School References (1 Viewer)

yummy-cookies

HSC
My school is in the process of organising references for us (so people that want to apply for things like scholarships and cadetships can start now). we were given a sheet to fill out where we had to list out all our academic, leadership, sporting and community acheivements/involvement
its actually depressing me quite a bit, since filling out that sheet has made me realise how little on paper i have to show of 6 years of high school. i have distinguished myself in any fields at school - i've had no leadership roles, been too athletically challenged to be accepted in any sporting teams and been only an average student.

how much influence will a school reference have on your future career prospects? because of my lack of participation/acheivement, am i at a huge disadvantage? and are any other poeple like me with absoluely nothing to show for?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
My school is in the process of organising references for us (so people that want to apply for things like scholarships and cadetships can start now). we were given a sheet to fill out where we had to list out all our academic, leadership, sporting and community acheivements/involvement
its actually depressing me quite a bit, since filling out that sheet has made me realise how little on paper i have to show of 6 years of high school. i have distinguished myself in any fields at school - i've had no leadership roles, been too athletically challenged to be accepted in any sporting teams and been only an average student.

how much influence will a school reference have on your future career prospects? because of my lack of participation/acheivement, am i at a huge disadvantage? and are any other poeple like me with absoluely nothing to show for?
It really depends what you're applying for. If you're focus is a cadetship, then you are kinda screwed because they like to focus on leadership and community service aspects.

For anything else, you should be fine.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Ah yes. School references.
I filled out that damn piece of paper, and they didn't include half of what I said in my reference anyway. *sigh*

Have you helped out at any school events? Like being an usher for concerts/performance evenings, open days, having a younger student as a 'buddy' etc?
There are always little things that can be included which show initiative, in my opinion.

EDIT: And at the end of the day, the reference doesn't really count for much, unless you are dead set on going straight into the workforce after HSC with no personal references/prior work experiences, or gunning for a competitie cadetship.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
u can just bullshit most of it cant you?

except for the ones that will make a difference ie

99+ uai estimate
state sports
prefect/etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)