Scholarship Bonus Points (1 Viewer)

allierocks

HSC
Hey there :)
My school told me today I've been awarded a scholarship to UNSW that includes a couple of bonus UAI points. Just wondering if anyone knew if this excludes any faculties as I am going to do law (elsewhere most likely) and don't think my UAI will quite reach 99 (although I'm hoping for the best!).

Any idea?

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
allierocks said:
My school told me today I've been awarded a scholarship to UNSW that includes a couple of bonus UAI points. Just wondering if anyone knew if this excludes any faculties as I am going to do law (elsewhere most likely) and don't think my UAI will quite reach 99 (although I'm hoping for the best!).

Any idea?
Same thing happened to me, i got a $4000 UNSW scholarship through my school :)

*So WOnderful*

HSC
allierocks said:

Any idea?
Are you sure you get "bonus UAI points"?
(I'm taking it as though you got awarded bonus points as part of the scholarship?)

I think principal may be refering to 2 different things, ie the "HSC plus scheme" and the "Academic Achievement Award" scholarship.

There's a website somewhere, where you can find out how many bonus points you can get for certain degrees, if you do well in a specific HSC subject eg get a band 6 in 2u maths, you'll get a bonus of 2 points automatically added to your UAI if you do science (it works something like that).

mathslover

HSC
i got that too... =] congrats to u =]
my careers advisor tol me i get bonus pts too.. n no it is not the same as the hsc bonus scheme... i find it weird that we get bonus points, bcz we're meant to be academic-oriented anyway? :S but ti suits me just fine getting extra bns pts, as well as the 4 K. =]
the 4 K doesnt have to be towards the uni fees does it? (even tho itd be wise to use it for that).
and are u aware that u still have to get into the uni in order to get the money?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Nah you wouldn't really be wise to use it for that, imo.
Think about it, you could buy a car, invest it, whatever... and meanwhile let all you uni fees go to HECS, pay it back later, no interest, you win.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
As far as I'm aware the Academic Achievement Award doesn't add any extra points to your UAI at all - it's just a sum of $4000 paid once and in the first year.

For Law at UNSW I'm quite sure you need a UAI >99 unless you apply under EAS or transfer after beginning a separate undergraduate degree. There are no bonus points for direct entry. That's what I thought anyway - maybe Frigid or someone else at UNSW can clear this up.

mermer

HSC
heyy i got that too ..is it true only one person in the entrie year get it?

*So WOnderful*

HSC
mathslover said:
one from each school, yer.
One from each PUBLIC high school - private high schools are excluded.

I'm more inclined to agree with nandayo, but maybe the rules changed since last year when I recieved it. *shrugs*

Basically, they pay the scholarship money into your nominated bank account around the end of April. Then you're free to spend it as you please!! (I thought they'd take it out of your HECS debt, but they don't so it's fantastic ...I'm going to use mine for something worthwhile - when I figure out what that is:p)

Congrats people!:D

allierocks

HSC
Thanks everyone, and congratulations to all those who got the scholarship at your school. I guess we'll just have to wait for the results! Good luck :)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
To clear things up regarding the extra points...

From the UNSW e-mail:

As your school's nominee you are entitled to:

1. a single payment of $4,000 following confirmation of enrolment at UNSW in Semester 1 2009; and

2. a guaranteed offer into a program at UNSW for which you have listed a preference in your UAC application (except for B Medicine/B Surgery) provided that:

your selection rank is within 5 points of the published cut off for the program;
you have met any Additional Selection Criteria for entry into the program; and
you have not received an offer to a higher preference.

mathslover

HSC
nandayo said:
To clear things up regarding the extra points...

From the UNSW e-mail:

As your school's nominee you are entitled to:

1. a single payment of $4,000 following confirmation of enrolment at UNSW in Semester 1 2009; and

2. a guaranteed offer into a program at UNSW for which you have listed a preference in your UAC application (except for B Medicine/B Surgery) provided that:

your selection rank is within 5 points of the published cut off for the program;
you have met any Additional Selection Criteria for entry into the program; and
you have not received an offer to a higher preference.
wow thank you ...
darn thatll come in handyy ..

P,S, i didnt get an email from unsw bout the email... did neone else ????

rajeenth

HSC
hey
i got this thing as well. does that mean if i got 93 it is GUARNTEED that i will get into a course with a UAI less than or equal to 98?

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
*So WOnderful* said:
One from each PUBLIC high school - private high schools are excluded.

I'm more inclined to agree with nandayo, but maybe the rules changed since last year when I recieved it. *shrugs*

Basically, they pay the scholarship money into your nominated bank account around the end of April. Then you're free to spend it as you please!! (I thought they'd take it out of your HECS debt, but they don't so it's fantastic ...I'm going to use mine for something worthwhile - when I figure out what that is:p)

Congrats people!:D
damn. :evilfire:

ademayd

HSC
I go to a private school and I got the AAA scholarship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)