Sample proportion questions ? (1 Viewer)

stupidpersonlol

HSC
Hi everyone,

Seeing how Advanced was so focused on new syllabus stuff I'm lowkey concerned that ext 1 is also gonna be like that. Does anyone have any sample proportion questions by any chance? I don't think I'm familiarised enough with it. All good if not. Thank youuuuu

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Here are a few questions that I believe would help:

1. Suppose that 45% of all HSC students exercise at least 4 days each week. If a random sample of 50 students is taken, what is the probability that at least 80% of them exercise at least 4 days per week?

2. It is known that 24% of HSC students do not have a driver’s licence. In a random sample of 16 HSC students, what is the probability that half of them will not have a driver’s licence?

3. A computer simulation is designed to draw random samples of size from a large dataset. The proportion of the population that exhibits a certain characteristic is. If represents the sample proportion exhibiting the characteristic under investigation, find the largest sample size that should be used so that the standard deviation of is at least 0.01.

4. A manufacturer makes earbuds that have a probability of 0.02 of being defective. Quality control officers test random samples of 50 earbuds each hour and reject the earbuds made in that hour if at least 3 earbuds are defective. Find the probability that the earbuds made in any hour will be rejected. Answer to 2 significant figures.

5. It is estimated that approximately 45% of Australians will experience a mental health condition in their lifetime. If a random sample of 120 mature adults were surveyed, what is the probability of 48 or more having experienced a mental health condition?

I hope this helps! :D

stupidpersonlol

HSC
Here are a few questions that I believe would help:

Suppose that 45% of all HSC students exercise at least 4 days each week. If a random sample of 50 students is taken, what is the probability that at least 80% of them exercise at least 4 days per week?

It is known that 24% of HSC students do not have a driver’s licence. In a random sample of 16 HSC students, what is the probability that half of them will not have a driver’s licence?

A computer simulation is designed to draw random samples of size from a large dataset. The proportion of the population that exhibits a certain characteristic is. If represents the sample proportion exhibiting the characteristic under investigation, find the largest sample size that should be used so that the standard deviation of is at least 0.01.

A manufacturer makes earbuds that have a probability of 0.02 of being defective. Quality control officers test random samples of 50 earbuds each hour and reject the earbuds made in that hour if at least 3 earbuds are defective. Find the probability that the earbuds made in any hour will be rejected. Answer to 2 significant figures.

It is estimated that approximately 45% of Australians will experience a mental health condition in their lifetime. If a random sample of 120 mature adults were surveyed, what is the probability of 48 or more having experienced a mental health condition?

aww thank you jimmy :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
hi would you have the solutions to this?
Yep! I will organise the solutions into spoilers, as follows:

Note: For all questions, apply the tests and to determine if the distribution of the sample proportions can be approximated using the normal distribution.

1637212712509.png

The distribution of the sample proportions can be approximated using the normal distribution with:

1637212739758.png

The probability that at least 80% of them exercise at least 4 days per week is approximately zero. Alternatively solve using binomial probability:

1637212800225.png

1637212893844.png

The distribution of the sample proportions cannot be approximated using the normal distribution.

Solve using binomial probability:

1637212947782.png

Assuming the distribution of the sample proportions can be approximated using the normal distribution then:

Solve for n such that 1637213117905.png

1637213134451.png

The largest sample size that can be used is 1875.

1637213192325.png

The distribution of the sample proportions cannot be approximated using the normal distribution.

1637213229515.png

The solution to Question 5 will be included in the next post.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Here is the solution to Question 5:

1637213350808.png

The distribution of the sample proportions can be approximated using the normal distribution with:

1637213371924.png

48 represents a sample proportion of 0.4

1637213414419.png

walaili

HSC
Yep! I will organise the solutions into spoilers, as follows:

Note: For all questions, apply the tests and to determine if the distribution of the sample proportions can be approximated using the normal distribution.

View attachment 33845

View attachment 33846

The probability that at least 80% of them exercise at least 4 days per week is approximately zero. Alternatively solve using binomial probability:

View attachment 33847

View attachment 33848

View attachment 33849

Assuming the distribution of the sample proportions can be approximated using the normal distribution then:

Solve for n such that View attachment 33850

View attachment 33851

The largest sample size that can be used is 1875.

View attachment 33852

View attachment 33853

The solution to Question 5 will be included in the next post.
hi thanks so much, i thought it was np>5 instead of 10 to apply the normal approximation? or did my teacher give me the wrong info

Siwel

HSC
hi thanks so much, i thought it was np>5 instead of 10 to apply the normal approximation? or did my teacher give me the wrong info
there are different ways to justify, i think as long as you say what one you are doing and justify it should be alright

walaili

HSC
thanks everyone! btw could someone please clarify what p(hat) means? (ok not 'fat')

like what would p(hat)=X/n be?

eg for Q1, is p(hat) X/n = 0.8/50? since X=0.8 or am I wrong?

walaili

HSC
and for Q2, can we use the continuity correction instead? or is it still too small

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks everyone! btw could someone please clarify what p(hat) means? (ok not 'fat')
Essentially, p-hat is the proportion of individuals in the sample who have that particular characteristic. In other words, it is the number of individuals in the sample who have that characteristic of interest divided by the total sample size (n).

Jerryclover

HSC
Note: For all questions, apply the tests
and
to determine if the distribution of the sample proportions can be approximated using the normal distribution.
Wait... Is this necessary? I know this exists but have never seen it used in answers to questions on sample proportions

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Wait... Is this necessary? I know this exists but have never seen it used in answers to questions on sample proportions
Those thresholds are a “guide”, not a hard and fast rule. Very unlikely you will get questions that are right on the margins of that threshold. Most of the time it will be pretty obvious whether a normal approximation is required or not. At the end of the day, the approximation exists to compensate for an overly cumbersome calculation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)