Scaling (1 Viewer)

Sober

HSC
There are only three people in my 4 Unit Maths class. Our first test for year 12 was on complex numbers, I got all of it correct except the last question which was circle geometry and I completely stuffed up rendering a score of 85%. The other two guys I think got around 50%. Here is my question, can I still top the state? I doubt I will (and I'm not trying to be a cock) but I do not like to think that I am already in a worse state than I was at the start of the year. Hypothetically, if a person gets and overall class assesment mark of like 70% but still comes first in his class, is he still eligible to top the state?

SeDaTeD

HSC
As far as I know, if you're ranked first and you get the highest exam mark, I assume you would top the state. Someone fill in if I'm wrong.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I would agree, obviously you would need to be first at your school, and you would need to get the highest exam mark over the state to top the state. So yes, it is still possible to achieve it.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
For the class assessment, it's not really marks that matter so much as rank. You could average 60% in your school assessment marks because your school sets really hard tests, but if you maintain rank 1, then you could go out and blitz the HSC exam at top the state.

I_F

Sober

HSC
You all agreeing with me improves my confidence but I cannot be entirely sure. Imagine this scenario:

A and B are both members of the same class.
A gets class mark of 60%, HSC test of 100%
B gets class mark of 59%, HSC test of 59%

Surely they can then assume that the class tests were not overly difficult, lowering A's overall score. This is an extremem case but without seeing the actual formulas used I cannot know if this kind of reasoning would apply to less extreme cases.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I don't think Libling was first. And that didn't seem to matter much :p But if you're top of your school and get the top raw mark in the exam you're almost certainly going to get top of the state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)