Scholarships - Notification of success/failure (1 Viewer)

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
Originally posted by the wigged one
juliette,
could you please tell me what exactly what you have on your usyd scholarship application to be awarded one with distinction, coz i thought i had a pretty decent one, and i thought i got a good enough uai (99.75), yet i didnt get offered anything whatsoever. in fact, i havent even heard from them as yet.
the uai doesn't make a difference. as long as you get above 95 (to qualify for merit) or above 98 (to qualify for distinction) then after that it's purely based on extracurricular
though i'm surprised you haven't heard from them. most of my friends who didn't get one were sent a letter a long time ago. maybe you were short listed

!meeee!

Originally posted by Juliette
I was so shocked when I got my offer for a USYD Scholarship with Distinction ($8000 x years) as I only got 99.1, but have been really involved in extra-curricular political involvements, I guess that goes to show that it takes more than brains.

!Meeee! I thought about refusing my scholarship too but decided it would be crazy to throw away such a massive offer, imagine how much easier ift would be doing uni and never having to work etc, its like a paid job!
hey juliette, i read in another post that you got it for law/eco (social science). out of curiousity tho, if the uai cut-off stays the same (99.4) doesn't that make your uai below the cut-off for law? And isn't part of the criteria that you make the cut-off for your selected course?
Secondly, and again out of curiousity, which faculty awarded you the scholarship? I'm guessing it was from the economics/business cause i got mine for arts/law and it came from the arts faculty
finally congrats! incredible achievement both on the scholarship and uai. its definitely a great incentive to go to usyd

Juliette

Firstly, THE WIGGED ONE I'm sorry you havent heard from USYD about your application, it would definately be worth giving them a buzz about the status of your application on (02)93512717. If you would like to know about my involvements check your PM (I will send you the addy for my website - sorry I am a privacy paranoid)

Secondly, !MEEEE!, I had a successful application for Broadway Scheme (rurality, and a few other clauses) which theoretically means you can get in with 5 marks below the usual cut-off, but last year they let in ppl from 97.6 upwards, so I am extremely lucky to be able to feel confident about getting in (tho of course with your mark, I read in another thread, you can be confident too). And, yes, the law faculty dont usually award undergrad Uni of Syd scholarships, so mine was thru Eco and Business Faculty.

Congratulations to both of you on your amazing HSC achievement. It has been a real eye-opener for me to read thru this thread, as 99.1 topped my district but on the grand scheme of things I am a mediocre mind lol. Hope we will run into each other sometime @uni. Best wishes.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Does that mean that all the Usyd scholarships have already been offered? Including the access and Group of eight ones? Does any one know? And does any one know when they send you the thing saying that you didnt get a scholarship so you can finally give up all hope?

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
Does that mean that all the Usyd scholarships have already been offered? Including the access and Group of eight ones? Does any one know? And does any one know when they send you the thing saying that you didnt get a scholarship so you can finally give up all hope?
yes I think they have been offered a while ago now, I got rejected about a month ago.

!meeee!

Originally posted by Mambomeg
Why havent I been rejected yet? Or accepted? Why leave me waiting? Its all an evil plot......:mad:

my guess would be you were short-listed. when i was offered mine i was told a lot of ppl (over 100 i think) were short-listed depending on whether those offered scholarships went on to accept them

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
So I get to hang with a slight amount of hope until after offers are made and accepted? What Are the chances of people not accepting? Anyone know how many people dont accept each year?

!meeee!

the only people not accepting are those applying interstate
if you're only going to a uni in nsw you have to put the course you received the scholarship for as your first preference and thus those ppl have all accepted the scholarship by now
interstate people however might decide to take up an offer from another state and thus reject the scholarship at the date uni offers are released

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by !meeee!
if you're only going to a uni in nsw you have to put the course you received the scholarship for as your first preference and thus those ppl have all accepted the scholarship by now
SHIT!!! I got offered a scholarship for one course and accepted it, but now Ive changed my mind and Ive been wondering whether or not Ive been accepted for the other scholarships I tried out for:mad1:

!meeee!

Originally posted by mannnnndy

SHIT!!! I got offered a scholarship for one course and accepted it, but now Ive changed my mind and Ive been wondering whether or not Ive been accepted for the other scholarships I tried out for:mad1:
what i said doesn't apply to all unis. but it's the case for those specific usyd scholarships

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Woohooo!!!!! thankyou to whoever ditched their scholarship so that it could be passed on to me!!!!!!
Yeas, I finally heard, after having given up all hope! I got an access scholarship at Sydney for $3000 a year for up to 5 years!!!! wooohooo! now I'm gonna go laptop shopping!!!!
Hooray for short listings!!!! yipeee
*does a little jig*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)