scaling at UWS (1 Viewer)

scotthill

scotthill
HSC
is there scaling OR moderation at uws in terms of marks and how does it work
is it similar to HSC

L

LaraB

Also depends on the school it's in, how people do in the subject raw-marks wise etc

For instance, we were told by a lecturer that the school of management does not scale according to a fixed bell-curve "standard" whilst other schools do, they simply adjust the marks according to how well people did vs how well people should have gone and account for any major difficulties in teh assessment that messed people up, thing slike that.

Other schools may follow a fixed bell curve, others simply try to achieve a minimum number of pass marks etc. Some schools scale so negligibly it's almost non-existent.

Demandred

HSC
When I got some certificates for UWS it showed that for a popular unit (with about 150 studnets), its usually top 10% for HD and top 20% for D. For a less popular unit (with about 75 studnets), its ususally top 10% for D and top 5% for HD.

foxydena

HSC
I know for my school (school of computing & mathematics) they use the normal distribution (bell curve) to scale the marks accordingly, sometimes individual assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)