• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

same sex relationships - family HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

jodes_w

hey guys, i just need some help with an assessment, its worth 40% so i wanna do a good job... i need to discuss the effectiveness of the law on same sex relationships.... i need to refer to a case, a piece of legislation, a newspaper article... and conduct a survey which i will post later! anyway, thanks for any help you may be able to give me...

santaslayer

HSC
Here are some pointers: :)

CASE?

1)Case of Kevin and Jennifer- Marriage between a female to a male transexual was valid and the definition of a 'man' was based on contempoary idealogoies. :p (SMH-'Transexual wins marriage battle' Oct 10 2001)

2) Ball V Newey and Another 1988- Joint account for a loan made as a couple. Ball's partner died and applied for provision under his will through Family Provision Act 1982 but was refused. Partner had to apply through Equity Division instead.

Legislation?

1) De Facto Relationships Legislation Amendment Act (1999)- Main basis of legal recognition for homosexuals.

2) Property (Relationships) Legislation Amendment Act (1999)- Provides 'widowed' partner with a share to the will.

3) Adoption Bill 2000- Prohibits Homosexuals from adopting childeren but are able to rear child through IVF in recognition of the federal Discrimination Act

4) Crimes Amendment (sexual offences) Act -lowered sexual consent of homosexual males from 23 to 16.

Ask anyone anymore questions if you are still struggling through this forum. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)