!!! SCHOOL vs MARKZ (post here) (1 Viewer)

!!!!!!!! ur TOP subject

• Histori

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Geoooo

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Eng

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Maths

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
Mmm i don't really understand whether, (or to want extent) my embarrassment should lay....i go to Melville High School. I don't suspect that you would have heard of it.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
"if you value ... b) your sanity"
I've already lost it in the 4 years of high school I've done so far. You are probably right that it's not going to be very good for my social life but I enjoy the subjects, and I think it's better to have the option to drop a subject later.

If someone in JR can do 25, surely I can try 13. :p

I heard 4U English was a really heavy workload from other people- what's your take on it glycerine? Thanks.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
haha no...

don't worry... i grewup in campbelltown... mymother taught at sarah redfern; i went to leumeah... i do know about crappy gov schools:)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
fi_babezy: Noone should feel bad about their school- if you go to a hole, it's a testament to your talent if you do well. ;)

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
lol, "testament to talent", actually it's really a testament to your sanity in a way.

Hey estel u are taking the same sub's as myself, ah minus the ext 2 units and history (ewhhh and add in art). i think the ext. 2 for his and eng would be cool: provided you are able to establish major projets well. Though i think you also need to leave time for doing "other" stuff, because community involvement (leadership, charity) also equates into your acceptance into uni's does it not?
Plus do you play any sports?

HSC
i'm not taking any extensions but if i decide to change to modern history during the first three or so weeks, i might consider the extension course in year 12.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Fi: Extracirricular activities are needed for university scholarships/medicine degrees, that's all really.

I don't play any sports but I'm involved in things like debating/public speaking and I love playing the piano. I hope to be Treasurer/Head Prefect. I'm also joining the school journal publication team and Duke of Edinburgh... that way I don't have to be totally blank when I'm in an interview. :) I think where there's a will there's a way, and if there's not enough time, I'll make it. (I'm already showing what Glycerine would describe as the loss of sanity, or maybe i'm just naive).

Freakstar: why no extensions at all? Extension subjects are your opportunity to challenge yourself and be rewarded (so I hear).

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
BTW anyone doing music here? I wanted to but there was no class in my school. I would've enjoyed the (de)composition elective. :)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
my take on 4U english is... welll.... i LOVE english and it's always been my best subject but right now i resent it like hell... i think that's just cause i'm *technically* finished, but i still have an assessment tomorrow...

but i would reccommend it if you really -love- english... it is tough though and youneed to do a fuckload of reading and notetaking, every day. if i were you, i would drop at least one extension, because even though it's true that where there's a will there's a way... it's just putting extra stress on yourself when you don't need it. of course, like you said, you can always use to drop them... and you still have yr 11 to help influence whether you want to go thru with your subject plan or not :)

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
lol, I do debating and public speaking also...mmm do you use the yardstick, scope model?? (have been wondering about this style)
Am starting duke of edinburgh- hey where are you doing your expedition?
Hockey, umpiring, karate got to love these!
Am going for medicine scholarships (lol, don't want to rule out possibilites, since i'm not completely sure what i wish to do )

Isn't like if you do extensions but don't go well in them they drag down your UAI mark.

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Yup, thank goodness I have a year to decide. If I had to drop an extension I'd probably kill History... the suspense of the HSC... can't wait 'till Yr 11/12! :) I made my subject plan so I could sort of see where I'd allocate study next year, and all the timetables and everything... I wonder if I can actually follow it for more than 3 days.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
"Isn't like if you do extensions but don't go well in them they drag down your UAI mark." Same as any subject.

"lol, I do debating and public speaking also...mmm do you use the yardstick, scope model?? (have been wondering about this style)"
In the Junior State Debating Championships, I lost count of how many times I said "burden of proof", "yardstick" and "scope". :p
Adjudicators value these ideas greatly now, and it's a pity manner is worth nothing. But essentially, debating is still the same, just scope is such a nice way to describe the restrictions you're setting on the debate. :)

Duke of Ed: no idea, I plan to join beginning of next year hoperfully so I'll find out first week of next year.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
bah, burden of proof....legal tech. lol

Never thought of applying that one!Will do this next yr! On a balance of probabilities......beyond reasonable doubt!!!!! good thinking estel

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I just used burden of proof because it was the 'in' thing. :p 2003 will be remembered as the debating year of the yardstick and burden of proof. :)

Wonder what other people will come up with next year.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Yes... and we got thrashed!!!
After that we gave burden of proof a go; after you've lost one you have nothing to lose.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I admit shocking overconfidence... bordering on arrogance... ah well. I've gone a long way since then, that's for sure. :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
That was the first time I'd debated under the new debating rules... we didn't understand the criteria. You're debating in terms of matter was actually much more substansial than our's... we failed to use a model where it would've been appropriate. We were relying on 'method' to win... which didn't work. You guys (girls, actually) did a much better job I think than you seemed to realise. :p

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I hope your school enters Legacy; we're ready this time. :p :D
[/arrogance]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)