Schools In The Bankstown Area (1 Viewer)

johony

HSC
UNZPME said:
Do u wnnaa achive n get betaa marks wel cum 2 condel prk :):D:D:D das all i guta say bst education :D:D:D:D:D:D:D i used 2 b shyttt n nowww im accingg it all
As we can see visually.

TearsOfFire said:
Bankstown doesn't really offer that many choices in terms of high schools. If you are willing, take a look at some of the private schools in the Strathfield area.
The schools in those areas are much, much better - but they are much more expensive too.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
so if i said the schools East Hills Boys Tech, belmore boys what would you guys think?

rate them for me please from 1-3.
3 being the worst and one being the best out of the three

eg.
east hills
belmore

Last edited:

over9k

HSC
all schools is bankstown are shit. i can vouch for this.
i don't know about de la salle but those kids are smug as hell.

justxlouise

HSC
^ Did you do a survey in order to find out whether many people think Sefton is a good school?
Stop bagging Sefton out Angela. If you hate it so much then why did you come in the first place?
Sefton can't be the best of the state, but hey, blame yourself for doing so shit.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
justxlouise said:
^ Did you do a survey in order to find out whether many people think Sefton is a good school?
Stop bagging Sefton out Angela. If you hate it so much then why did you come in the first place?
Sefton can't be the best of the state, but hey, blame yourself for doing so shit.
Ouch. :cold:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
SomeoneCool said:
Not many good schools will accept you in the prelim/HSC years. Other, not so good schools would, such as Birrong Girls and Bass Hill High.
Not true. The teachers there are really good and the classes are small.

HSC
Birrong girls is a pretty good school. like what doc jolly sed, the teachers are good and most of the students there are nice.
SomeoneCool said:
Not many good schools will accept you in the prelim/HSC years. Other, not so good schools would, such as Birrong Girls and Bass Hill High.

diametric

HSC
Not all schools in the Bankstown region are shite - Malek Fahd are pretty darn good with 9th position last yr. Though, it is an Islamic school, so yah.

(and, haha, yes I do attend)

crazynessss

HSC
nerdsforever said:
That's very harsh of you! I am entitled to express what I think, dont I? People have different expectations and different views on things.

Why should you care what I think of Sefton? No, I did not do a survey. I just know that hundreds of people want to come to Sefton, and everyone says its a good school. More people say its a good school than more people say that its a bad school. I am simply saying that its worse than what other people say it is like.

Also, I understand that it cant be the best school in the whole state, but I am just saying that its shit. Shit can have many meanings. It does not mean that its shit in terms of rankings. It is shit in terms of the facilities, shit in terms of some teachers and shit in terms of the way the school operates. I actually think that it's a top ranked school. Therefore, your interpretation of my saying sefton is 'shit' is entirely incorrect.

And for your information, I came to this school because it was close to where I live and its ranking was HIGH. but it terms of facilties, it is shit.

Surely, you are entitled to have a say in what you think about the school, and when you replied so angrily to my post, it means that you think sefton is a good school. I respect what you think, and I will not argue about what you 'think', like the way you replied so angrily to the way 'I think'.

But I just want to point out that when you replied that 'I was doing shit' was very rude of you. You have no right to judge if I am doing shit or not. I find that I am doing fine, thank you very much. I have expectations of myself, and I think I have met my expectations. Therefore, I am not doing shit.

You might start getting all pissy over this post, but hey, blame yourself - you started this. If you just simply told me: Sefton is a good school. Stop dissing it. I would have said: Fair enough.
However, you started attacking my grades in terms of the school. That is not something two Seftoners over the net should be doing.

Here's my two cents: Respect what others' think, and dont start attacking them like that, or else it will give the others a bad impression of only you.
Fck you, you're a dumbass at Sefton. You're Ms Hang's accomplice and I know that you fail possibly every subject that I have with you, fool. :mad:

justxlouise

HSC
nerdsforever said:
That's very harsh of you! I am entitled to express what I think, dont I? People have different expectations and different views on things.

Why should you care what I think of Sefton? No, I did not do a survey. I just know that hundreds of people want to come to Sefton, and everyone says its a good school. More people say its a good school than more people say that its a bad school. I am simply saying that its worse than what other people say it is like.

Also, I understand that it cant be the best school in the whole state, but I am just saying that its shit. Shit can have many meanings. It does not mean that its shit in terms of rankings. It is shit in terms of the facilities, shit in terms of some teachers and shit in terms of the way the school operates. I actually think that it's a top ranked school. Therefore, your interpretation of my saying sefton is 'shit' is entirely incorrect.

And for your information, I came to this school because it was close to where I live and its ranking was HIGH. but it terms of facilties, it is shit.

Surely, you are entitled to have a say in what you think about the school, and when you replied so angrily to my post, it means that you think sefton is a good school. I respect what you think, and I will not argue about what you 'think', like the way you replied so angrily to the way 'I think'.

But I just want to point out that when you replied that 'I was doing shit' was very rude of you. You have no right to judge if I am doing shit or not. I find that I am doing fine, thank you very much. I have expectations of myself, and I think I have met my expectations. Therefore, I am not doing shit.

You might start getting all pissy over this post, but hey, blame yourself - you started this. If you just simply told me: Sefton is a good school. Stop dissing it. I would have said: Fair enough.
However, you started attacking my grades in terms of the school. That is not something two Seftoners over the net should be doing.

Here's my two cents: Respect what others' think, and dont start attacking them like that, or else it will give the others a bad impression of only you.
Haha and I'm entitled to say whatever I want as well ;)

Hundreds of people? Haha, do you know all these 'hundreds of people'? Quite exaggerated. 'Everyone says it's a good school' -- I'm not part of the everyone therefore you can't use the term 'everyone'.

Haha if it's shit in terms of teachers, wouldn't that mean it's shit in terms of education as well if the teachers are shit? If the education is shit then it must be a shit school. My interpretation of your 'shit' is not entirely incorrect :)

Hmmm... I guess you don't know me well enough to judge whether my post was written 'angrily' or not. No, I don't think Sefton is a good school compared to some other schools, but oh well.

Lol, actually I am not judging how well you are doing. I am just pointing out the fact that you weren't pleased with your half yearly results, as mentioned in one of your posts on this forum. If you have met your expectations, don't go raging about your grades about how 'shit' they were.

Haha you make me laugh. As well as the commentor above me. It doesn't matter what two Seftoners do on the net. Hah, I can crap on about my grades over the net to other Seftoners.

I'll respect your point of view when you start learning how to respect your best friend. I'm not the type of person who goes around backstabbing their best friend ( in your care Ms. Hang). Like I care whether I leave a bad impression of myself or not. Like me or hate me, I'm still me. They'll never realise what my personality is really like, they're just missing out on all the fun :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Sefton is a good school for maths (it's a semi-selective school that beats full selective schools in maths every year so yeah go figure)...everything else though is pretty crap. The facilities are pretty old as well, but the library's pretty nice.

It would be an OK school to go to EXCEPT for one thing....the principal Coombes.
She is an absolute bitch who abuses her power. Students practically have little rights in the school thanks to her. She removed all the good stuff that used to be in the school (Year 12 concert, Year 10s signout after SC, muck up photos, nicknames on jerseys etc). A lot of the stuff she does is very unreasonable and ultra-conservative.
For example, we never receive our ranks in individual assessments but every other school does this (they say we're not allowed to access ranks because of some random DET/BOS rule...wtf??) and perhaps a more extreme example is that you're not allowed to wear visible undergarments with school uniform. In other words you get punished the same way as not wearing uniform, if you wear a shirt/singlet underneath school uniform and this shirt/singlet is visible (even barely).

I do believe that she is the reason that a lot of the good teachers (and students) fled the school as well. I recently heard a rumour that a teacher who left the school was considering suing her...lol

If it wasn't for Coombes, Sefton would otherwise be an alright school to go to...

Oh and btw the majority view is that Sefton is a crap school (based on graduates from the school). I don't know where you guys are getting your information from, perhaps you haven't experienced the opression in senior years....lol have fun!...:p

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Sefton is good if you're dedicated. Personally I think that those who do well don't have so much of a bad opinion of the school, while those who do not-so-well look for scapegoats, and the school in itself comes to the forefront of their minds obviously. This is just a generalisation that I've concluded.

Yup, go figure.

Also, I find the assertions that our principal was/is some evil tyrant... Come on people. I had a talk with one of the teachers at Sefton and they said that though they disagreed with some of her policies, many of them were actually good for our school. As for those who think that all the good teachers decided to throw away their backbones and left because of the principal... can you give some examples? Most teachers have left either for better posts elsewhere or for health reasons, and it strikes me as extremely dubious to suggest that they decided to leave because they were sick of the administration - after all, most of the teachers since I first entered Sefton are still there. As for the whole "no visible undergarments" thing - who cares? Seriously? Did it really affect students that much? And the no year 12 concert rule? We have class of 2006 to blame for that... >_>, who just compounded whatever had happened in previous years.

In terms of the ranking system, it was put in place to preserve the motivation of those who may not have been doing so well. After all, rankings only truly benefit those on top who get a kick out of seeing their ranks on a piece of paper. You get your ranks in the end at any rate, so it truly does not matter. Given the new system, you're given a fair indication of your rank and where you sit. My year advisor wholeheartedly agreed with the school's policy regarding this issue.

P.S. Sefton is good for maths, history and to a smaller degree, biology and physics. The rest, not so much but you'll always find some exceptional results from teachers such as Ms Levick, who guided all her extension two English students (though only four) to top bands last year (48, 48, 47, 47).

P.P.S You will find some exceptional teachers at Sefton. Personally, my maths teacher (Ms Khattar) and history teacher (Mr Federico) were extremely good and talented at their jobs.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Sefton is good if you're dedicated. Personally I think that those who do well don't have so much of a bad opinion of the school, while those who do not-so-well look for scapegoats, and the school in itself comes to the forefront of their minds obviously. This is just a generalisation that I've concluded.
Well here's something to think about...most people who got UAIs above 95 believed the school is crap. This is coming from Class of 04 all the way up to 07. Even the dux of Class of 04 fully dissed Sefton on these forums as well.
Zephyrio said:
Also, I find the assertions that our principal was/is some evil tyrant... Come on people. I had a talk with one of the teachers at Sefton and they said that though they disagreed with some of her policies, many of them were actually good for our school.
That's because the teachers who decide to STAY make themselves believe in that because they can't exactly criticise the principal in front of students....Most students, parents and even a couple teachers in the school (who say it in the most sugarcoated tone lol) believe the policies are far too conservative compared to other schools and that they should be relaxed.
Zephyrio said:
As for those who think that all the good teachers decided to throw away their backbones and left because of the principal... can you give some examples?Most teachers have left either for better posts elsewhere or for health reasons, and it strikes me as extremely dubious to suggest that they decided to leave because they were sick of the administration - after all, most of the teachers since I first entered Sefton are still there.
I won't give names just in case, but according to people within the school, one of the senior admin staff left the school (after just 2 years) due to an enormous amount of "pressure" placed on him by Coombes. A physics teacher who left the school in 03 was the teacher in question who supposedly considered suing the principal.
Zephyrio said:
As for the whole "no visible undergarments" thing - who cares? Seriously? Did it really affect students that much? And the no year 12 concert rule? We have class of 2006 to blame for that... >_>, who just compounded whatever had happened in previous years.
It certainly did affect some students (though I wasn't one of them). Don't be so ignorant of ridiculous rules just because you weren't involved in it. As for the Year 12 concert, yes we do take some responsibility for that, BUT it was the principal's decision to ban it and not give future students a chance for redemption. The fact still stands, regardless of who is to blame, that the principal removed a lot of the good stuff that used to be in the school.
There's no point looking the other way. The school was a much better place before Coombes came in...
Zephyrio said:
In terms of the ranking system, it was put in place to preserve the motivation of those who may not have been doing so well. After all, rankings only truly benefit those on top who get a kick out of seeing their ranks on a piece of paper. You get your ranks in the end at any rate, so it truly does not matter. Given the new system, you're given a fair indication of your rank and where you sit. My year advisor wholeheartedly agreed with the school's policy regarding this issue.
Yes, but parents (and students) do want to know how students are faring in the duration of the school period, not after. We have the right for freedom of information. It is highly unfair that other schools can provide that information whilst the ultra-conservative Sefton does not. The "preserve motivation of those who may not have been doing so well" does not make sense. If someone is not doing well, not having that ranking information will give a false illusion that they are doing fine and reduce motivation to some extent. Marks are not a good indicator either, because of inconsistent marking schemes between assessments. Refusing to give information of rankings is nothing short of censorship.
Zephyrio said:
P.P.S You will find some exceptional teachers at Sefton. Personally, my maths teacher (Ms Khattar) and history teacher (Mr Federico) were extremely good and talented at their jobs.
To end on a more positive note, there are much better Maths teachers than Khattar. I had her for a term in Year 11, and I found she rushed the material a lot without much room to understand to material (and her handwriting...oh god!). Don't get me wrong, she is a great teacher but Ms Dike and Ms Milledge are much better (I daresay the best in the faculty), they encourage appreciation and understanding of the concepts and where they come from, not to mention that they encourage people to challenge themselves...lol :p

Last edited:
HSC
Oh my god. poor you! Bankstown Girls, Wiley Park girls, EAST HILLS GIRLS are the WORST SCHOOLS

seriously, what are you doing? if you want to take school seriously, change into some catholic school out of the inner west.
Seriously, schools around bankstowns are probably the worst schools in NSW.
If you can't afford a catholic/ private school
you should try

Beverly Hills Girls High School.
The teaching ethics are pretty good, so are the students. It's not that bad, check it up

Zephyrio

HSC
Trebla said:

[FONT=&quot]Well here's something to think about...most people who got UAIs above 95 believed the school is crap. This is coming from Class of 04 all the way up to 07. Even the dux of Class of 04 fully dissed Sefton on these forums as well.

[FONT=&quot]Well, this is coming from personal experience but students all tend to diss the school they come from – to look for their school’s shortcomings, how “crap” it is, etc., so it is not exactly surprising that alumni would focus on the negativity of the school rather than its beneficial aspects. The 2006 yearbook was extremely negative, and at one point we were thinking when they would say something nice about the place that they should hold a bit more respect for. Also, unless you can flash out some evidence attesting to the fact that “most people who got UAIs above 95 believed that school is crap”, I’m afraid I can’t comment. Plenty of my friends like Sefton, even with all its shortcomings. (Also, I could bring up the school captain of 2005, 2004, etc who think that Sefton was awesome - see, anyone can bring up people and then use them to represent all those who have passed through the gates of the school.) When you decide not to nitpick at every thing the school does that you are not in agreement with, Sefton becomes a better place. Call it post-HSC nostalgia, but I choose to believe that Sefton has fostered some amazing friendships and relationships – and you’ll find that even though we might not like all the policies put in place, we do accept the rationale behind them.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]That's because the teachers who decide to STAY make themselves believe in that because they can't exactly criticise the principal in front of students....Most students, parents and even a couple teachers in the school (who say it in the most sugarcoated tone lol) believe the policies are far too conservative compared to other schools and that they should be relaxed.
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
[/FONT]
[/FONT] This is a ridiculous assertion. A very well respected teacher, often regarded as the best teacher in the darn school believes that Coombes ought to be respected for the policies she has implemented. He added that in this world you wouldn’t agree with everyone someone else had to say, and so be it. Until I left Sefton for another school, I hadn’t appreciated all the good that it has. Given another chance, I wouldn’t have considered leaving at all (which indicated that I was rather disillusioned with the whole administration and its hardline stance on issues I thought deserved more consideration).

I will concede that many of the policies are indeed conservative, and yes they should be relaxed but when does Coombes ever get praised for all the good she has imparted into the school – most of which does not reach public consciousness? It’s much easier to focus on the negative rather than the positive.

[FONT=&quot]I won't give names just in case, but according to people within the school, one of the senior admin staff left the school (after just 2 years) due to an enormous amount of "pressure" placed on him by Coombes. A physics teacher who left the school in 03 was the teacher in question who supposedly considered suing the principal.
[FONT=&quot]Hearsay. These stories always crop up to discredit the executives. Unless there is some evidence to back it up, I won’t believe it. Gossip stories like these come up all the time – and since when should the opinions of a few teachers suddenly represent the whole teacher body at our school? Even if one teacher was at odds with the principal – to the extent where the matter was considered to have been worthy of being heard at a court – does this mean that all teachers have similar issues? Why do teachers even bother then?
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It certainly did affect some students (though I wasn't one of them). Don't be so ignorant of ridiculous rules just because you weren't involved in it. As for the Year 12 concert, yes we do take some responsibility for that, BUT it was the principal's decision to ban it and not give future students a chance for redemption. The fact still stands, regardless of who is to blame, that the principal removed a lot of the good stuff that used to be in the school.
There's no point looking the other way. The school was a much better place before Coombes came in...
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Once again I shall reiterate the fact that I don’t think that Sefton is this perfect place. I don’t. I think you’re making a big issue out of nothing – to not have undergarments visible is a perfectly viable rule. In fact, it’s a rule at many schools. I don’t want to see people’s underwear or whatever sticking out, and because such a small minority of people were affected by the rule, it’s basically a cheap shot at the administration. In the words of that dude on Thank God You’re Here, “Do you want to change into something more comfortable?” Are we going to be petty about such a minor rule? How many people actually want to display their undergarments anyway?

In regards to the year 12 concert, we handed in a proposal for one to proceed but that was knocked back. The principal then, in what was considered quite an unprecedented move, suggested that we have a “Year 12 week” where year 12’s were allowed to set up candy stores, sausage sizzles, games and assemblies involving acts throughout the whole week. The loss of the year 12 concert was lamented but it was replaced with something that was enjoyable for most students, and lasted for far longer than a two hour long show. Do you blame the principal for fearing that the school’s reputation would be soiled by the actions of a select few who decided that it would be a good idea to go onto youtube and post some of the most racist, blatantly inappropriate things? You should be more balanced in your assessment of this issue and recognise the enormous pressure placed on the administration by parents who did not want their children to the load of bull that have come out in year 12 concerts. The decisions to ban the Sefton Journal and the year 12 concert does not just magically materialise in the mind of our former principal: my English teacher told me that many parents took offense to some of the content of both things, and that the decision to ban them were due to parental pressure. And going by your comments that ranks should be made available for parents who want them, why should the parents be considered in that instance and not regarding the year 12 concert?

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Yes, but parents (and students) do want to know how students are faring in the duration of the school period, not after. We have the right for freedom of information. It is highly unfair that other schools can provide that information whilst the ultra-conservative Sefton does not. The "preserve motivation of those who may not have been doing so well" does not make sense. If someone is not doing well, not having that ranking information will give a false illusion that they are doing fine and reduce motivation to some extent. Marks are not a good indicator either, because of inconsistent marking schemes between assessments. Refusing to give information of rankings is nothing short of censorship.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Point taken. I still believe that ranking or no ranking, it doesn’t really matter. You ranked highly in your subjects so for you it wasn’t so much of an issue. For some of my friends, knowing their ranks would have been devastating. Again, it’s not to much of a huge deal when you consider that you get your rankings anyway. To condemn this issue to the level of “censorship” – as if the school is on par with that of political bureaucracy – is just blowing things out of proportion. You get your relative position nowadays – given bands A B C D E – and how many students are placed within them – so there is a fair indication of where the student sits in any case. But of course, this has gone unnoticed, or rather, unappreciated by most students.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]To end on a more positive note, there are much better Maths teachers than Khattar. I had her for a term in Year 11, and I found she rushed the material a lot without much room to understand to material (and her handwriting...oh god!). Don't get me wrong, she is a great teacher but Ms Dike and Ms Milledge are much better (I daresay the best in the faculty), they encourage appreciation and understanding of the concepts and where they come from, not to mention that they encourage people to challenge themselves...lol
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I prefer Khattar because her classes are more engaging than Dike’s. Her handwriting is shocking but it’s got that endearing quality I’ll never quite forget. As for Milledge, I’ve never had her in maths but I have heard that she is an excellent teacher.

To conclude: I see Sefton as an essentially wonderful place with many flaws, which are to be expected from any school you choose to visit anywhere in the world. It’s not a perfect place, but it’s a place where the good outweigh the bad (else you wouldn’t be producing so many quality students and humans). The bad receives more press, of course; just look at the constant criticism of George Bush without weighing in the good that he has done. Try looking for both sides before reaching a conclusion.

He, like Sefton, is not a perfect man. And we shouldn’t expect him to be, either.

lilgarygame

HSC
N/A
Guys, stop attacking Angela
she has never backstabbed me, I LOVE HER
we do everything together, plus we are wearing matching dresses for the formal, i believe we will look splendid together
Sefton is a good school, thats why im staying, and all the other students love me for doing that

SanctusSameer

HSC
Contrary to the popular belief that Ms Hang and/or lilgarygame are the closest companions of nerdsforever, I will announce that nerdsforever is mine. MINE SHES GOING TO THE FORMAL WITH ME. I CALL DIBS ON HER. YUM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)