Scale up or down?? (1 Viewer)

kcluk

Just wanna ask...."scalings" are some algorithm done to the HSC raw mark to obtain a scaled mark rite???
so will the "scaling" be pulling up or dragging down the raw mark...
say if i got 80% raw mark for this years 2u Maths exam....wot would an approx. scaled mark be??

I looked on the UAC.ed.au site.....and according to the tables and info, it says that most courses scale down cept extension courses....
said something like getting 80% hsc mark will get an approx 72 scaled.......
and getting 72% 4u maths raw mark gets scaled to 84%......thats imposible but???

anyone...plz advice.....
appreciated

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
the raw mark gets scaled up. il giv u an example. u get 75% in a difficult 2 unit maths test, this mite get aligned to 90%. ur scaled mark wud end up bein somethin like 82%.

when it says courses r scaled down it means they r scaled down from the aligned mark

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
That's not always true.

As a general guide to whether raw marks have been scaled up or down in the past, see:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

The raw marks for courses with positive loadings were, on average, scaled up.

It's difficult to quantify exactly how much a particular raw mark will be scaled, because almost no data has been published regarding raw marks.

kcluk

but the most important is the UAI......so the UAI takes ur raw marks.....and do they scale it up or down.......
and.....would it be possible getting a 90uai if raw marks are in the 80s except english which is 70.....
because on UAC their reports say that middle UAI is 66 and that means students are getting 70-80 HSC marks.....
that realli scares me

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
kcluk said:
but the most important is the UAI......so the UAI takes ur raw marks.....and do they scale it up or down.......
and.....would it be possible getting a 90uai if raw marks are in the 80s except english which is 70.....
because on UAC their reports say that middle UAI is 66 and that means students are getting 70-80 HSC marks.....
that realli scares me

it depends on what courses the person is doing. If they said that to get a 66 you need 70-80 marks, i assume they are talking about aligned HSC marks, not raw ones?

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
That's not always true.

As a general guide to whether raw marks have been scaled up or down in the past, see:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

The raw marks for courses with positive loadings were, on average, scaled up.

It's difficult to quantify exactly how much a particular raw mark will be scaled, because almost no data has been published regarding raw marks.
as far as i can read on that scaling site... nothing gets scaled down, its just the courses with say -1 were scaled below the average scaling rate... so even the courses scaled -34 were not scaled down but were scaled -34 below the average scaling rate... wateva the scaling rate is.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
i am of the belief of... do the best u can and let it scaling take care of itself.

kcluk

thnx for replies......i was freakin out myself......
i think ill be getting 80ish or high 70s for all my exams.....
is that good or bad?

superbird

HSC
i dont see wat the big deal is. if ur averaging band 5's or 6's then ur pretty much guaranteed a UAI of 80+

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i have just noticed something. come hsc time, peole become far too eager to find a uai estimate instead of using that time maximising their uai in that time. this too includes me as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)