Scaling/major-works/confusion (1 Viewer)

meg__

HSC
This is a last resort after talking to my career adviser and teachers-and not being too happy with the feedback. I am doing 13 units for my HSC (2006) which isn’t too much of a problem, however those units happen to involve four major works.

Firstly, is completing 4 major works near impossible? Secondly, should I reconsider doing subjects that scale badly even though I am probably better at them than ones which scale well? I am doing both English extensions and history extension, so I'm hoping they will be my saving grace, however I am completely unsure.

Any past experiences with major works, and scaling of drama/society and culture/business studies, would be VERY welcome. Thank you.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
meg__ said:
This is a last resort after talking to my career adviser and teachers-and not being too happy with the feedback. I am doing 13 units for my HSC (2006) which isn’t too much of a problem, however those units happen to involve four major works.

Firstly, is completing 4 major works near impossible? Secondly, should I reconsider doing subjects that scale badly even though I am probably better at them than ones which scale well? I am doing both English extensions and history extension, so I'm hoping they will be my saving grace, however I am completely unsure.

Any past experiences with major works, and scaling of drama/society and culture/business studies, would be VERY welcome. Thank you.
Hey meg, its not impossible but doing that many major works and doing that many units will be difficult which I'm sure you already know - the key thing is time management if you do it - something that can't be stressed enough for that kind of workload.
It also should be noted that at the higher performance levels, scaling is nowhere near as much an issue as make out to be, and don't forget that a 90 in Business is better than a 65 or 70 in Chemistry. So do subjects that you feel you enjoy and excel at rather than base your decision on scaling.
Having done EE2 this year and juggled 14 units for most of it, I can tell you that there is no real impediment to you doing well compared to others(not that I'm the benchmark for going well, lol) - simply that when you study you must be efficient at it and manage your studying in a time effective way ie while other students are learning to learn before the go to uni, you will be doing that in the next couple of months. On the other hand you have to look at what is most important to you as you are likely depriving yourself of the chance to do casual work or certain extracurricular activities that you might otherwise have done.
And though it shouldn't be a consideration for your choice of subjects, the scaling for all HSC courses is shown here: http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php
Hope this has helped you:)

chamelia

HSC
I did two major works (Dnt, Art) and I felt as though I used my time well but I stilll found it very hard to manage. I guess if your taking on 13 units then you will be concerned with good marks and doing everything the very best you can.
Even if you manage to complete 4 MW's (which I honestly believe will be very stressful) you will not be able to do all of them to the best of your ability and so the overall quality of your work will suffer and your marks will not be as high as they might have been if you had more time to pay attention to only 2-3 MW subjects.

meg__

HSC
Yeah, I don't think I really understood what I was getting myself in to. I'm just angry because I honestly don't want to drop any of my subjects. ESPECIALLY the ones with major works, they happen to be my favourite. Perhaps I'm crazy. Marks are very important to me, so focusing my energies should be a priority in therory...but in practice my biggest priority is leeearning. haha.

Do you guys have wacky study strategies this year? I read about a guy who used to wear a hat when studying, and couldnt study without it on.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
meg__ said:
Yeah, I don't think I really understood what I was getting myself in to. I'm just angry because I honestly don't want to drop any of my subjects. ESPECIALLY the ones with major works, they happen to be my favourite. Perhaps I'm crazy. Marks are very important to me, so focusing my energies should be a priority in therory...but in practice my biggest priority is leeearning. haha.

Do you guys have wacky study strategies this year? I read about a guy who used to wear a hat when studying, and couldnt study without it on.
If you are really keen to drop something and your major works are your favourite subjects, why not do away with business studies? That'd put you on 11 units and they'd be all mw subjects but with still the option of dropping either ee2 or histx if it gets too much for you later on.

meg__

HSC
Yeah, I have a lot of options to weigh up. Sooner rather than later?
Business studies is my break from constant essay writing, plus it comes easy to me (and the rest of the state), however I am thinking about dropping it. What subjects did you do?

chamelia

HSC
meg__ said:
My study consists of my writing out notes and they must be on torn up peices of paper. Then i have to walk in circles around my mum while i read them out loud....Its strange but it always works!..Gotta have a fairly tolerent parent though.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
meg__ said:
Yeah, I have a lot of options to weigh up. Sooner rather than later?
Business studies is my break from constant essay writing, plus it comes easy to me (and the rest of the state), however I am thinking about dropping it. What subjects did you do?
I do/did (gosh I'm a past student now! *sentimental tear*) EE2, MX2, Bio, Chem and Phys till the trials.
My trick is to listen to bad music while I'm doing maths - I suddenly become smarter:D

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
meg__ said:

thats weird lol, how does he do exams then? im sure most skewls wouldn't allow hats on

meg__

HSC
kami said:
My trick is to listen to bad music while I'm doing maths - I suddenly become smarter:D
What is 'good' music then?

NB. I think the hat boy only wore it while studying, not during exams. But its an interesting tactic. I plan to come up with one of my own.

MissyD

HSC
I did three major works art, DT, IPT let me just say, unless you are reallly good at keeping to a schedule your getting yourself in too deep!! I really suck at time management though, i got all my works done but it was stress central!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)