SC science question (1 Viewer)

Dyldodeath

HSC
Brendan conducted an investigation in which he:
•mixed two solutions
•filtered the precipitate which formed
•placed some of the solid into a crucible (labelled N)
•heated the crucible with a Bunsen burner (labelled M) to dry the solid.

(a)Explain why the crucible (labelled N) is a more appropriate choice than a beaker (labelled P) to dry the solid. ............................................................................................................................... ...............................................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................

I know it is a simple question but has anyone got a scientific answer to this
thanks

Last edited:

Crazynesss

HSC
Just so ya know. You can't link directly to a file on your computer. Host the image on a website like Photobucket or Imageshack.

xV1P3R

HSC
Aren't crucibles made for high temperatures? So I guess that would be a good enough reason and if you directly heat a beaker it cracks?
Hope that helps.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Dyldodeath said:
Brendan conducted an investigation in which he:
•mixed two solutions
•filtered the precipitate which formed
•placed some of the solid into a crucible (labelled N)
•heated the crucible with a Bunsen burner (labelled M) to dry the solid.

(a)Explain why the crucible (labelled N) is a more appropriate choice than a beaker (labelled P) to dry the solid. ............................................................................................................................... ...............................................................................................................................

I know it is a simple question but has anyone got a scientific answer to this
thanks
its exposed to air and not constricted so it can evaporate faster and more effectively, if u tried to dry the solid in the beaker, there would be water vapour (assuming there was water) on the glass of the beaker and it would just condense and go back in so it wudn't be dry...

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
xV1P3R said:
Aren't crucibles made for high temperatures? So I guess that would be a good enough reason and if you directly heat a beaker it cracks?
Hope that helps.
but u wudn't directly heat it, u wud use a gauze mat

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Hmm.
I'm not sure.
Crucible I suppose as has been mentioned, is designed for heating, can withstand high temperatures. maybe also traps heat, accelerating the heating process, or maybe eliminates the risk of something flicking out of the beaker, because the crucible has a lid.
but I dont know if thats a full mark answer.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
its exposed to air and not constricted so it can evaporate faster and more effectively, if u tried to dry the solid in the beaker, there would be water vapour (assuming there was water) on the glass of the beaker and it would just condense and go back in so it wudn't be dry...
that is intelligent.

moey187

HSC
The crucible doesn't allow any matter to be lost whereas the beaker is open and matter can be lost. Matters such as gases are trapped by the crucible, this is not the case for beakers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)