School withholding ranks? (1 Viewer)

MolestLawzy

HSC
We completed our CSSA trials two weeks ago, have our exams back etc but my school is refusing to release our final ranks and marks on the grounds that it's "school tradition" to tell us at the end of year graduation in 6 weeks time. The only time we've recieved our rank all year was at our mid-semester report. We even have a report night this Monday and we're getting our "trial mark ranks", like WTF, how is that useful.

Anyways, can the school do this?

einstein

HSC
nice name molest lawzy hahahahahahah...BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH......also i concur....FUCKEN MARIST

HSC
but can't you determine your final mark (not the rank) yourself?

like check out how much each assessment/exam was worth, then check your mark for those exams/assessments.

easy :/

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Hey, count yourselves lucky. Our school doesn't seem to realise that ranks are actually important, so at no point during the year are our ranks released to us. Those of us with half a clue about the HSC have to make guesses as to where we're at and who's in front of us. Then again, we are only the second HSC cohort to go through...

Answering the actual question, I suppose that your school can withhold ranks from you if they really want to. I don't think ranks are, like, a fundamental student right or anything.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
MolestLawzy said:
We completed our CSSA trials two weeks ago, have our exams back etc but my school is refusing to release our final ranks and marks on the grounds that it's "school tradition" to tell us at the end of year graduation in 6 weeks time. The only time we've recieved our rank all year was at our mid-semester report. We even have a report night this Monday and we're getting our "trial mark ranks", like WTF, how is that useful.

Anyways, can the school do this?
That's the same as our school. We only get a report telling us our trial marks, rank and a few comments, which is kind of useless. We end up getting it when the BOS releases it on the website.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Tell them to give them your ranks. It may not be a "fundamental student right", but it still isn't fair. That has probably/maybe disadvantaged you the whole time. Alot of students in my grade used the ranks to motivate them. Like if someone knew they were ranked 5th, they would work harder to get into the top 3 kinda thing. That is just not fair. Demand them, I don't think it's a "fundamental school's right" to with-hold the ranks.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Consider yourselves lucky, at least you get your trial ranks. At my school, we NEVER EVER get any ranks for any assessment and we are NOT allowed to ask the teachers for them. Either way, the teacher doesn't even know it him/herself.
We are only given grade averages as a basis of guestimation. The only exception to that rule is when applying for Co-op scholarships where they are required. What makes it particularly worse for my school is the fact that its a selective school and many top selective people thrive on competition, while ironically, the school is discouraging any vicious competition.....:(

sandz_2

HSC
yea our school isn't telling us our cumilative rank because they want to go over and double/triple check the marks entered. In some subjects, they gave us the rank for our trial exams so you can kinda tell how u went to the rest of the class.. although we did get our final ranks for chem and bio:)

wce06

HSC
how strange...at our school every department posts the entire rankings up after every assessment, with each individual mark for every assessment and current rank - basically so that a) we know where we are, b) we can check if marks have been entered incorrectly..

scotty138

HSC
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! i absolutely could not handle that. My school is pretty small, and we know every little possible mark/rank anything. As far as i knew, and it is funny that i saw this thread today, because i was just talking to one of my teachers about this a few hours ago. why the board of studies instructs teachers not to disclose raw assessment marks to students is because the school is actually allowed to "doctor" the final marks BUT NOT the ranking positions. So for example, if student A was on a final RAW mark of 95, and then B, C, D were on 79,78,76 etc, then the school could change the raw mark of student A to 80. 'A' would still be first, they would still get the same moderated assessment mark (which would be the highest mark of the group). It just means that because A was so far ahead of the rest of the group, B,C,D would be "pushed down" because the % gap between the raw marks must also be maintained when the moderated assessment marks are calculated. So when the school doctors the marks everybody ends up with better mod. assess. marks and thus a better final HSC mark. AS FOR THE RANKINGS! that is retarded. You are allowed to know your rankings and i think that is a right, the school is just not allowed to issue your raw marks (which you can work out anyway). Because i have a lot of small classes, we just get together and plug the numbers into the calculator. That way we know who is who and how far they are in front and what marks we need to get to go in front. It seriously is the motivating factor when doing assessments. We also get told all of our marks that we get for assessments and exams, and we get updates of our new ranks from our teachers after each assessment. I think it is extremely important and you should not rest until they tell you!! When it is 3am and i have an assessment due a few hours later that is the only thing fuelling me to keep typing.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Although it seems that many schools are issuing ranks at this time (and my school has instructed the teachers to do so) I would like to point out that in many syllabi and the Rules and Procedures for the 2006 HSC Section 22 (i) the BOS says that students shouldn't be receiving their ranks until after the final HSC examination has been completed.

Assessment marks shouldn't be given at any time (particularly as they are moderated so much by the exam), that is the final raw assessment mark - however any basic mathematician out there should be able to work out the raw mark. Teacher can alter the marks but not the ranks or the gaps - if a teacher believes that everyone in a class did exceptionally badly or well on a task they may adjust the marks accordingly.

lala2

Banned
HSC
That sucks. I guess it's worse than not having your UAI predicted. Yes, we got our final ranks, as well as ranks for each individual assessment, but we all went onto BOS to check our ranks just in case there was a computing error. Try and squeeze your ranking out of them, if nothing else. If they don't, all the more reason not to rely on your rank, and instead to ace the external.

MolestLawzy

HSC
*Love-2-Hate-U* said:

like check out how much each assessment/exam was worth, then check your mark for those exams/assessments.

Please, never enter this topic again. Do not reply to this post. A brick is smarter than you.

Anywho, I like hearing all your stories about how you got your ranks, but can anyone actually help me get mine kk? My jealousy meter is rising, as is my go-columbine-on-that-ass meter

ane_st

HSC
*Love-2-Hate-U* said:

thats what ive done for all of my subjects in order to find out my marks etc.

not to sure about ranks

JhK89

HSC
yeh i heard from my teacher that even if they give ur ranks now (most schools will not have ne more assessments) the ranks will illegal. I think the BOS says they're meant to release it the time w/e u said

Raginsheep

HSC
bs........my school released the marks after every major assesment or you could easily find out.

MolestLawzy

HSC
Notice how my post revolves around obtaining RANK, not mark, even though I do mention it once. Therefore, finding out my aggregate mark is pretty useless. And finding out the whole subject's marks and determining ranks that way..nah I got a HSC to study for.

Bleh.

Discussion, continue

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
MolestLawzy said:
Notice how my post revolves around obtaining RANK, not mark, even though I do mention it once. Therefore, finding out my aggregate mark is pretty useless. And finding out the whole subject's marks and determining ranks that way..nah I got a HSC to study for.

Bleh.

Discussion, continue
yeh at our school it depends on the subject. For Maths the teacher always tells us what rank we got in every assessment; same for bio. But for english, history and legal you have to specifically ask, and sometimes they dont even know unless you came first. But on our half yearly report we had our rank for both the exam and our overall assessment mark, and i think all the teachers are going to be telling us our ranks at the end of the week. Im nervous...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)