scaling by school? (1 Viewer)

mcsausage

HSC
does your school's state rank determine how high(or low) the raw marks are scaled? for example, would a raw mark of 60 in biology be scaled up to a band 5 at a top school, but a raw mark of 60 in bio in a lesser-ranked school remain a band 3 or scaled up to 4? not quite sure so please correct me if i'm wrong

jessxxr

HSC
no, the actual rank of your school has nothing to do with marks as ranks are determined AFTER that year sits the hsc, so ranks change each year, but its just assumed by many that your rank affects your mark because schools that are frequently ranked high usually have high quality students and so have better quality marks as opposed to schools that are frequently ranked lower, it all just depends on the effort of your cohort, your marks could increase or decrease due to how your cohort goes

mcsausage

HSC
ok, so a score of 75 at an ordinary school is not as valuable as a 75 at james ruse, because of respective weak and strong cohorts? (as uncommon as a 75 is at james ruse...hahaha)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A 75 is worth the same whatever school you go to. The difference is that a low ranked student a James Ruse would probably be the one getting the 75 while at a low ranked school that 75 could be the top mark. Both students would end up getting the same scaling for the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)