• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Prayer (1 Viewer)

School Prayer.

• Yay

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 37 74.0%

• Total voters

malkin86

HSC
Maybe the issue of school prayer needs to be standardised between schools?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I can't believe there are actually people here who believe that prayer should be mandatory even for those who don't believe in the fucking religion.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Mandatory Prayer in Public Schools-No
In Catholic Schools-Yes (You pay for it)
Scripture-Yes (you dont have to do it if you dont want to)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
I don't believe religion has any place in any school, excpet religious schools, in which case you should know when you're children are enrolled there it is part of the curiculam(sp?)
Religion is deeply personal, and if someone chooses to go to the library or whatever and pray that is fine, but that should be a personal choice made by the student. I personally hated scripture classes at school, eventully my mother wrote me a note saying I didn't have to attend. I don't believe that I should need a note from my parent before I am allowed to not attend a religious class. NO ONE should ever have to have anythign to do with any religion unless they want to. The fact that Australia is mainly catholic is completly irrelevant, that doesn't mean everyone is, and even if that were the case i'd still be against it.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
i take the prayer of atheism - praying that all those praying will stop praying *silence*

i advocate the secular education like what is offered in France. ban the headscarf, cross or turban!

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
i agree with spiny...a prayer is stupid. there's bound to be other religions other than just christianity.

K

katie_tully

we have a school song
i got vice captain the other day, and at assembly my captain and i were supposed to initiate the singing of the school song....only, i know the first line and the last line so it went something like
to tullamore a central school
something something something something
BY GODS SHINING LIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

K

katie_tully

Sweets said:
'Religion in a public school?' ;)
dont laugh
i go to a public school and its more catholic orientated than any catholic school i know
my principle is a loud mouth, opinionated woman of the christian faith.
we have scripture for 7-10, and k-6...apparently 7-10 scripture is compulsary but the nerd lingers in 7-10 havent caught onto the fct that the teachers r pissing in their ears.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I don't see why any public school, especially a public high school, should have the word "god" in its school song. If it does, then the students should refuse to perform it, and demand it be changed.

K

katie_tully

they call me Miss Agnostic at school, because I am vocal against forced religion,

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
They called me a troublemaker at school, because I was vocal against religion at our school. I once told off an ISCF person (not a student, but some lady they bring in every week) for posting her christian propaganda all over our school, and that her vandalism of our school with posters and stuff was not wanted and not appreciated by the non-christians at our school. I got a nice long lecture by the Deputy about "tolerance" after that. BTW, tolerance is bullshit, especially tolerance Of bullshit.

I think I had a good point. At my school, atheists and agnostics, and students of non-christian faith made up the majority of the enrolment, and non-scripture classes in high school were always packed. None of us appreciated the propaganda levelled at the student body, because it wasn't just "ISCF meeting room 41 at lunch", but propaganda levelled at the non-christians.

K

katie_tully

In year 9 I got kicked out of scripture. I left in year 10, went to another school, but came back here in year 11. It appears my reputation surpasses me. Teachers here who hadn't met me, knew of my reputation. I was vocal against the supposedly "compulsary" school Christmas service, which is where I got my Agnostic tag from.
I took offence to that. Normally I don't take offence to anything, but I'm getting granded agnostic because I don't believe teenagers in a public school should be told they have to participate in religious activities.

K

katie_tully

We had a Christian group at school, at lunch, for those who wanted it. At the larger high school I went to, religion was never forced. Only in this smaller school with psychotic, egotistical morons.

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
I don't believe prayer should be forced on people in public schools.
As a christian I don't believe that forced prayer does any good- what's the point in prayer if you don't mean it?
In a christian school or such i think it's fair enough, and even then we aren't forced to pray. In assemblies we're asked to bow our heads and close our eyes and those who don't want to pray simply don't do it.
As for religious education in schools, I'm biased: I teach religion to a K/1 class, but I still don't think it should be forced, if the child's family is of a different religious background. In high school, most kids are finding their own religious feet, which means that sometimes, the child of religious parents often refuse to sign the opt out sheet even if the child doesn't want to attend. My religion things weren't too unbearable, and these took place before I was a christian. It wasn't bible bashing, it was ghroup activities and talking about loving eachother and the rest of that. I believe we should be able to opt out of it if we want to, have the opportunity for other religious education groups to come in if there's a significant desire for them, and actually have something to do if we opt out of it, as opposed to sitting in a classroom for the hour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)