is running the place... There is nothing wrong with the teaching staff and most facilities of the school... Its just the way the administrative part of the school runs which is really bad.

I have seen many people leave as a direct result of the poor administration and management of the school systems. I wish that the management and administration could be fixed and better policies implimented. I would certainly be much happier and it would give sefton a better quality of students
Actually, Sefton seems to do pretty well in the HSC.

denko1992

HSC
Go to Sefton. The school may not be the best, but in lighe of the options that you have available, i would strongly advise it.

Sefton Out. :p

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Sefton's facilities may suck, and the principal is evil, but just the mere competition will push you to your maximum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)