SBHS may relax entry requirements (1 Viewer)

m.jakaran

HSC
Okay, I'm just going to be very politically incorrect here. Anyway, I see this as a positive move for the school. The intake of 30/180 non-selective places shouldn't significantly dilute the academic standard but it should increase the number of anglo-Australian students from 25/180 to around 55/180 which means far greater participation is GPS sports etc...

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha none of the peasants can compete with Grammar. They can't beat the rest of the GPS at sport and now they'll lose to us in the HSC rankings!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, I'm just going to be very politically incorrect here. Anyway, I see this as a positive move for the school. The intake of 30/180 non-selective places shouldn't significantly dilute the academic standard but it should increase the number of anglo-Australian students from 25/180 to around 55/180 which means far greater participation is GPS sports etc...
I don't think it's politically incorrect rather more casual racism tbh.

So my 2 cents, a selective school is a selective school. If it's going to be a selective school, it's admission is based primarily on whatever academic testing they deem ft (selective schools test etc.) with also a concession for who would contribute well sports, culturally, volunteering etc. (as well roundedness is a good attribute). Other factors should not come into play, like where you live etc. if the school is for a pure academic selection purpose. Many flaws arise in the partially selective model, as even though you can have the junior classes effectively streamed, they way yr 11/12 subjects work in NSW essentially means you will be mixed in the end (except for some subs that naturally attract the 'selective student' calibre).

Haha none of the peasants can compete with Grammar. They can't beat the rest of the GPS at sport and now they'll lose to us in the HSC rankings!
Doing a whole lot there for the socio-economic discrimination normally associated with Grammar there. Bravo.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Sydney boys also get alot more government funding than any other government and selective public school!

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it's politically incorrect rather more casual racism tbh.

So my 2 cents, a selective school is a selective school. If it's going to be a selective school, it's admission is based primarily on whatever academic testing they deem ft (selective schools test etc.) with also a concession for who would contribute well sports, culturally, volunteering etc. (as well roundedness is a good attribute). Other factors should not come into play, like where you live etc. if the school is for a pure academic selection purpose. Many flaws arise in the partially selective model, as even though you can have the junior classes effectively streamed, they way yr 11/12 subjects work in NSW essentially means you will be mixed in the end (except for some subs that naturally attract the 'selective student' calibre).

Doing a whole lot there for the socio-economic discrimination normally associated with Grammar there. Bravo.
they insult us alot too

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sydney boys also get alot more government funding than any other government and selective public school!
Still boggles my mind how much particular private schools receive government funding per student. Ludicrous when you saw what some rural state schools were getting/resources they lacked. That's more of a crux of inequality imho, but public school funding should be split in a equitable and rational way, so I would be surprised if SBHS was getting a disproportionate amount of funding.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/elite-schools-spend-20-million-a-year-on-upgrades-20130316-2g7ez.html (reminded me of this article)

as a uni student I am supposed to care...?
It can be dangerous to take an apathetic stance to things just because they don't directly involve you. I know HS education is important, and will always be a firm supporter and have an interest in public education. If you have that ideology for everything, it's flow on logic to things like "As an australian, am I supposed to care about X,Y,Z country?" and "As a heterosexual, am I supposed to care about homosexuals and equality?". So it is still possible to care about things that aren't directly affecting you directly.

they insult us alot too
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Two wrongs don't make a right etc.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
the graduates from private schools often get into higher positions in society because of nepotism and will prefer to boost their old schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)