SC 2007 - English-literacy (1 Viewer)

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
For the laughter question, I wrote an opinionated essay on why laughter is such a universal theme to human beings all over the world.
Wow, that sounds good. Most people wrote about clowns. Clowns are the last thing I think of, I think they're seen more as being scary.

HSC
yeah i hated the english laughter theme. i completely screwed it up since i ended up writing a motivational speech instead of a narrative-dumb me who doesnt read the question.

multiple choice was fine in both english and science.
for satelite question i wrote about mobile phones, what did the smart people out there write?? :p

Dimplez

HSC
looking back on it mine was probably the most unstructured piece of crap I've ever written...I loved multiple choice and short answer though! =)

Lothy

HSC
bored of sc said:
oh!!! what was the answer to the short answer: the difference between the word 'degree'- i said one is like an educational qualification and one is the level or amount of something...???

and what was the meaning of the word "unsurpassed" or something - i said unbeliveable but on second thought i think it's unbeaten (which was subconsciously my gut instinct!!! grrrr...)
You had the same as what I had for the degree question.

And for unsurpassed I selected Unbeaten. Seemed to be the only one that fit.

militiaman

HSC
Wasn't there also a something else in the question with that writing piece at the end? I thought it said something like it had to be descriptive (though I know it wasn't descriptive, something like that).

Can't remember though, I wasn't bothered by it. I'd rate this year's writing task as being pretty bad, not because it was hard to think of what to write, but because it wasn't a very structured task. It seems they will have to mark us on the type of writing piece we did individually, and base our competence on how well we wrote that.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Imaginative was the criteria, I believe.

I'd rate it good in the sense that it's creative but bad in the sense that it's not really comparable to anyone else.

Ruined-Phate

HSC
Kujah said:
Now you guys have to face Geography tomorrow :D
The joy is overwhelming. :mad1:

English was pretty easy IMO - I think I may have screwed up a little in the radio interview a little however.

OASIS92

HSC
i think it was
URL, Toolbar and Graphics

not colour - im guessing: because it was black and white in the exam

militiaman

HSC
Yeah, that sounds right ajdlinux. So things like essays probably don't fit under that description if they're marking to it. The laughter as a universal theme may fall under it though...

OASIS92

HSC
militiaman said:
phew, thanks. I was fearing that I might be marked down for not having a huge response to that first question (mine went for about 4 lines). How long did people make this interview?

Oh and I was pretty confident with the busy thing. Trying to think of more...

- For the Yowie webpage it asked "What features of a webpage are shown?" (or something like that). I remember that this was a tricky question (none of them seemed to fit perfectly), what did you guys put?
- Another birds one, what did you put for how that shopkeeper felt?
- Barry Hall one, I said that the author mentioned other players to highlight Hall's features, rather than another answer that said to show that other players have these qualities.
i think it was
URL, Toolbar and Graphics

not colour - im guessing: because it was black and white in the exam

shaZ-

HSC
omg science killed my life!

SATELLITES?? sureee buudddy! LOL

took me like 20mins to come up wit sumthin to write fo english. rahh! and it still turned out crap LOL

hist & geo gonna kill my life tmro.

militiaman

HSC
IMO that question was stuffed. The one with colour in it was stupid because 1. It was printed in black and white and 2. I would not call colour a feature of a webpage. The one with the toolbar in it doesn't seem right because usually the toolbar is the top bar with things like 'File', 'Edit' etc. (though I guess this is browser specific), and I would not say that a toolbar is a feature of a webpage, it is a feature of a web browser.

English should stick to English, not Computer Skills ;)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Yeah, the problem is it's actually pretty hard to tell whether or not it's colour as the exam is printed black and white. But it's always better to be safe and say it's not colour.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
militiaman said:
Yeah, that sounds right ajdlinux. So things like essays probably don't fit under that description if they're marking to it. The laughter as a universal theme may fall under it though...
It was pretty imaginative. I wrote something like:
"They say laughter is the best medicine. Although that may be true in a metaphorical sense, it is not an accurate analogy of the term. Laughter can never be compared to medicine. For, while medicine is used to prolong life, laughter gives a reason to prolong that life."

trc4eva

HSC
i never thoguht about clowns for the laughter question.
me and most of my friends had the whole thing about being sad or depressed and then laughter as sum sorta punchline
my one was about a girl who thought she wasnt sad but she really was and i ended it with
'and then i heard someone say,"i dont get fat cuz i laugh alot" '
since my story was about a girl being kinda overweight

my friend said that one day....how since we use so much muscles to laugh that was why she didnt get fat
i thouht it was funny xD

funnythat

Clinging to Sanity
HSC
I remember reading earlier everyone saying "Gee I hope that it isn't a creative writing task!" so when I opened the "mustard", as our supervisor said, sheet, I couldn't help but smile. I was ecstatic! Creative writing is my, let's say, forte so I was over the moon. Even though I stuffed it up =/ I had a brilliant idea but it wasn't exactly "imaginative" so I wrote about space and the stars laughing and it sucked as a story. I just hope it gets the marks *shrugs*

Otherwise, the rest of the test was fine. Although, some people in my year, for the interview, just wrote a massive block of text without an interview at all! Actually...

Could people tell me, will that get them many marks? Because it specifically asked for an interview and not a block of text, so therefore not appropriate format for the question?

Hrm. I should really be studying right now...

Artemis13

HSC
I thought the exam was a breeze, really. I was shit scared that the writing tasks would be really bad, like our trial question: "What makes an Australian Hero" but they were surprisingly good. I remember telling my friend that if there was a narrative-style question where I could write about an insane person, I'd be happy. I got what I wanted.
I loved that task.

I hate multiple choice, always have, always will. I simply can't do them. I think too much. Or I just don't think on the same wavelength as the people who make the questions. But I think I did all right.

By the way, is there anyone else who thought that the text about the footy players was absolute, stupid crap?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Overall, I feel that exam went pretty well for me.

flaminwaffle

HSC
is the text getting smaller an acceptable technique for that question where it said this is not me over and over again? i cant remember if it said language technique or technique in general >;O

Dreams

HSC
My story was not funny, it was deep, emotive, dark, and very descriptive. I talked about how I was trapped in a dark void of my own mind, confined to memories and thoughts. I looked back on my life and it was all work, no joy, no laughter. I realised friends and laughter/joy/etc were more important than I thought. In the end it's all happy with me being with friends and family, laughing together, enjoying one another's company, etc. I loved it.

The text on the footy players was lol. Funny, somewhat interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)