Scaling and Relevancy of Maths? (1 Viewer)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Re: How does scaling work? READ!

Originally posted by Cyph

Contrast the general candiature of Mathematics Extension 2 to General Mathematics where more of the students are less intelligent, as well as less hard-working, less dedicated, less committed to their studies and less determined to do well and perform below average in General Mathematics and other subjects they do.
Um, I find that rather offensive.:rolleyes:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC

You missed the key words. For the majority of students, this holds true, not ALL.

I did std. english, if someone was to call me illiterate ot stupid for doing so because they did adv. or extension 2, I'd laugh in their face.

I'm not saying people in General maths are stupid. You can't deny that there is a certain amount of intelligence and dedication required for extension 2 maths which isn't required for General. It's all relative, the overall course canditature in General Maths is poor considered to the overall course canditature of Extension 2 Maths. There are more students who do well in Extension 2 than General which is what boosts the scaling up. The same holds true for english courses.

No, I didn't miss anything.
But how do you think you'd feel if you were doing the HSC this year and trying really hard to keep up in General Maths, then came along and read that most people in that course are considered lazy and of inferior intelligence to other students?
I just think it ould have been phrased a little more tactfully...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Hmm, thanks. I did try to avoid that very problem, which is why I put in 'generally' and 'more'. I'll re-write it later if I can think of a better way to explain it, which I can't at the moment.

But, I'm sure most people in General or Standard subjects would agree. Some of the people in my std. english class were absolute drop kicks (there were some intelligent and hard working people though), there was far less in my extension maths class. Ironically, I was probably one of the drop kicks to other people in that class! :D
Well I did general maths. And I fit your explanation to a T and I'm not personally offended, but some people worked their arses off and still trailed behind. It wasn't that they lacked "dedication" to it or their other subjects-maths just wasn't their thing. *shrugg*

Mossad

But how do you think you'd feel if you were doing the HSC this year and trying really hard to keep up in General Maths, then came along and read that most people in that course are considered lazy and of inferior intelligence to other students?
Mate, the harsh reality is that the guy is right.
People who are doing general maths are either:
1. Unintelligent
2. lazy
3. Bad at/hates maths

It wasn't that they lacked "dedication" to it or their other subjects-maths just wasn't their thing. *shrugg*

Well guess what comes next. In case you got it wrong the answer is: 3

Why the fuck did you do maths for?

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Excuse me, I have a friend who doing general who is more than capable of ext 1, but it was a matter that her heart was with the humanities and she really needed to set priorities. So Mossad, I don't know what your fucking problem is, but get over it, I understand it in general terms but when you try and place EVERYONE who does general maths into your 3 little 'categories' you sound like an arrogant pig. Add to that the fact that you're wrong and really your way out of your depth buddy.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
Originally posted by YEAR12
Excuse me, I have a friend who doing general who is more than capable of ext 1, but it was a matter that her heart was with the humanities and she really needed to set priorities. So Mossad, I don't know what your fucking problem is, but get over it, I understand it in general terms but when you try and place EVERYONE who does general maths into your 3 little 'categories' you sound like an arrogant pig. Add to that the fact that you're wrong and really your way out of your depth buddy.
Yeah Mossad, i agree with YEAR12- you do sound like an arrogant pig! You do not know people's individual situations, so i don't think that you should fucking label them as 'unintelligent', 'lazy' or 'bad at maths'.

Mossad

Excuse me, I have a friend who doing general who is more than capable of ext 1, but it was a matter that her heart was with the humanities and she really needed to set priorities

Wow mate..you sound so bright i dunno if i should even comment...blah blah blah then why doesn't your friend do maths YEAR12?....if she can do it easily but she can't be bothered than she's LAZY....if she can't and you're just bullshitting me because you sound like a retard then she's 1 of the other 2 reasons.

Can you people even pretend to think aobut what i said instead of shooting out of your asses?....

P.S. I don't do maths because i suck at it and i hate it and i'm doing just fine in my other subjects. I'm no 4U guy, im speaking from experience.

losty

actually mossad i think i tend to agree with your 3 cateory thingy's... i mean it pretty much covers it all.... except the unintelligent would have to be refering to unintelligent at maths because they can be briiliant at their other subjects just not maths... and yes your right... if they are capable and dont do it then yes its laziness... and if its a matter of priorities as year 12 said then its laziness at a different level...

i personally dropped maths a week before half yearlys cause i was struggling and was doing well in my other subjects and it was just stressing me more... i could have dropped down to general which i think i would have blitzed (im not being up myself im sorry if i came across that way) because i did advanced in 9 and 10 and a lot of the work is similar and extends on it... but im just too dam lazy to catch up on 1 1/2 yrs work!!

Mossad

cheers mate :)

yeah i gave up on maths eversince year 11...i don't like it and i'm not good at it, so why bother...there are plenty of other nice subjects to choose from

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If I was in charge of the Board of studies, I'd move to abolish general maths altogether. Why? Because ppl that do general ON AVERAGE dont really need to, or their intended uni course doesnt require it. Secondly, u never see any uni courses that have an assumed knowledge of General Maths. And thirdly, the 2U mathematics course is probably even easier than general in some aspects, and if u wanted to learn mathematics, u'd do 2u, and if u didnt, u simply dont do maths.

losty

Originally posted by MinAi
Secondly, u never see any uni courses that have an assumed knowledge of General Maths.
No, you dont, you are correct there, however what you do see under assumed knowledge is "any two units of maths" which means that general people can do that course as opposed to if "mathematics" was assumed knowledge... therefore in some cases general ppl are better off than those who do no maths

Mossad

Bwahaha, you fucking stupid whore.

This comes from a girl who does extension 2 english...
Thanks Cygh....ROFL

I think that MinAi is completely supporting my argument...either you're good at maths and you like and require it for UNI for subjects such as medicine and science subjects or you stay the fuck out of it...why friggin bother and fail it...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
a LOT of subjects are never prerequisites for UNI courses...does that mean we should abolish all of them too?

Mossad

ofcourse not...but fact is that maths is not like every other subject for a few reasons:
1. It's required for UNI for a large numbers of courses
2. It's a 'classic'/'common' subject, which traditionally is done by highly intelligent people. I ofcourse am opposed to this opinion because i dont' like maths, which is why i don't do it, yet i still magically consider myself to be smart :rolleyes:.
3. As a result of 1 & 2 there is a situation where people do maths because they want to be considered smart and want to make a good impression on universities when trying to enter into courses in which maths isn't a prerequisite...i know so many people who are doing general or advanced maths because they want to get into subjects such as law and other humanities in uni, they are excellent at humanities but not at maths and their marks in it are accordingly low...
For example, you won't see any people that are doing business or legal studies because they think it makes a good impression or don't want to be considered as not smart, that happens only with maths as far as i know...

In that case general maths is regarded is the 'default' eventohugh its not...no maths is the default maths...people can do a lot better subjects for their uai such as english extentions if they want to get into courses that do not require maths...

I absolutely agree with everything MinAi said, i think that general maths should be repealed due to all the reasons mentioned. Furthermore, i think that its about time that teachers convey to students that maths is no longer sacred and that if a student wants to be a lawyer, or an artist, or an historian or any other academic subject they do not have to do maths to achieve it if they don't like and/or aren't good at it...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Mossad
ofcourse not...but fact is that maths is not like every other subject for a few reasons:
1. It's required for UNI for a large numbers of courses
2. It's a 'classic'/'common' subject, which traditionally is done by highly intelligent people. I ofcourse am opposed to this opinion because i dont' like maths, which is why i don't do it, yet i still magically consider myself to be smart :rolleyes:.
3. As a result of 1 & 2 there is a situation where people do maths because they want to be considered smart and want to make a good impression on universities when trying to enter into courses in which maths isn't a prerequisite...i know so many people who are doing general or advanced maths because they want to get into subjects such as law and other humanities in uni, they are excellent at humanities but not at maths and their marks in it are accordingly low...
For example, you won't see any people that are doing business or legal studies because they think it makes a good impression or don't want to be considered as not smart, that happens only with maths as far as i know...

In that case general maths is regarded is the 'default' eventohugh its not...no maths is the default maths...people can do a lot better subjects for their uai such as english extentions if they want to get into courses that do not require maths...

I absolutely agree with everything MinAi said, i think that general maths should be repealed due to all the reasons mentioned. Furthermore, i think that its about time that teachers convey to students that maths is no longer sacred and that if a student wants to be a lawyer, or an artist, or an historian or any other academic subject they do not have to do maths to achieve it if they don't like and/or aren't good at it...
I don't think many people do general maths cos they think it will look good...people are prety aware that it actually does not look good at all! (I certainly was, anyway.)
But I agree that teachers should point out that you aren't headed for academic failure just cos you don't do maths...people seem to feel obligated to do general maths cos otherwise they "won't be able to get into UNI"-but as you said, it isn't really a prerequisite for any course, and you'd be just as well off doing 2 units of fucking modern dance.
But there were some parts of the course that were quite useful...like financial maths-you could actually use that knowledge in a real life situation, which is more than I can say for a lot of other subjects. And just the logical reasoning of it, I think that is a good skill to have. AND-a lot of peopel (myself included...) drop down to general from 2 unit. In most cases-it would be too late to transfer to a different subject if you've already been doing 2 unit for awhile, so if there wasn't an easier maths course to move into, I would've been shit out of luck.
Anyway...I am glad I did general maths. I enjoyed it a lot more than many of my other subjects, even if I don't look like some brilliant scholar for it-but that was never my intention.

blazezs

If I was in charge of the Board of studies, I'd move to abolish general maths altogether. Why? Because ppl that do general ON AVERAGE dont really need to, or their intended uni course doesnt require it. Secondly, u never see any uni courses that have an assumed knowledge of General Maths. And thirdly, the 2U mathematics course is probably even easier than general in some aspects, and if u wanted to learn mathematics, u'd do 2u, and if u didnt, u simply dont do maths.
thats so true...............i was going to do General Maths cause everyone was telling me it was easy n stuff like that........

But then i thought to myself, why the heck do i wanna do General Maths? Why would i do any maths at all anyway :D

Its not like you will need it with modern technology we have today :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by blazezs
Its not like you will need it with modern technology we have today :)
mm..a lot of the foundation maths I'm doing now seems pointless because it can all be done on computers

blazezs

mm..a lot of the foundation maths I'm doing now seems pointless because it can all be done on computers

hehehe no one ever believes me that there is no need to do maths :)

It's kindof futility to do it anywayh with the kind of technology we got today :D

Its still possible to get a really good UAI without Maths :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by blazezs
Its still possible to get a really good UAI without Maths :p
Yes! I know someone from my school last year got 99.7 or there abouts without ANY Maths or Sciences or Classical languages! So it can be done! :)

Mossad

I ended up finishing both 1st in my class in both year 11 and 12 and in the top 5 out of over 100 students in both years too. I could have easily done adv...

but its not aout of laziness that ppl do standard english or general maths

Oh?....then what is it about

Some ppl dont like it, so why should they pick adv english so they have to struggle with it under the circumstance of not liking it

Because you want to get a good UAI and are willing to work your ass off for it...

Surely a self proclaimed genious such as yourself would have had no problems whatsoever to do and be successful at advance english...yet you don't do it...nuf said...:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)