School Leavers Scholarships (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
"All applicants, successful or otherwise, will be notified by the end of January."
There's still hope.... lol

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
jenecis said:
Just out of curiosity - why?
Sydney
  • save $3 per day in bus fares
  • save an hour a day on the bus
  • Australia's first and most prestigious law school
  • better prospects for a future career in the judiciary
  • Australia's leading business school
  • more active campus life, including clubs and societies
  • more active Liberal Club
  • fewer international students who can't speak English

jenecis

HSC
Sydney
  • save $3 per day in bus fares - Agree
  • save an hour a day on the bus - Agree
  • Australia's first and most prestigious law school - Agree
  • better prospects for a future career in the judiciary - No idea.
  • Australia's leading business school - Er, actually that would be UNSW or University of Melbourne. UNSW did mention this in its open day.
  • more active campus life, including clubs and societies - Subjective. No definitive conclusion.
  • more active Liberal Club -Sure, if you're into that kind of thing. Again, subjective.
  • fewer international students who can't speak English - USyd: 4626 international undergraduate students. UNSW: 4234 international undergraduate students. Taking into consideration the different sizes of the 2 unis, the proportion of international students are the same, give or take 0.001%. Then again, who cares?
So ... dunno. I'm still deciding between Usyd and UNSW.

danz90

HSC
Has everyone that got shortlisted been offered a scholarship yet? If so, from which faculty? And when did you receive the letter?

danz90

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
still no letter danz?
Nope :(

Can't really expect a letter these days anyway... the Uni is closed till 2nd Jan, according to ssglain.

If there is no letter by 6th/7th Jan, I will call and confirm with the faculty that there is no scholarship for me. Because, from what I've heard.. you have to notify the faculty of whether you accept or decline the offer, by 8th Jan.

My only hope maybe is that my letter was mixed in with some other batches, or the ones that they send out for non-HSC candidates. Or maybe Pharm faculty sends Merit Scholarship offers later on... but that is quite unlikely the case.

:(

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
Nope :(

Can't really expect a letter these days anyway... the Uni is closed till 2nd Jan, according to ssglain.

If there is no letter by 6th/7th Jan, I will call and confirm with the faculty that there is no scholarship for me. Because, from what I've heard.. you have to notify the faculty of whether you accept or decline the offer, by 8th Jan.

My only hope maybe is that my letter was mixed in with some other batches, or the ones that they send out for non-HSC candidates. Or maybe Pharm faculty sends Merit Scholarship offers later on... but that is quite unlikely the case.

:(
on my letter it says sent thew form back by friday, 9th January [faculty of business and eco]

and yeh, i wont be accepting, so why i think they say 'by the end of january' is because they might offer declined schoalrships to other shortlisted people after this date

danz90

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
on my letter it says sent thew form back by friday, 9th January [faculty of business and eco]

and yeh, i wont be accepting, so why i think they say 'by the end of january' is because they might offer declined schoalrships to other shortlisted people after this date
Well, no one thats offered one from Pharm faculty will decline, because no other uni in Sydney offers Pharmacy.

I guess a rejection letter is coming my way sometime soon.... :(

Miss Winey

HSC
adnan91 said:
Engineering: Rejected. I really thought i had a chance my ranks were only 1sts and 2nd's and i had heaps of sports leader crap. Was upset but its ok, i hate how they say ur application was of very high standard but..

then again i was applying for a scholarships only 3 ppl would get :(

I think i know wat the problem was, if u were rejected tell me this also, its our preferences. Mine all top 3 were at usyd so maybe they said he'll def go to usyd lets see someone else may or may not go to usyd and has good ranks.
Hey adnan91,
Sorry you didn't get shortlisted for a usyd scholarship.
This is not going to make you feel better, but your thesis on why you didn't a scholarship is probably completely false. The faculty gets HEAPS and HEAPS of entries every year, and considering Sydney Uni has the highest UAI's for engineering, it is really hard to get shortlisted.

This will make you feel better, and that is, there are ALOT more engineering scholarships available as you study!
Many engineering companies give out scholarships in your 2nd, 3rd and even 4th year. They also come with free summer work experience, and maybe even a paid thesis!
so stay tuned and look out for those!

Miss Winey

HSC
sophieisticated said:
I got an email yesterday saying i've been "shortlisted" for two scholarships at engineering, although I have to do an interview.

I was wondering if anyone's done an interview before and could shed some light on general tips for the interview or what questions they might ask?

Also, what my chances are like for an RTA scholarship if I want to do a combined degree?
Hey sophieisticated,
Congratulations on getting shortlisted!
I was shortlisted for 3 scholarships and was offered 2 ( at different institutions!!)
Here are my tips for scholarship interviews:

1. be yourself - don't try to be someone you are not. When i went, i just wore what i normally wore as a student, and i spoke in the way i normally spoke. I didn't try to burden myself with using fancy words or anything like that.
I think scholarship interviews are different from job interviews, people don't expect you to be adults, you're a student. so just be one

2. be happy :) smile! - there is nothing working in a corporate job, listening to heaps and heaps of scholarship applicants all walking in like a nervous wreck.
If you've got a smile on your face and a spring in your step, you are going to get bonus point before you even sit down!

3. TALK - sometimes we get so nervous we give really lame one word/sentence answers. sometimes they sound memorised. The point of the interview is for let them KNOW YOU. so TALK! I think one of the biggest let down for engineers and sometime boys in general is the lack of ability verbal communication (in comparrison to girls who never stop talking really). My brother-in-law recieved a UAI of 98.9 was shortlisted for 2 scholarships and failed BIG TIME at the interview. He just doesn't talk.
My school friend who got a UAI of 89.5. got offered 2 scholarships! she does worthwhile stuff and talks about it!

4. Draw from YOUR EXPERIENCES - scholarship people know LOTS of people put HEAPS of stuff down in the applications that they may not have done or have only played a minor role. The only way to single you out of the crowd is to actually tell of your EXPERIENCES.
If you did student leadership - what went wrong? how did you deal with it?
If you did volunteer work - who did you meet? how did they affect your life? what was new/different about the experience that you learnt?

5. Be passionate and actually sound like you want this - Even if you are straddling deciding what you want to do with your life, try to be passionate that you actually want this scholarship! it will make a MAJOR difference.

Here are some typical questions you might get asked
a) so, why do you want to be a ...blahblah? (be passionate about this one)
b) who is someone you admire and why?
c) what has been the most difficult struggle in your life so far? and how did you cope with it (don't say "this interview")
d) where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 20, 30 years time?
e) in this (bad situation) what would you do? (draw from your past experiences for this one)

Good luck!
and email me if you have anymore questions or you want to hear more specific stories from my experiences!

maz5

HSC
I got a Merit Scholarship from the Arts Faculty.

They said hundreds applied and 10 were chosen. I didn't even know I was short listed. I just sent in the application form and on the 17th I got a letter saying I got it.

However, then I realised I still needed over 95, and I thought I wouldn't get it, considering my HSC marks. Then on that Thursday morning when I read I got 95.2, I was ECSTATIC!!

I don't have to attend an interview now, do I?
On the letter they just said I have to accept it by a certain time and give them my bank details.

For all those who didn't get one, there is still hope because if people don't accept them in time, they will offer it to another.

danz90

HSC
maz5 said:
I got a Merit Scholarship from the Arts Faculty.

They said hundreds applied and 10 were chosen. I didn't even know I was short listed. I just sent in the application form and on the 17th I got a letter saying I got it.

However, then I realised I still needed over 95, and I thought I wouldn't get it, considering my HSC marks. Then on that Thursday morning when I read I got 95.2, I was ECSTATIC!!

I don't have to attend an interview now, do I?
On the letter they just said I have to accept it by a certain time and give them my bank details.

For all those who didn't get one, there is still hope because if people don't accept them in time, they will offer it to another.
Wow.. Congratulations! You must be so happy.

I still haven't gotten any letter (after the letter that said I was shortlisted) from the Pharmacy faculty.. and might email them to check.

maz5

HSC
danz90 said:
Wow.. Congratulations! You must be so happy.

I still haven't gotten any letter (after the letter that said I was shortlisted) from the Pharmacy faculty.. and might email them to check.
There is still hope, I have to contact the Scholarships office within the next few weeks, so don't loose all hope until say around the last round of offers. Anything is possible.

Congrats on your high UAI! That was what I was aiming for, but I severely stuffed up too many of my exams.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
maz5 said:
There is still hope, I have to contact the Scholarships office within the next few weeks, so don't loose all hope until say around the last round of offers. Anything is possible.

Congrats on your high UAI! That was what I was aiming for, but I severely stuffed up too many of my exams.
6K a year will pretty much pay for uni

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
artist91 said:
it must be really hard to get a usyd scholarship! i got a 97.00 and didn't even get shortlisted! congrats to everyone who was luckier!
that's because it's selected on a set of criteria, one of which is academic performance

danz90

HSC
Just sent an email to the Faculty of Pharmacy. I wonder whether they'll tell me the outcome of my application via email...

danz90

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
in any case, ring them 2morrow, cause they are definitely open
I might sound desperate that way, although I might give them a call.
The lady I emailed (who is in charge of scholarships) is very speedy and always replies to emails very quickly - I've emailed her before about other things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)