ok,

I'm currently doing
2U maths
3U english
Society and culture
chemistry
visual arts
legal studies

what should I drop at the end of this year, i want a uai of 91+ (yeah, I know I shouldn't play the scaling game...) help!
what is the scaling game?:confused:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Probably refers to what subjects scale higher or lesser, in some cases.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
It's when you do the most random subjects like Ext Classical Greek, Latin in hopes of getting scaled higher because not that many people do them. 4 unit maths also scales you well, but its chosen more over the subjects i first mentioned.

Or you could do the Distinction courses which you will have to have accelerated a subject in year 11. They are Cosmology, Philisophy and Comparative Literature. These courses are highly competitive and cater to gifted students.

cccclaire

HSC
I think it also means avoiding doing subjects just because they're scaled badly.

summermagic

HSC
Yeah, it's basically trying to go for the subjects that scale higher because they are under the delusion that they'll get a higher UAI.

Personally i think that is all rubbish! Subjects shouldn't be chosen on the basis of how it scales. I think that people are stupid for not choosing or dropping subjects that they enjoy just because they don't scale well. I know people at my school tend to do that A LOT.

I chose subjects that i enjoy and am good at. People are now constantly on about my 'low scaling subjects'. Well i sincerely hope i do better than them, because they constantly moan about how they hate their subjects. Well it's their fault.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
The system works in favour of those who choose subjects that they're good at. Scaling just puts everyone on a level playing field.

over9k

HSC
I'm probably gonna get screwed for picking General Maths and Standard English. :[

live.fast

HSC
N/A
I thought the scaling game meaaant choosin subjects like standard eng, gen maths, and subjects like dat, wen ur reaally way above dat standard, so dat u kill dem subjects, get like fully hektik state rankings in all of em, n get a uai of 99.xx .... ????

live.fast

HSC
N/A
but hypothetically speaaakin if sum1 got like hsc marks of 95+ in all der subjects, which included subjects like standard eng, general maths n stufff... wudn't dey get 99.xx + ...???

P

pLuvia

live.fast said:
but hypothetically speaaakin if sum1 got like hsc marks of 95+ in all der subjects, which included subjects like standard eng, general maths n stufff... wudn't dey get 99.xx + ...???
Well the chances of you getting 95+ for standard english is quite low only 6 people have even got a band 6 in standard english since the new syllabus started.

But if you somehow got 95+ in those subjects you are not guaranteed a 99+ UAI but quite close, totally depends on scaling but most likely you will.

ellen.louise

HSC
over9k said:
I'm probably gonna get screwed for picking General Maths and Standard English. :[
You'd be getting pretty much the same sort of marks in Advanced english. It doesn't scale that differently any more because the canditure tend to be about the same. It's just you don't get the bottom kids as well in advanced. It's because so many schools get the people who aren't really really pro to do standard, when really they could be doing advanced.

undalay

HSC
Wasn't scaling designed so you couldn't play it ?

If it scales higher, the lower the raw marks.
If it scales lower, the higher the raw marks.

But in the end, it would be around the same. It really just does depend on you.

cute-nesss

HSC
hmm..
i wonder if i'd be scaled up or down??

subjects:
- mathematics extention (3unit)
(for me, math is like alright. it's not that hard to understand and its not super easy, depending on what topic)

- english advanced (2unit)
(my english was average, but somehow this year i'm improving. i was amazed to get 13/15 for my 2pg , never gotton this mark before)

- chemistry (2unit)
(argg, chem is HARD! theres so much to memorise. most of the time when i finally understand something and the teacher goes bit further i get totally confused again!!)

- visual arts (2unit)
( i enjoy and LOVE this subject!! but the theory is sometimes a pain in the ass)

- IPT (2unit)
(i take this as a bludge subject, i never study or memorise the theories caus its soo boring. PLUS i get the worst marks here)

-religion (1unit) (compulsory in our skool)
(religion is EASY!!, i never study or anything for this subject but i get hiGH marks XD

hmm, my math isn't really THAT good but i'm still thinking of dropping either IPT or chemistry and take up math 4unit...
wut do u guys think?? is it a good idea or not??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)