Scaling of Each Question (1 Viewer)

:::a:::

Un******
HSC
Is there scaling applied to certain questions?

E.g. Does getting 12/12 in question 10 scale your exam mark higher?

You get the jist

ipod21

HSC
yeh, i think if u get 5 marks in Q10, that scales better then 12/12 in Q1. from what ive heard.

pissedoff

HSC
N/A
:::a::: said:
Is there scaling applied to certain questions?

E.g. Does getting 12/12 in question 10 scale your exam mark higher?

You get the jist
no. if you get 12 in q 10 and 8 in q1 and someone gets 12 in q1 and 10 in q 12 u get the same mark.

alignment is the transformation of a raw mark into a hsc mark and that hsc mark gets scaled according to difficulty and other factors

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
ipod21 said:
yeh, i think if u get 5 marks in Q10, that scales better then 12/12 in Q1. from what ive heard.
i highly doubt it. the way it works is that all the marks in the exam are added up, giving you your raw total, then you're scaled. scaling each individual question would be much too hard.

Un******
HSC
emo-kid-91 said:
i highly doubt it. the way it works is that all the marks in the exam are added up, giving you your raw total, then you're scaled. scaling each individual question would be much too hard.
but surely they would consider a student who got full marks in Q5 - 10 is smarter than a student who got full marks in Q1-6

if you get me...:santa:

"exam added up, giving raw total, then you're scaled" - how exactly do they do this...what exactly are they scaling when "scaling your raw mark"?

polinaaa

HSC
if someone got full marks in q5-10 wouldn't you assume they would get full marks in 1-5?

they don't scale every question.

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
no, it just means they have a different skill set. considering both 2u and 3u students sit this exam, the questions are set on a deliberate curve in order to separate the students.

2u students use q1-8 for mark hoarding and 9-10 for challenges - that's how it was presented to me. 3u students should, on the other hand, be able to do the paper straight through with few problems, if any.

Un******
HSC
emo-kid-91 said:
no, it just means they have a different skill set. considering both 2u and 3u students sit this exam, the questions are set on a deliberate curve in order to separate the students.

2u students use q1-8 for mark hoarding and 9-10 for challenges - that's how it was presented to me. 3u students should, on the other hand, be able to do the paper straight through with few problems, if any.
so no scaling is applied to your raw exam mark?

if there is scaling what do they do (on the whole, obviously you don't know precisely what the BoS does)?

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
scaling is done on the whole exam mark - not each individual question. didn't i already say that?

edit: all right. so you get given marks for each question. say, added up, you get 90/120. then that mark is scaled. not all the little marks that added up to 90.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)