School Assessment Policy (1 Viewer)

xxJTxx

HSC
Hiya,

I'm a Year 12 Student, who has entered ASSESSMENT LAND this term. Something that has been bugging me about assessments is that in our school assessment policy, it states that "teachers are to give students two weeks notification of the official date of an assessment task". Of course, that same assessment policy has in it all of the "weeks" an assessment is in, but not the "official date" which is what it says.

Of course, I knew from many months back that in Week Two of this term I'd have a 3U component B test. But, there was no notification of the official date, what content was in it etc until today (not two weeks). I have had previous encounterments with my school and this 'policy' of theres, when we haven't been given two weeks notice, and each and every friggen time, i've been told "You should have known this assessment was coming up"...well FRIGGEN duh I knew, but i'd still like notification of the date, what topics or at least what outcomes are being tested. The last time I made a formal appeal to the principal/school board, I was given the same reason I mentioned above.

I find myself constantly checking my assessment manual, and having to remind my teachers that assessments are coming up and we need notification for it to be two weeks. Not my duty, but I do it anyway. Unfortunately, i'm not a fan of my maths teacher, and so I didn't even bother reminding him before the easter break (cause i knew he would forget and thought i'd have a shot at getting an extra week to study lol)...but I doubt they will give us more time.

What is your school assess policy on how much official notification? Has an assessment been shifted into another week for you? If so, was this via formal appeal or casual talkings with the teacher concerned?

I dunno. I see it as MY RIGHT to have two weeks notice, just like it says it in my schools assessment policy. Afterall, if we have an assessment due before school (i.e before 8:30am), and we hand it in a little late (say 8:35am) we can lose 30%. This rule has been enforced in the past, and continues to be..but no one bothers to enforce the official two weeks notice. Which just pisses me off. Lol. I'm a little sick of appealing and the like, its just too draining and i'd rather focus on my self-teaching and all that then try and bother with my school anymore.

If you were bothered to read all of that, REPLY!

Erm..there's probably a thread about assessment tasks somewhere...but i just stuck this in general discussion..cause im in a rush!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well I guess you have to consider that schools will tend to give teachers the benefit of the doubt and allow students to appeal but generally unless an extremely good reason is given they are not granted. They do have a point you know it is in week 2 or whatever so you should be studying according i.e. if it says week 2 I would be studying and planning for it to be week 2 the first maths lesson I have.

2 weeks notice is 2 weeks really you should have due dates given to you by the teacher when they give the assignment sheet or at least talk about it in class, you are taking the right approach you should ask to make sure.

My old school did have the same 2 weeks notice of assessments and assessments handed in before 8.30am or you get 0%.

jirwin

HSC
our school has the 2 week policy. most of them are pretty good. english normally gives like 4 wks and stuff. we have an assessment booklet with the weeks - not the exact dates. In maths we are ALWAYS given a sheet with the topics covered/outcomes at least two weeks prior. it has never been a problem for us.

i totally agree with u tho. it is their responsibility. a week number doens't indicate the day - it could be monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday or even friday - they should specify the day!

we normally know what days its due in without being told e.g. dnt is always due on a friday and art/cafs are due mondays.

all our assessments are also due before 8.30 - if we are late we get a 0.

xxJTxx

HSC
erm.

i'm very aware of the week an assessment is IN, cause we have a timetable with all the weeks an assessment will run in. of course, this means i know when they are coming up. but it also says we are meant to be given notification of the "specific date"...:) tht was my 'issue'.

like jirwin said "it is their responsibility. a week number doens't indicate the day - it could be monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday or even friday - they should specify the day!"

and in the assessment manual it states teachers have to specify the date TWO weeks before..:) oh well. xD

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
The point WW is saying is why worry about something you can't change. You know the week whether it is at the start or end is immaterial. Besides all this worry, complaining as you have found wont get you anywhere.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
assessments due b4 8:30, if they're not, then you get a 0 and basically if you believe you shouldnt get the 0, you gotta appeal for it and have a pretty good reason why you came late, even if you were a few mins late

my bio ass wasnt given till one week b4 teh actual date and we didn't even know beforehand that the assessment was coming up, so basically we were given one week unexpectedly and we do have that 2 week policy, but they said that we didnt even need the 2 weeks....

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
And if your school doesn't give the actual detials of each assessment out in the assessment dates book and then they don't give you the details regarding the assessment at least 2 weeks beforehand, then you ahve a case.

xxJTxx

HSC
Mrmmm :) I've learnt not to care. I think I exhausted it in Year 10 and Year 11, when I made a few formal appeals.
I guess i'm just all about if there's something written down and its a strict procedural matter...it should be stuck too..not drifted away from whenever. :)
Anyway. Year 12. Last thing I want to worry about now is trying to skamper a few extra days for a 3U maths test. But it is a bit weird. It's worth 15% (outta 50..) which is weighted the same as our trial. SCARY STUFF! :D Time to study flat out for a while :D

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well if the school think it is a fair system all your appeals will keep getting knocked back. Just keep on doing what you have been and study in preparation for the test to be the first lesson of that week. :)

cutiebabyforeva

Coz I'm Cool Like That ;)
HSC
Yep my school has the same policy but doesnt always follow it. Especially for maths we dont always get 2 weeks "notice" with all the topics etc... I keep on telling the teachers about the effing 2 weeks policy and they dont listen and also say "you have been given notice (in the assessment booklet)" which is bullcrap because they never stick to that schedule so I dont rely on it too much.

We should all sue :D lol

But yeah Year12 in general is gay ha..... >.<

xxJTxx

HSC
Haha :D Sounds like my school cutiebabyforeva! :D

I actually think thats a good method for this term. This term is the crazy assess term for me..I have like one a week..sometimes two. I think if I just do them all as if they are due on the first day of that week, that will work very well XD Cut down procrastination time as well (not that I do much of that..:p) cause ill have to be on top of them all the time :D

cl3nta

HSC
in our school it is also 10 days (2 weeks) but I don't think I've had one assessment where this has been the case. When our yeargroup asked the HOD of various depts they just say "it's 10 days not 14" the funny thing is they only give us 5-8 tops. So just get over it and it should be fairly obvious what you're being assessed on so dw too hard:)

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
umm..
we get an assessment timetable at the beginning of the year that states when all the assessments are on..

it varies as to how long before the actual task is due,that the teachers give us detailed information aboutthe assessment...generally 3weeksish..

does anyone else have the school policy where you can only be granted consideration for each subject once...
ie. if we apply and are granted consideration for an exam we hada cold for.. we can't apply for it at the end of the year.. even if we have broken arms/hands etc..

cutiebabyforeva

Coz I'm Cool Like That ;)
HSC
xxJTxx said:
Haha :D Sounds like my school cutiebabyforeva! :D

I actually think thats a good method for this term. This term is the crazy assess term for me..I have like one a week..sometimes two. I think if I just do them all as if they are due on the first day of that week, that will work very well XD Cut down procrastination time as well (not that I do much of that..:p) cause ill have to be on top of them all the time :D
Yeah Ive started doing that method of actually starting the assessments in ADVANCE and not like 2 days before... Im actually WEEKS ahead of when my assessments are due :D :D wooooot!!! Procrastinating is the evil... you have to beat it! Im trying really hard to overcome it this term and it feels pretty damn good! :D

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
cutiebabyforeva said:
Yeah Ive started doing that method of actually starting the assessments in ADVANCE and not like 2 days before... Im actually WEEKS ahead of when my assessments are due :D :D wooooot!!! Procrastinating is the evil... you have to beat it! Im trying really hard to overcome it this term and it feels pretty damn good! :D
Heresy.

goosiegoo

HSC
It is your right to have two weeks notice. And by that i mean you should be notified formally. At my school we have a booklet of what week our assessments will be in, but the booklet doesn't say what the question is so we need a formal assessment.. sheet thing... and if the teachers change anything in that booklet they do it formally. We get an assessment sheet atleast 2 weeks before the assessment is due telling us the topic, due date and outcomes assessed...
And if they give it to with less than 2 weeks notice i complain and refuse to do the assessment at that time. Haha. But they never do that anymore, but i would go to someone if they didn't give me two weeks notice - because thats what it says in my assessment policy.

I think it's stupid that they're not giving you 2 weeks notice, and i think you definitely do have a case there... They can't complain that you're doing your assessments like, the night before, if they don't give you a formal notice in advance about it. Prrt to them!

nichhhole said:
does anyone else have the school policy where you can only be granted consideration for each subject once...
ie. if we apply and are granted consideration for an exam we hada cold for.. we can't apply for it at the end of the year.. even if we have broken arms/hands etc..
Thats a stupid policy! We don't have it... if you want to be granted consideration or an extension or something like that we just have to take our case to a committee and they decide.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)